Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
After digging some more, I think the not working DP -> HDMI cable may be caused by the cable not including an active DP -> HDMI2.0/1.4 converter which may be required for correct handling by macOS (it does work on Windows though).
The Flex IO HDMI (400/600/800) port is a 2.0a port which isn't supported natively by Coffee Lake (it only does HDMI 1.4), so it most likely has a LSPCON chip on board, which needs to be taken into account when configuring the ports.
I'll play around with it and report back if I find something useful.
I've had similar experience with passive usb-c to hdmi cables. If UHD630 igpu is running the port, it works in Windows but not in OSX.
Some monitors/TVs work, and some don't. But if the port is assigned to my GPU (AMD WX4170) then the cable works with all OS's.
Active converters always work.

Did some more testing today:
Enabling the LSPCON patch and enabling it for con2 doesn't help with the wake issues for HDMI but instead breaks wake for DP too (even though the patch isn't enabled for that connector), you'll just get a green screen on wakeup on DP and a kernel panic on wake I haven't debugged any further.
I tested every combination with and without explicitly setting con2 props (HDMI) and the props for con0 and con1 (DP) for busID etc. Nothing led to a change in behaviour, if something changed it changed for worse.

While checking threads about blackscreens on HDMI connected displays after wake it seems like it's a common problem which got worse on BigSur - even on normal macs there seem to be rather massive problems with HDMI and wake.

I suppose the best thing you can do for HDMI connectivity is using an active DP 1.2 -> HDMI 2.0a cable or adapter (so no HDR but HDCP 2.2 - not relevant for BigSure but still nice to have when dual booting) and avoiding native HDMI ports alltogether. If I come around buying an active adapter or cable I'll report back my findings.

Last edited:
I suppose the best thing you can do for HDMI connectivity is using an active DP 1.2 -> HDMI 2.0a cable or adapter (so no HDR but HDCP 2.2 - not relevant for BigSure but still nice to have when dual booting) and avoiding native HDMI ports alltogether. If I come around buying an active adapter or cable I'll report back my findings.
I'm using one of these with success in Big Sur.

The Club3D adapters work too but are higher priced.

I've now got myself this one and it works as intended (only tested 1080p60):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNNRYFL/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Good to know about another working active adapter. Readers of this should note there is a lower cost HDMI 1.4a version of this Benfei adapter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D59919H/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

That gives you 4K/30Hz and not 60Hz. They associate this picture with the lower cost model but it's not a true 4K/60Hz refresh rate adapter, it's only HDMI 1.4a.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

If you don't have a 4K monitor that's one way to save a small amount of money. Sells for 6 dollars less. The lower cost model works fine for 1080p and 1440p monitors.

Last edited:
Upgrade to OpenCore 0.7.3 is painless provided you recognize the new formatting of UEFI>Drivers in the config.plist. Upgrade requires the following changes from OC 0.7.2 (OC 0.7.2 changes from posted OC 0.7.1 are here). Reset NVRAM before booting with new OC.

OC 0.7.3 EFI Changes from OC 0.7.2 (OC0.7.3-EFI-r001 is attached to Post #1)

OpenCore
  • Updated BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
  • Updated OC/OpenCore.efi
  • Updated OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi
  • Updated OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
config.plist
  • Added UEFI>Quirks>ForceOcWriteFlash (Boolean / False)
  • Copy new UEFI>Drivers structure from Sample.plist (Path, Enabled, Arguments)
Kexts
  • Upgraded Lilu.kext to 1.5.6
  • Upgraded WhateverGreen.kext to 1.5.3
  • Upgraded AppleALC.kext to 1.6.4
  • Upgraded VirtualSMC.kext to 1.2.7
Tools
  • Upgraded

Last edited:
I have attached my OC0.7.3-EFI-r001 to Post #1.

There is a new BIOS version posted for the HP EliiteDesk 800 G5 Mini (02.10.01 Rev.A). I don't see a new BIOS version posted for the G4 Mini at this time. If anyone tests the new G5 Mini BIOS, please let us know. Thank you.

3TK74AA = hdmi - potentially found stock

3TK77AA = Thunderbolt - where can I get stock of its one that ships to UK from anywhere worldwide

3TK78AA = usb c 3.1

Can someone list me the exact wifi/bt module that is required is it this one and do I need an adapter - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000631796433.html

My box should be arriving tomorrow I will know more about what bios that is on it when I get it.

Paid £220 for it

3TK74AA = hdmi - potentially found stock

3TK77AA = Thunderbolt - where can I get stock of its one that ships to UK from anywhere worldwide

3TK78AA = usb c 3.1

Can someone list me the exact wifi/bt module that is required is it this one and do I need an adapter - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000631796433.html

My box should be arriving tomorrow I will know more about what bios that is on it when I get it.

Paid £220 for it
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back