Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bexem Are you still able to boot with Clover? If so, could you please confirm that Bluetooth works with CLOVER and then could you use the black.dragon tool to extract CLOVER problem reporting files (see instructions in Post #1) and post your CLOVER problem reporting files?

@bexem, as @deeveedee recommended, I would check again on CLOVER. I can only share my experience with this and did not try with CLOVER. For me, injecting the firmware bricked the apple card. There is really no reason to use any of the kext with a natively supported card and as I said, there was never any possible configuration of OC which got me to not have the BT card show on my MacOS. It may not work but it will always be detected. (unless of course you disabled the internal USB port)

@rafale77 I just ran Cinebench R23 on my G5 Mini / i7-9700 (8C/8T) / 32GB DDR4. The i7-9700 does not have hyperthreading and does not achieve anywhere close to the Cinebench R23 score of your i9-9900. My score was in the 7000's. I think this might be a Cinebench R23 issue, since Cinebench R23 incorrectly recognizes the i7-9700 as a 4C/8T CPU. I don't see any performance issues in real day-to-day operation. If it's not a Cinebench issue, then this might be one area where the i9-9900 far outperforms the i7-9700 (although I'm not sure how it translates to real-world performance).

@rafale77 I just ran Cinebench R23 on my G5 Mini / i7-9700 (8C/8T) / 32GB DDR4. The i7-9700 does not have hyperthreading and does not achieve anywhere close to the Cinebench R23 score of your i9-9900. My score was in the 7000's. I think this might be a Cinebench R23 issue, since Cinebench R23 incorrectly recognizes the i7-9700 as a 4C/8T CPU. I don't see any performance issues in real day-to-day operation. If it's not a Cinebench issue, then this might be one area where the i9-9900 far outperforms the i7-9700 (although I'm not sure how it translates to real-world performance).

Take a quick look here: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r23_multi_core-16

You can see that the 9700 expected cinebench score should be in the 8000s. You are not far off. I can see during my test that the CPU is throttling due to temperature (I monitor the temperature at all time) and the 9900 is supposed to hit 12000+, It should be >50% higher than the 9700 but I am only at 9000. It seems like the 9900 is too much heat for these little boxes to handle.

Hello! First of all, thank you deeveedee for your hard work making Mac work in our mini desktops!
I was hoping to get help, I was trying to install big sur last night using OC and the installer kept freezing. It reaches like 16 min remaining (log says extracting files) and it freezes, mouse and keyboard unresponsive.
The only changes made to the OC config from the first post (0.6.9 r002) were the addition of serial number, MLB and the others, and changes to DeviceProperties because I'm using DP connection. (platform-id, con0 type, con0 busId)

EDIT: Added sanitized EFI

Attachments

• OC0.6.9-EFI-r002-copy.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Take a quick look here: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r23_multi_core-16

You can see that the 9700 expected cinebench score should be in the 8000s. You are not far off. I can see during my test that the CPU is throttling due to temperature (I monitor the temperature at all time) and the 9900 is supposed to hit 12000+, It should be >50% higher than the 9700 but I am only at 9000. It seems like the 9900 is too much heat for these little boxes to handle.
If heat is a problem, I would recommend adding an external fan to help cooling. I just purchased a 5v Noctua fan that includes a USB connector and it works like a charm! Another option is to limit TDP with Intel XTU a few watts lower to prevent thermal throttling.

I thought I'd add another note of thanks to @deeveedee. Your guides, comments, and EFIs were an incredibly helpful reference when I first set up my hack last November and I've been following your changelogs with interest ever since.

I'm using an HP Z1 Entry Tower G5, which is basically a rebadged HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Tower -- the Mini's bigger and uglier cousin -- but nevertheless many of the things discussed in this thread have been relevant to my system. My hack is also a bit unusual in that I use an eGPU with Vega 56 in macOS -- I recall there being some comments about eGPUs a few pages back.

The hack has been my daily driver since January and it hasn't skipped a beat from 11.0.1 -> 11.3.1 (and OpenCore 0.6.3 -> 0.6.9). Not even a single kernel panic.

The i9-9900 in my HP Z1 G5 (with tower case, stock HP cooler rated at 95W, and much more thermal headroom than the Mini) scores 11188 in Cinebench R23, which is still a bit lower than those predicted scores. I don't see any thermal throttling -- temps don't go much beyond 80°C -- but rather the CPU seems to be power limited by HP in the BIOS to around 116W even when PL2 is set higher.

Another option is to limit TDP with Intel XTU a few watts lower to prevent thermal throttling.

On my system, my settings in Intel XTU (on Windows) don't carry through to macOS. In macOS I use VoltageShift.kext instead to set PL1 and PL2. Without XTU or VoltageShift, PL1 for my i9-9900 is at the default 65W which leaves a lot of performance on the table!

Experimenting with that PL1 value might be worth exploring if anyone wants to eek out some extra performance from their Mini.

Hi :)
I want to edit config.plist and change the connector type to DP. I open config.plist and go to DevicePropreties. How can I modify the connector to DP ?. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hi :)
I want to edit config.plist and change the connector type to DP. I open config.plist and go to DevicePropreties. How can I modify the connector to DP ?. Thanks for your help.
See here for the possible changes needed and more info on DeviceProperties.

@cavesdev : Thanks ;)

For my 3 displays ports I use no adapters and I set in config.plist using an editor:

Index 1 ---> Type : DP the value is : 00040000 (in Framebuffer-con0-type) my monitor is connected in it.
Index 2 ---> Type : DP the value is : 00040000 (in Framebuffer-con1-type)
Index 3 ---> Type : HDMI the value is : 00080000 (in Framebuffer-con2-type)

And now it works and no blink black screen when I use Safari :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back