Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card doesn't need any extra securing... It is already ultra tightly held by the slot.

My first version of an OC 0.7.0 EFI is now attached to Post #1. This new EFI for Open Core 0.7.0 includes the updates below. After changing EFIs, reset NVRAM before booting macOS with the new EFI.

OC 0.7.0 EFI R001
  • config.plist
    • Changed ACPI>Quirks>ResetLogoStatus from False to True
    • Added Kernel>Quirks>ProvideCurrentCpuInfo (Boolean: False)
    • Added Misc>Entries>Item0>Flavour (String: Auto)
    • Added Misc>Security>AllowToggleSip (Boolean: False)
    • Added Flavour key to Misc>Tools>Items
    • Changed PlatformInfo>Generic>AdviseWindows -> AdviseFeatures
    • Changed UEFI>Output>GopPassThrough from Boolean (False) to String ("Disabled")
    • Added UEFI>ProtocolOverrides>AppleEg2Info (Boolean: False)
  • Kexts
    • Updated AppleALC.kext from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1
    • Updated NVMeFix.kext from 1.0.7 to 1.0.8
    • Updated VirtualSMC.kext from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4
    • Updated WhateverGreen.kext from 1.4.9 to 1.5.0
  • Drivers
    • Updated HfsPlus.efi (neglected to do this for OC 0.6.9)

EDIT: I applied the Big Sur 11.4 update after booting with OC 0.7.0. Not surprisingly, the update was flawless.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.11.27 AM.png

Last edited:
HP has released new BIOS updates for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Minis (02.09.00 Rev.A for G5 and 02.16.00 Rev.A for G4). If you are brave enough to test these new BIOS updates, please post your findings. Thank you!

EDIT: I upgraded my G5 BIOS to 02.09.00 Rev.A and it seems fine. Looking forward to reports from others after you upgrade your BIOS (G4 and G5 owners).

Last edited:
HP has released new BIOS updates for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Minis (02.09.00 Rev.A for G5 and 02.16.00 Rev.A for G4). If you are brave enough to test these new BIOS updates, please post your findings. Thank you!

EDIT: I upgraded my G5 BIOS to 02.09.00 Rev.A and it seems fine. Looking forward to reports from others after you upgrade your BIOS (G4 and G5 owners).

Just hope this fix usb power.

Is it worth it to update to this 0.7.0 even if the 0.6.9 run just fine?
Anyone not actively contributing to this thread to help us all learn and prepare us for future macOS updates should stick with an OC version that works for them. Anyone who wants to contribute (provide feedback and test results) should try to stay current with the latest OC releases.

With Apple's transition to their own silicon, the phrase "polishing the deck chairs on the Titanic" will begin to have more and more relevance. ;)

Last edited:
The OC0.7.0-EFI-r001 EFI attached to Post #1 sets ACPI>Quirks>ResetLogoStatus = True (was False in previous EFIs). I am trying to isolate the cause of a boot anomaly where occasionally, the HP and Apple logos are not visible (at boot, OC picker does not appear and display is blank until progress bar and then the system boots normally). I have not yet determined whether ResetLogoStatus has anything to do with this issue.

This is not a critical issue and is something that I have observed for as long as I have been testing Open Core. Does anyone else see this issue? It's possible that this has something to do with my use of DP->DVI graphics adapters.

EDIT: In "the other forum's" Open Core Discussion, Andrey1970 indicated that ResetLogoStatus applies to loading non-macOS via Open Core. This setting does not apply to macOS and thus is probably not related to the boot anomaly that I described. Unless I find another benefit of setting ResetLogoStatus = True, I'll probably revert to ResetLogoStatus = False in a future EFI.

Last edited:
After further testing, I have reverted the change to ACPI>Quirks>ResetLogoStatus (changed from True back to False). When ResetLogoStatus was True, I observed strange boot behavior when booting other OSes (Windows and other macOS versions) with Open Core. The new EFI attached to Post #1 (OC0.7.0-EFI-r002) replaces OC0.7.0-EFI-r001 (described here) and includes the following changes:

OC 0.7.0 EFI R002
  • config.plist
    • Changed ACPI>Quirks>ResetLogoStatus from True to False (reverted change from OC 0.7.0 EFI R001)

Important: When updating to a new EFI, Reset NVRAM before booting macOS with the new EFI.

I was curious, so I ran a quick experiment with a Samsung NVMe SSD. I installed the Samsung SSD in one of the M.2 slots in my G5 Mini and kept my macOS NVMe SSD (Western Digital Black) in the other M.2 slot. I booted macOS, attempted to erase/format the Samsung SSD and immediately began to observe problems. My PC rebooted during the erase/format of the Samsung SSD and I had difficulty booting macOS when the Samsung SSD was installed (even though I wasn't booting from it). I think @Feartech is correct here in believing that the Samsung NVMe SSDs will cause issues if they are installed (even if not your boot device).

EDIT: I have added a warning about Samsung SSDs to Known Issues.

Last edited:
For ROM value

do you use MAC from ethernet or MAC from Wifi ?
Sorry I missed this question... I believe you can use either one, as long as you remain consistent after you first create your EFI and establish your iCloud login with Apple. I'll add this to the instructions. If you find differently, please let us know.

CPU upgrade question.

Guys, I currently have a 65W G5 mini model (cooper heatsink, 90w power adapter) with an i5 9500, I'd like to add a bit more power without getting into something overkill, would my current setup handle a 95w TDP processor? I'm trying to find an i7 9700, I'm guessing that would be a direct swap but almost none are for sale at the moment.

Can I opt for a i7 9700k or an i9 9900? Is there any physical differences between my model and the ones with higher end processors?

Any help would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back