Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@liriolebron - Not worth the money in my opinion. You can see some of the discussion starting here. Read a page or two from that point. Note that I have an i7-9700. I also have a G4 Mini with an i7-8700. In day-to-day operations, I didn't notice much difference between the two. My experience with these Minis is that money is better spent finding a new unit with everything you want than it is trying to upgrade an existing unit.

See my revised comments about the i9-9900 here.

Last edited:
@xuandung38 - I think I saw your comments about Apple's next macOS version. Did you delete them? If you didn't delete them and they were deleted by a moderator, I think it may be because we're not allowed to discuss the next version in this forum until Apple announces the public beta.

Does anyone with RestrictEvents.kext experience know how this kext should be used/configured? How can I tell if eficheck is blocked after installing RestrictEvents.kext? Thank you.

Details:

I was thinking about switching from EFICheckDisabler.kext to RestrictEvents.kext. When I test RestrictEvents.kext, I see that eficheck driver is attached to LPCB:

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 1.30.51 PM.png

When I use EFICheckDisabler.kext, eficheck driver is not attached to LPCB:
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 1.37.10 PM.png

I haven't used RestrictEvents.kext, so I'm not sure how to tell if it's working. Thanks for any help/advice.

A note about my current HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini configuration that may help others:

I am careful about maintaining a fully operational production baseline for my G5 Mini. This means that I test OC config changes, new OC versions and macOS updates BEFORE I introduce the changes to my production environment.

I have completely ditched Windows on my G5 Mini and operate with two M.2 NVMe SSDs (Western Digital Black) for macOS.

I keep my working OC baseline on one of my NVMe SSDs and first make OC changes on a USB, so that I can easily boot my rig if I accidentally screw up the EFI on the USB. After verifying the OC changes on the USB, I backup the current production OC EFI and then transfer the USB EFI (with OC updates) to the NVMe SSD EFI. I maintain backups of all of my old EFIs.

One NVMe SSD has my production macOS baseline and the other M.2 NVMe SSD is my macOS test environment. My current production macOS is Catalina and I'm testing Big Sur 11.4 with the apps / functions that I need.

When I am satisfied that Big Sur is ready for production (for me), I'll clone my production macOS volume to the test volume and then upgrade the test volume to Big Sur. After more testing, my Big Sur volume will become my production volume and I'll change my Catalina volume (the former production volume) to my test volume (e.g. for testing Monterey).

On top of the two M.2 NVMe SSDs, I have installed a 2TB 2.5" SATA HD (see here) on which I maintain backups and TimeMachine (only using TimeMachine for the production volume).

Last edited:
i have an EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini with i5 9500t running big sur. im constantly have terrible throttling/lag when using the OS. I have to remove the top part to make it somewhat useable. But both my ssd and the cpu heat sink get very hot. under windows, which im dual booting, its just fine. anyone know why im having these issues?

@lolwatpear After you are certain that you have carefully followed the BiOS configuration attached here and that you are running with one of the tested BIOS versions listed here, please post your EFI with your help request as indicated in Post #1.

I started from scratch will a clean install and made sure all settings matched. It seems better. The only issue im having now is that I cannot change my display to 4k 60hz. It's stuck at 4k 30hz. I had it working with an earlier EFI of yours. Do you know what's it's related to? Display port should output 4k 60hz with the hd 630, and did with a different configuration.

edit: got it working with the 3xDP device property.

Thanks

Last edited:
Here is another reason to think about how much money you want to spend upgrading your hackmini.

If you haven't had your account suspended yet, you probably haven't contributed much to this forum. Posts with the best intentions can be deleted and may even result in account suspension. I had a post deleted a few days ago even though it was well intended. Don't worry - in most cases, you'll be back again and contributing in no time. Just pay attention to these rules. If your post is deleted or you do get suspended, don't take it personally and welcome the time off when you'll actually get some work done. :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.21.44 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back