Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not, I'm down to trying to get rid of the 20x ACPI: cannot translate ACPI object 14 messages I'm getting, I'm not sure they actually affect anything, but just don't like them. (and also can't seem to find the source!) I'll appreciate help with this.

I see HP shares a lot of DSDT between models, yours also has the same _L69 _L1D empty methods, here's the patch I'm using to get rid of the warning.

ACPI Warning:
GPE _L69 has no implementation
GPE _L1D has no implementation

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Remove _L69 _L1D no implementation error</string>
    <key>Count</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>Enabled</key>
    <true/>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>FAZfTDY5ABQGX0wxRAAUQQ==</data>
    <key>Limit</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>Mask</key>
    <data></data>
    <key>OemTableId</key>
    <data>AAAAAA==</data>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>FA1fTDY5AEFEQkcNTAAUQQ==</data>
    <key>ReplaceMask</key>
    <data></data>
    <key>Skip</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>TableLength</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>TableSignature</key>
    <data>AAAAAA==</data>
</dict>
</plist>

The patch uses the space used by L1D to create a bogus DBG message for _L69, so no more warning and it basically does nothing harmful either.

Before the patch
Before.png

After the patch
After.png

Last edited:
Just me flying in again with a thought… anyone actually using their hackintosh as a main/production machine?

Any risks if one would make daily snapshots?

Just me flying in again with a thought… anyone actually using their hackintosh as a main/production machine?

I have been doing it for the better part of the past 6 months. It's been my daily driver so... there is always some risk but I would say it is pretty low if you are careful and with the hard work from @deeveedee. I dozed off for a few weeks and am finding myself 2 revisions down for OC. I don't have any reason to change anything though since everything is working. It will just be a much larger number of changes the next time I update. The big thing about OC that I noticed is that there are more "breaking changes" than when I ran with clover... It seems like every version I have to do some manual edits of my config.plist and sometimes ACPI which is a bit more risky. That's why, unless I have something I found that I want to fix, I am trying to keep things as they are now.

Another daily driver here.

I dread OC updates for the same reason @rafale77 mentioned - editing config.plist by hand - and just the fear of completely borking my machine. I'm pretty sure that at least once I've ended up in Linux toying with efibootmgr trying to get back into MacOS after an OC upgrade.

I don't do daily snapshots (I do have Time Machine running), but I do take a dd of the Mac drive before I do OC or OS upgrades, just in case anything does go terribly wrong.

Overall, I'd say it's pretty damn stable and I'm not really worried about it becoming unusable anytime soon. My only complaints are that (A) I don't seem to have any SSUSB ports working no matter what I try, (B) if I let the machine go to sleep, sometimes my TM drive, or even stranger, an internal SATA drive, will be ejected improperly, so I just disabled sleep, (C) I ripped out the WiFi/BT card that came with my motherboard to get a hack-compatible WiFi/BT card working, and it eats up an M.2 slot on my board, and I think someone figured out a workaround about a day after I'd done that, (D) I can't get a crisp 4K (native) picture, no matter which SMBIOS I use, so I'm stuck with a scaled display that, while it doesn't look horrible, also doesn't hold a candle to the 4k display on my wife's iMac or the 5k display on my old iMac, and finally (E) the headphone/mic combo jack on the front of my case doesn't work with a headphone/mic combo under MacOS, it's just headphones, but under Windows it's fine.

I built this thing (my first hackintosh) right as Apple announced they were abandoning Intel chips, mostly because I'd always wanted to, and I figured time was running out, but also because the machine I built would've cost at least 3x as much if I'd purchased it from Apple. It's been a fun experiment, but sometimes feels like more work than it's worth.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't wait for Apple to release one of their M# machines with 32GB of RAM ;-)

Last edited:
I've had a G2 800 mini working as my Plex/Web server and Media Player for the last 5 years running 24/7 and zero complaints, these are very well built machines.

I am having a weird problem with opencore after 0.6.6: 0.6.7 and 0.6.8 both report as 0.6.6 after upgrade and I don't know why. I am seeing that 0.6.7 implemented a fix to opencore-version misreporting and am suspecting that it is related. It seems like the fix broke something. Anybody else seeing this?

@rafale77 It was reported in the "other forum's" Open Core Discussion. I think the solution was to choose "Reset NVRAM" from the OC boot menu.

I'm still running Catalina 10.15.7 booting with the OC 0.6.8 EFI attached to Post #1 and the updates applied from here and here. I'd rate stability / reliability as OUTSTANDING. I have an internal 2TB HD for Time Machine which saved me once. How you use it is up to you (that's my disclaimer ;) ).

Another daily driver here.

I dread OC updates for the same reason @rafale77 mentioned - editing config.plist by hand - and just the fear of completely borking my machine. I'm pretty sure that at least once I've ended up in Linux toying with efibootmgr trying to get back into MacOS after an OC upgrade.
I would advise everyone to make sure they have a USB stick with their OC working baseline. The USB stick is your fall-back if you bork your SSD's OC config. Alternatively, you could make the changes on the USB stick and keep your SSD EFI as your working baseline. Without the USB stick (or another volume that has a working EFI baseline), we're all just gambling if we make EFI changes and hope for the best. I lost count of how many times I needed to boot from my backup EFI after breaking my OC config.

Hi, I found a possible problem on my ZBook, and it seems it also affects your build.

SSDT-PMCR creates the device PMCR but this new device uses the same Memory range as device PRRE
Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten this and am still testing. I was looking at ACPI dumps of real Macs (including iMac18,x) and see that some real Macs have Device PMCR that does not allocate any Memory32Fixed memory resources. I am currently running with the injected Device PMCR below to see if I notice any difference in behavior. So far, I don't notice anything different.

Code:
            Device (PMCR)
            {
                Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP9876"))  // _HID: Hardware ID
                Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                {
                    If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                    {
                        Return (0x0B)
                    }
                    Else
                    {
                        Return (Zero)
                    }
                }
            }

@theroadw Going on Day 2 with using this revised Device PMCR definition (without a Memory32Fixed resource setting). My hack continues to work without issues (and no observable changes). I am leaning toward this "new" PMCR definition as my preferred solution for this potential resource conflict.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back