Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
All - @Carstimann is referring to this post. @Carstimann - you've done such a great job of selling this that I just switched to "plugin-type = 0" and am running with this now. As before, I am missing Energy Saver Preferences, but I don't mind.

That makes it 3 of us running this modified aml...

Your graphics DeviceProperties include two connectors with busid = 0x02. Each connector must have a unique busid.

Code:
framebuffer-con0-busid  <02000000>
framebuffer-con1-busid  <02000000>
Totally skipped that part while reading the frame patching guide, thanks!
However, I'm still not able to install Big Sur.

I have another question, reading again the instructions they say to install OC first then copy the EFI folder in post #1. Doing this results on many extra packages included on Drivers and Resources directories. Is this the correct way? Doing this, Disk Utility freezes when I try to erase the drive.

The other way is to just use the files on the EFI provided here. This way, I can erase the disk but the installer freezes on about 16 minutes remaining. :(

Included sanitized EFI. (currently using just the files included on your EFI)
Thanks for the help!

EDIT: removed duplicate USBPorts kext, still same error.

EDIT 2: Read Dortania's guide and says not to leave default tools, so question answered. Still I can't figure out why Disk Utility freezes when I try to erase the drive. :c

Attachments

• OC0.6.9-EFI-r002 copy.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@cavesdev For further support, please answer the following:
  1. What is the exact model of your PC (e.g. HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini)?
  2. What is your video port configuration (e.g. 3 x DP ports)?
  3. Are you using any video adapters (e.g. DP -> DVI)?
  4. Have you configured your BIOS according to the PDF instructions attached here?
  5. Have you tried creating a macOS installer using a different USB thumb drive?
  6. What type of device is the drive where you are trying to install macOS (SATA 2.5" SSD or M.2 NVMe SSD) and what is the exact model number of the drive?

EDIT: @cavesdev Thanks for your feedback on the OC install instructions. I have modified Step 3 here. When I first started providing draft EFIs, the EFIs weren't complete (so users needed to install OC first and then copy the selected parts of my draft EFI). My current and future EFIs will be complete and can simply be copied to Volumes/EFI.

Last edited:
@cavesdev For further support, please answer the following:
  1. What is the exact model of your PC (e.g. HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini)?
  2. What is your video port configuration (e.g. 3 x DP ports)?
  3. Are you using any video adapters (e.g. DP -> DVI)?
  4. Have you configured your BIOS according to the PDF instructions attached here?
  5. Have you tried creating a macOS installer using a different USB thumb drive?
  6. What type of device is the drive where you are trying to install macOS (SATA 2.5" SSD or M.2 NVMe SSD) and what is the exact model number of the drive?

EDIT: @cavesdev Thanks for your feedback on the OC install instructions. I have modified Step 3 here. When I first started providing draft EFIs, the EFIs weren't complete (so users needed to install OC first and then copy the selected parts of my draft EFI). My current and future EFIs will be complete and can simply be copied to Volumes/EFI.
1. HP Elitedesk 800 G4 mini 65W
2. 2 x DP ports (the default ones) and 1 x USB-C connector on the flex port (DP?)
3. No, just a DP cable.
4. Yes, BIOS is configured according to the PDF.
5. I tried using Mac OS and Linux for creating the USB installer, but I haven't tried another USB device.
6. NVMe SSD : Samsung PM981 512GB (OEM version of the 970 EVO)

Thanks for the help. I'll try using another USB device to see if it solves the problem.

EDIT: thanks to your questions, I was able to pinpoint the failure. According to Dortania's SSD compatibility guide, the PM981 (and Samsung drives in general) are very unstable and not supported.

Last edited:
@cavesdev Before you ditch the Samsung NVMe SSD, try a couple of things first:
  1. Boot Windows and make sure the Samsung NVME SSD firmware is the latest. If there is a firmware update, update the firmware and then try installing MacOS again
  2. Install a 2.5" SSD (if your Mini has a SATA drive bay) and try installing MacOS on the 2.5" SATA SSD. Make sure that you can install MacOS on your 2.5" SSD. If you still have problems with the 2.5" SSD, your problem is not the Samsung NVMe SSD.
If you determine that the problem is the Samsung NVMe SSD and you still want to use an NVMe SSD for your macOS Volume, I am pleased with the Western Digital WD_Black NVMe SSDs. My rig is running with a WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 500GB drive. If you end up using a 2.5" SSD, you will need to enable TRIM. Read Known Issues.

My latest OC EFI (OC0.6.9-EFI-r002) may not include the latest HFSPlus.efi driver here. I'm not certain, but it does appear that my included HFSPlus.efi file size is different from the HFSPlus.efi included in the OCBinaryData Master. I'm not sure if we'd notice any difference and am just pointing this out in case you want to replace your current HFSPlus.efi for testing.

All - I am looking for tested/proven graphics device properties to be attached here. The device properties that I'm requesting are only for the HP EliteDesk G4/G5 Minis. If you would like to volunteer your Device Properties for others to use, please create a new post in this thread as follows:
  • In your post, provide a description of your device properties (see my example below)
  • Attach your device properties to your post as a compressed (.zip) .plist by following the attached example
------------------------------------------
Example Device Properties Post: 3 x DP -> DVI Adapters
Graphics Device Properties: 3 x DP -> DVI adapters
Audio Device Properties: Audio over DP / HDMI is disabled with property No-hda-gfx

Attachments

• 3xDP-to-DVI.plist.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 61
@cavesdev Before you ditch the Samsung NVMe SSD, try a couple of things first:
  1. Boot Windows and make sure the Samsung NVME SSD firmware is the latest. If there is a firmware update, update the firmware and then try installing MacOS again
  2. Install a 2.5" SSD (if your Mini has a SATA drive bay) and try installing MacOS on the 2.5" SATA SSD. Make sure that you can install MacOS on your 2.5" SSD. If you still have problems with the 2.5" SSD, your problem is not the Samsung NVMe SSD.
If you determine that the problem is the Samsung NVMe SSD and you still want to use an NVMe SSD for your macOS Volume, I am pleased with the Western Digital WD_Black NVMe SSDs. My rig is running with a WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 500GB drive. If you end up using a 2.5" SSD, you will need to enable TRIM. Read Known Issues.
I had a 2.5" SSD lying around and it finally worked! So the problem really was the Samsung drive. I did not try to update the firmware, I'm fine with using the SATA SSD for now, I'll try to get one WD black nvme later thanks for the suggestion.
I did enable TRIM, and updated the HFSPlus.efi since it seems it was an old version. Everything is working fine now thanks for the help! :)

Congratulations, everyone! We made the "front page" news. Reminds me of Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when he finds himself in the phone book.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 3.44.52 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back