Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, the BCM94360NG M.2 card is also a good Wi-Fi/Bluetooth option for our hackminis. Details below...

I'm hacking an HP Envy x360 15m laptop and wanted to replace the Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth with Brcm, so I splurged and purchased a Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 card. The BCM card can be found for under $40 USD. Before installing the card in my laptop, I tested it in my hackmini.

The BCM94360NG is sized perfectly to replace the intel card in the existing M.2 2230 slot without any adapters. This is important if you are using both M.2 2280 slots and the 2.5" SATA HD Caddy (using the modification here). The antenna cable connectors in the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini must be MHF4 because they fit the BCM94360NG connectors perfectly. I did find that the antenna connector alignment needed to be PRECISE in order for the antenna connector to snap onto the card connector, but once attached, the fit was secure. DO NOT force the antenna connector. The connectors will snap in place when they are propertly aligned. I ended up using a magnifying glass to be certain of the alignment before pressing/snapping the connectors.

The Intel color coding of the connector labels (MAIN and AUX) is opposite the BCM color coding (but the numbering is the same):

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 12.19.26 AM.png
s-l1600.jpg

Be sure to fasten the antenna connectors correctly when replacing the Intel card with the BCM card. Double and triple-check your connectors to make sure you don't have them reversed.

After replacing the Intel card with the BCM94360NG and making sure that the antenna connectors were correctly fastened to the card, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth worked without any Kexts. I haven't tested watch unlock or anything exotic, but basic Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality is solid.

Last edited:
EDIT: I am beginning to think that this problem is caused by a recent Norton Security Suite update. I'll keep this post in case anyone has other suggestions.
-----------------------------------------

Twice in the last two days, I have observed that my wired Ethernet connection is not restored after waking from sleep. I have not observed this before. Is anyone else observing this? My sanitized EFI is attached (derived from OC0.7.0-EFI-r002 attached to Post #1). I am booting with OC 0.7.0 and running Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1217). Thank you for any help.

EDIT: I can recover my Ethernet connection (if it doesn't reconnect automatically after sleep/wake) by unplugging and then replugging the Ethernet cable.

EDIT2: This is not easily repeatable. After most sleep/wake cycles, Ethernet is fine.

System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby 0
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake 0
powernap 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
standbydelayhigh 86400
sleep 10
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 5
highstandbythreshold 50
standbydelaylow 86400

My system is as follows:
  • HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini, i7-9700, 32GB DDR4
  • OC 0.7.0
  • Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1217)
  • Network is wired Ethernet only (no Wi-Fi)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
@xuandung38 - I think I saw your comments about Apple's next macOS version. Did you delete them? If you didn't delete them and they were deleted by a moderator, I think it may be because we're not allowed to discuss the next version in this forum until Apple announces the public beta.

Yes ! We don't !

Everyone paying attention to what just happened? There are certain things that we don't discuss in this forum. Please read and adhere to these rules.

Maybe i'll say goodbye my "Mac-EliteDesk" soon.

@xuandung38 I think your Mac-EliteDesk should be able to serve you well for years to come. I'm not sure I understand your comment, but my comment here was not directed at you. Someone else in this thread (not you) had mentioned a forbidden topic and they are now banned from this forum. Another person had mentioned a disallowed topic and they were temporarily suspended (like I have been in the past).

Topics/behavior that we must avoid in this forum include
  • Installation of macOS versions not yet released to the public (e.g. Monterey at the time of this writing)
  • Pirated or "cracked" software (mentioning that you've even tried this WILL get you banned)
  • Installation of macOS on Hypervisors other than VMWare Fusion
  • Asking for help in private messages (always ask for help and provide problem reporting files in public posts). I once was suspended when someone asked me for help in a private message.
  • Offering or requesting any form of compensation for help
  • Criticizing or even questioning the rules or the moderators who enforce them

Periodically visit the rules page if you are uncertain and when in doubt, don't post it

Last edited:
EDIT: I am beginning to think that this problem is caused by a recent Norton Security Suite update. I'll keep this post in case anyone has other suggestions.
-----------------------------------------

Twice in the last two days, I have observed that my wired Ethernet connection is not restored after waking from sleep. I have not observed this before. Is anyone else observing this? My sanitized EFI is attached (derived from OC0.7.0-EFI-r002 attached to Post #1). I am booting with OC 0.7.0 and running Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1217). Thank you for any help.

EDIT: I can recover my Ethernet connection (if it doesn't reconnect automatically after sleep/wake) by unplugging and then replugging the Ethernet cable.

EDIT2: This is not easily repeatable. After most sleep/wake cycles, Ethernet is fine.

System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby 0
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake 0
powernap 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
standbydelayhigh 86400
sleep 10
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 5
highstandbythreshold 50
standbydelaylow 86400

My system is as follows:
  • HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini, i7-9700, 32GB DDR4
  • OC 0.7.0
  • Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1217)
  • Network is wired Ethernet only (no Wi-Fi)
Hi all, I found a half chance of EliteDesk 800 G4 Core i5-8500T, do you think with the i5 it can go well with your EFI? What I found is wifi ready, do you think that putting a BCM94352HMB card (which I have at home) can make it work on BigSur? Thanks for the reply and have a nice day

@mamomamo If it's an 800 G4 MINI as pictured in Post #1, it should work. If your BCM card is an M.2 2230 with two MHF4 antenna connectors (MAIN and AUX), it should work without an adapter. There's really no way to be certain until you try, which is the inherent risk of a hackintosh. You may need the Acidanthera Brcm kexts for working Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

If your question is whether i5 presents any problems (vs. i7 or i9), the answer is 'no.' The EFI will be no different for your i5 (assuming everything else works).

The only sure way to have a MacMini8,1 is to purchase a real Apple MacMini. The new X1 looks good and pricing is very attractive.

@mamomamo If it's an 800 G4 MINI as pictured in Post #1, it should work. If your BCM card is an M.2 2230 with two MHF4 antenna connectors (MAIN and AUX), it should work without an adapter. There's really no way to be certain until you try, which is the inherent risk of a hackintosh. You may need the Acidanthera Brcm kexts for working Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

If your question is whether i5 presents any problems (vs. i7 or i9), the answer is 'no.' The EFI will be no different for your i5 (assuming everything else works).

The only sure way to have a MacMini8,1 is to purchase a real Apple MacMini. The new X1 looks good and pricing is very attractive.
Thanks for the reply, for the WiFi / bluetooth card I am sending you the photo so I remove the doubt if it could go or not, I also had the MacMini M1 for a 20 days, I sent it back because every now and then it produced artifacts video card, it made horizontal pixels of the lines but not continuous, it did it only sometimes, maybe for 3 hours never anyway, apart from the video noise, the MacMini did not satisfy me very much (I state that I had the version with 8gb of ram) with the same applications that I usually keep open with the small Lenovo M93P the warning appeared very often to me that the memory was running out, it seemed strange to me since everyone says that with 8GB of ram the M1 is like it had 16 an intel, do not overlook the fact that the HP used I get it for about 400 € and a MacMini also used I would buy it for a minimum of 700 € without ever being able to expand it again in terms of ram or even disk. Anyway if I take it I'll let you know how I am. Thank you again for your reply and I am grateful for the work you have done, I apologize for the mistakes but I use google translator, still have a good day

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-05-26 alle 06.27.23.png
    Schermata 2021-05-26 alle 06.27.23.png
    760 KB · Views: 81
@mamomamo That card does not look like it will fit in the M.2 2230 slot, so you would not be able to use it without an adapter. You should research the card to be certain. You can review my earlier post to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back