Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@fennec62 I was reading @UtterDisbelief 's explanation here and that would explain the inability to wake with a Bluetooth keyboard. Have you tried playing with BIOS settings? It might be that you can keep the Bluetooth device powered by changing one of these in BIOS:

Power Management Options
o Runtime Power Management: checked​
o Extended Idle Power States: checked​
o S5 Maximum Power Savings: checked​
o SATA Power Management: checked​
o PCI Express Power Management: checked​
o Power On from Keyboard Ports: this option is grayed out for me​
o Unique Sleep State Blink Rates: unchecked​

If changing one of these does work for you, test further to be sure that changing these doesn't break something else. Let us know what you discover.

Last edited:
*** WARNING *** If you perform this drive caddy modification, make sure that you thoroughly clean the modified drive caddy so that you don't introduce metal fragments into your PC ***

These instructions are a continuation of the original instructions I posted here.

I modified the SATA drive caddy in another 65W HP EliteDesk 800 G Mini in order to be able to install two M.2 NVMe SSDs and a 2.5" SATA HD. This mod was a bit more difficult than my first, so I'm sharing my lessons learned.

1. I needed to slightly bend the tabs circled here:
thumbnail_IMG_1565.jpg

I needed to bend the upper two tabs "down" toward the motherboard and the bottom two tabs "up" away from the motherboard, so that the top of the drive caddy (top as viewed in the photo) sits a little higher (to provide clearance above the M.2 NVMe SSD). Bend the tabs a little at a time and assess your adjustment after each bend. The fan needs to clear the M.2 NVMe SSD so that it spins freely and the fan should sit flush on the mount points without wobbling.

2. I inserted cardboard washers under the caddy fan to raise the fan slightly as pictured here:
thumbnail_IMG_1566.jpg

With these mods, two M.2 NVMe SSDs and the 2.5" SATA HD fit perfectly in the 65W HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini.

Last edited:
i command BCM94360NG for wireless and bluetooth

For the moment i have a bluetooth USB but i can't wake when sleep only with mouse USB

With BCM94360NG do you think i can wake ?

Thanks
I tested the M.2 wifi card BCM94360NG on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4. One of the two antenna connectors (1 - Black) doesn't clip well. It was very well recognized by macOS Big Sur. The BT works fine. However, for the wifi, I can see my network but I can't connect. It turn around continuously without connecting (I have of course checked my wifi key ;) ). Did you use a patch to solve this problem of wifi connection ?. I finally gave up on this card and used an Intel AX200.

@NeoNero I don't have Wi-Fi / Bluetooth enabled on my G4 and G5 Minis (both still have the original Intel Wi-Fi card which is disabled in BIOS). I have a laptop where the Brcm card works perfectly with the Brcm kexts. I don't have experience with the BCM94360NG, but it does look like a good solution. Are you certain that the antenna connectors on the BCM94360NG are compatible with the antenna cables in the G4 Mini? If the antennas are not making a good connection (because the cable is not compatible with the card), you may need a converter cable.

@NeoNero Here's an informative link.

EDIT: @NeoNero I have seen posts where people claim to use hotglue or some other technique to "force" the antenna connection to remain in place. If your antenna connector doesn't "click" in place and stay by itself (without the aid of glue, tape or other fastener), then the antenna connection is probably wrong. I would advise against the use of any additional fasteners to force the antenna connection.

Last edited:
- The 2 antennas click very well on the intel AX200 card but not on the Broadcom, I think it is indeed the wrong connector. I didn't think there were 2 kinds of connectors ;)

- I saw that there are kext for broadcom cards, I didn't test it because I thought it was natively recognized by macOS.

- I finally gave up using it on my Elitedesk 800 G4 since the Intel AX200 card works very well with "intel kexts".

- I keep this BCM94360NG card for another hackintosh, which I will try to do on another architecture.

