Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Shadowghost It just occurred to me that you're using a DP->HDMI adapter. If that's the case, adapters can change everything (as you see here). It's very possible that in order to use your adapter, in addition to changing the port type, you may need to change the framebuffer to 0x3e920000 and you will probably need the No-hda-gfx device property to prevent kernel panic on wake.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood your question. If you're just changing the VGA port to an HDMI port, then your original guess (simple framebuffer patch) may work. If you are using a DP->HDMI adapter, then this post is relevant.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the additional info, I mostly read all of your posts regarding framebuffer patching and the WhateverGreen docs beforhand already and it indeed seems like you misunderstood my question:
The EliteDesk 800 G4 I have has the two native DP Ports and I added the HDMI port via the onboard extension port (HP has different modules for that one, as you most likely know).
That's why I asked if I can just use the 3xDP properties while only patching con2 (the extension port) to another port type and keeping the other two ports as they're autodetected.
Essentially I'm trying to "implement" the existing 2xDP+1HDMI properties with minimal patching.
I should be able to test this on monday, will report back with my findings.

@Shadowghost I was confusing your question with a previous user question. Glad you have a grasp of everything. Looking forward to your simplified 2xDP+1HDMI solution!

Can the HP Thunderbolt 3 Option Card be used?

@deeveedee the 3xDP device properties work fine with a HDMI extension port. HDMI audio works fine but I couldn't test DP audio since I don't own any capable devices (but IMO there is no reason it shouldn't work).
The above behavior is the expected behaviour according to the WhateverGreen FAQ:
On 10.10.5 and above, WEG automatically changes the connector-type of DP (00040000) to HDMI (00080000), only if not used Custom patching.
The 3xDP doesn't use any custom patching (it is enabled but not used) and everything works OOTB.
I attached the modified device properties with removed custom patching (no real difference to 3xDP, just cosmetic).
Hotplugging HDMI does not work though. macOS recognizes that there is a new display connected but nothing is displayed on it (it shows up in system settings though). If both displays are connected on boot they're recognized fine and work as intended, so not really a deal breaker for me right now.

As a sidenote: as I kind of expected after your comments DP -> HDMI cables do not produce any output after macOS is booted, I didn't investigate this any further since I currently don't need it but it would definitly require patching.

Attachments

• 3xDPorHDMI.plist
    1,013 bytes · Views: 50
Last edited:
@mogoti - I don't have experience with the HP Thunderbolt option. You should check the HP specs to see if the chipset is supported. Google is your friend.

@Shadowghost Did you test with a patched solution, where you changed the port-type to HDMI? I think I have seen HDMI "hotplug" issues mentioned by others, so you may have stumbled upon a well-known issue, but I'm wondering if changing port-type to HDMI will fix hotplug. I don't have experience with HDMI ports, so I can't offer much advice.

For whatever it's worth, my experience with the DP-HDMI adaptor hotplug issue is not isolated to my hack. I see the same problem on windows so I doubt it has anything to do with any of the patches with OC.
I also have been running my triple DP units as DPs with and without adaptors without any issues (except for the hotplug), including audio.

@deeveedee I've tried different things today:
1. Explicitly setting the port type to HDMI did not enable hotplugging for it
2. Hotplugging DP works fine
3. My DP -> HDMI cable/adapter does not work, not even when patching the port to HDMI or using other framebuffers and busIDs - works fine on Windows though
4. Screen wake on the HDMI port is completely broken, on the DP ports (when using a DP display) it's working fine. I tried my device properties and the 2xDP+HDMI which uses another device-id to fix HDMI wakeup to no avail. Replugging or turning the screen off and on again results in a response from macOS (you can see it adjusting the desktop and the screen showing up in settings) but in the end the screen goes into standby again.
5. I tried using a modified version of your device props by just changing port types from DVI -> HDMI and adjusting busIDs when necessary, didn't bring any improvement
6. I've also played with no-hda-gfx on all configs to no avail

If anyone still has ideas I'd be glad to test them out. Seems like macOS is rather picky when it comes to HDMI since DP works flawless.

@Shadowghost - I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, so if you're happy with your rig's configuration, that's good. No-hda-gfx should be required only if using an adapter (e.g. DP->HDMI).

After digging some more, I think the not working DP -> HDMI cable may be caused by the cable not including an active DP -> HDMI2.0/1.4 converter which may be required for correct handling by macOS (it does work on Windows though).
The Flex IO HDMI (400/600/800) port is a 2.0a port which isn't supported natively by Coffee Lake (it only does HDMI 1.4), so it most likely has a LSPCON chip on board, which needs to be taken into account when configuring the ports.
I'll play around with it and report back if I find something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back