Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was looking at the cooling of the 65W G5 as I am trying to see if improvements were possible. I noticed that removing the top case drops the idle CPU temperature by 10C (from ~40C to 30C) so airflow can definitely use some improvements. Increasing the idle fan from 30% to 50% with the case on only drops the idle temperature by 5C to 35C. I researched the fan and noticed that the G3 G4 and G5 all share the same fan design in spite of many different part numbers. There are however 3 models of fans:
The more recent ones are made by AVC and have a current rating on 0.8 Amp.
Some of the G3 apparently had a delta made one with a current rating of 1.1 Amp.
More recent models seem to be using an FCN branded one. The information is engraved and not on a label. Mine only has a 0.5Amp rating but I am seeing pictures of older models with a 0.7Amp rating as well.
I am sensing a cost reduction move on the part of HP here since delta tends to be higher end for fans so I just ordered a delta one.
The delta P/N is BUC0712HB00 1.1Amp
The AVC version P/N is BAZA0813R2U 0.8Amp
The FCN come in 0.5Amp and 0.7Amp ratings

They are not distinguishable from the HP P/N (914266-001 and L19561-001) but are physically a little different.

AN4D_1_20200423499061484.jpg416PAcRZocL._AC_.jpgO1CN011G1R3bshyFfnd4c_!!2653090562.jpg

Last edited:

really only difference i noticed is the FCN one is brushless...usually last longer...as more power tools are going that way...but as always YMV!!...thanks for all the info...rafale77

Very imformative..

have to see what mine is...sorry about bold above...not sure what i did...lol

I think that they are all brushless. The delta one says so. What I was hinting to was that there are at least 4 different versions of the fan and they seem to have been used quite randomly except for the delta which I expect to be noisier and higher speed with it's 1.1Amp rating and was only used on the G3. My 65W unit surprisingly comes with the lowest power rating of 0.5Amp so it must be quite slow. I have a 600 G5 (35W) which came with the AVC 0.8Amp. I am trying to acquire a delta unit to see if it can improve cooling. In the meantime I just swapped the fans between my units.

I think that they are all brushless. The delta one says so. What I was hinting to was that there are at least 4 different versions of the fan and they seem to have been used quite randomly except for the delta which I expect to be noisier and higher speed with it's 1.1Amp rating and was only used on the G3. My 65W unit surprisingly comes with the lowest power rating of 0.5Amp so it must be quite slow. I have a 600 G5 (35W) which came with the AVC 0.8Amp. I am trying to acquire a delta unit to see if it can improve cooling. In the meantime I just swapped the fans between my units.
Nice...let me know how it goes...

So far no distinguishable impact on temperatures. The 0.8V fan appears a little noisier than the 0.5V even at 30% and much more so at 100%.

Edit: I guess my test required more time. I am now seeing a decrease of 2-3C of idle temperature from switching out the fan! Now I only wish I could make the fan curve more responsive from the HP bios.

Last edited:
If I'm interpretting this issue correctly, we won't be able to set OpenCore's XhciPortLimit=1 to permit more than 15 logical USB Ports when booting Big Sur 11.3. The OC EFI that I have attached to Post #1 currently has a USBPorts.kext with 16 logical USB ports (allowing each user to customize their own USB port map). It would appear that we each need to make sure that we have a 15-logical-port USBPorts.kext prior to booting Big Sur 11.3.

A couple of options for each of us to consider are as follows:
  • Use my USBPorts-noHS14.kext (included in the EFI attached to Post #1) if you do not have or are not using Bluetooth USB
  • If you have a USB port that is occupied by a USB 2.0 keyboard and/or mouse connection, delete the unused USB 3.0 logical port from your USBPorts.kext (e.g. if you have a USB 2.0 keyboard connected to physical USB port "right-rear-bottom" (logical port HS02), delete logical USB 3.0 port SS10).

EDIT: XhciPortLimit is officially deprecated in OC 0.6.7. OC users will need to have properly patched USB port map (complying with the 15-port limit).

Last edited:
I noticed that Dortania Guide recommends the use of NVMeFix.kext for all NVMe SSDs. I have changed positions on this kext a few times and am adding it back into my build (which has 2 x M.2 NVMe SSDs) to "future proof" my configuration. I'm not noticing any difference now with this kext, but this kext may be important for compatibility with future versions of macOS.

Found out something quite fascinating about the watch unlock: I tested with two native apple cards. A 2x2 BCM94360CS2 and a 3x3 BCM943602CS for which I added an antenna to the unit and... the 3x3 unit doesn't work reliably for watch unlock. It behaves the same way as my 3x3 Dell DW1560. This is very strange...
It will work for a few minutes after setup and then would fail to reconnect to the watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back