I tested the M.2 wifi card BCM94360NG on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4. One of the two antenna connectors (1 - Black) doesn't clip well. It was very well recognized by macOS Big Sur. The BT works fine. However, for the wifi, I can see my network but I can't connect. It turn around continuously without connecting (I have of course checked my wifi key ;) ). Did you use a patch to solve this problem of wifi connection ?. I finally gave up on this card and used an Intel AX200.
i wait again for delivery

I need a high-reliablity hack, so I recently purchased an EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini i7-9700 32GB for a little over $400 USD (these are definitely the best value hacks when you find them used and in good condition). Since the G5 has 2 x M.2 2280 slots suitable for NVMe SSDs, I am hoping to install macOS on RAID1. This particular unit includes the SATA drive bay / drive cooling fan, so I also plan to perform my modification here for TimeMachine and extra storage.
An update on this previous post about installing macOS on RAID1: I was able to configure the two M.2 NVMe SSDs in RAID1 on this EliteDesk G5 Mini, but it's an Intel RAID controller which is not compatible with MacOS. If you need RAID for a high-reliability hack, the Gx Minis are not what you're looking for. Don't plan to configure the Gx Mini RAID controller for use with MacOS.

*** This RAID configuration is NOT compatible with MacOS. Providing for information only and NOT recommending for MacOS ***

Configuration of RAID0 or RAID1 is simple:
  1. Install 2 identical M.2 NVMe SSDs
  2. In BIOS, set controller mode to RAID
  3. At boot, press F3 to enter the RAID controller configuration
  4. Set the RAID Controller mode to RAID0 or RAID1
  5. If installing Windows OS on the RAID array, you must load the Intel RAID floppy driver in order for the installer to see the RAID array

@deeveedee thnaks for your help

Another question
@fennec62 I was reading @UtterDisbelief 's explanation here and that would explain the inability to wake with a Bluetooth keyboard. Have you tried playing with BIOS settings? It might be that you can keep the Bluetooth device powered by changing one of these in BIOS:

Power Management Options
o Runtime Power Management: checked​
o Extended Idle Power States: checked​
o S5 Maximum Power Savings: checked​
o SATA Power Management: checked​
o PCI Express Power Management: checked​
o Power On from Keyboard Ports: this option is grayed out for me​
o Unique Sleep State Blink Rates: unchecked​

If changing one of these does work for you, test further to be sure that changing these doesn't break something else. Let us know what you discover.
Not ok with Usb bluetooth

when I have nvme wifi-bluetooth I try

thanks

@deeveedee thnaks for your help

Another question

Not ok with Usb bluetooth

when I have nvme wifi-bluetooth I try

thanks
Highly recommend going the way I did, using a cheap native Apple card. Even BT working may not be completely working as it may act strangely with watch unlock or continuity features. I poste somewhere in this thread using a 180 degree adaptor to fit a bcm43602CS. No hacking needed. All working natively. Shopping hard, the entire wifi + BT cost me $20.

s-l1600.jpg

I also just upgraded to Big Sur 11.4. Working Smooth.
@deeveedee, your config edits work fine. It is a good effort to go to the lowest common denominator. I will just run with my more customized ones.

@rafale77 I posted your config.plist for 3xDP here. This post is becoming a great reference for framebuffer patching.

For those who want to understand how @rafale77 's framebuffer patches can be so minimal while fully patching the 3xDP ports with audio enabled over DP, read further...

Details about @rafale77 's 3xDP Framebuffer patch
  • DeviceProperties don't need to include hda-gfx, because according to this, AppleALC/WEG automatically injects hda-gfx in the Audio and Graphics DeviceProperties.
  • According to this datasheet, the i9-9900 CPU device-id is 0x3E98 which is automatically detected. While it doesn't hurt, device-id does not need to be specified in the DeviceProperties since it would be the same device-id that is automatically detected. Read this to see which device-ids are natively supported.
  • According to this, the AAPL,ig-platform-id <07009B3E> defines 3xDP ports (see code below). While it does not hurt to define framebuffer_types, framebuffer_busids, framebuffer_flags and framebuffer_indices, they are unnecessary because they would duplicate what is already defined by the 0x3E9B0007 framebuffer ( reverse byte order <07009B3E> ).
  • DeviceProperties must be entered in the OC config.plist in reverse byte order. For example, the AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0007 is entered in the OC config.plist as <07009B3E>

Code:
ID: 3E9B0007, STOLEN: 57 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00801302
TOTAL STOLEN: 58 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 172 MB, MAX OVERALL: 173 MB (181940224 bytes)
Model name: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Camellia: CamelliaDisabled (0), Freq: 0 Hz, FreqMax: 0 Hz
Mobile: 0, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
[3] busId: 0x06, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
01050900 00040000 C7030000
02040A00 00040000 C7030000
03060800 00040000 C7030000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.