Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@deeveedee I'm still waiting for microphone update. Is there any chance for me testing this ?
Absolutely! Just download AppleALC.kext version 1.5.5 from Acidanthera. See my comments here. I'm still running Catalina as my baseline, so I'd suggest following developments in this thread, too.

FYI: For those wondering why I haven't been active with OC/BS lately, I'm waiting for the next release of OC. For those who are interested, I would suggest monitoring the Acidanthera OC commits for changes from one release to the next. Following the release of OC 0.6.4, Acidanthera has a new commit that will affect MacMini8,1 (new BIOS/Firmware version). I'm not sure how this affects the behavior of our HackMinis but it's why I'm not acting on the release of 0.6.4. My testing baseline is still OC 0.6.3 for now, but I do plan to install 0.6.5 (or whatever it's called next).

BTW - if you look at the Acidanthera commits to OC, you will see just how much effort is required to maintain OC (and CLOVER for that matter). These bootloader teams are really doing A LOT of work that most of us take for granted. The OC and CLOVER teams deserve our appreciation, admiration and respect for all that they do to make our hacks possible.

EDIT: Also, thank you @rafale77 for testing 0.6.4 and alerting us to the SystemAudioVolumeDB issue! I definitely don't want to discourage testing of intermediate OC versions. @rafale77 's testing is definitely making it easier for the rest of us! :) Thank you!

Last edited:
One strange thing I noticed after the update. It seems like at each boot, macos 11.1 wants to reset the <SystemAudioVolumeDB> value in the nvram to 0 which essentially disables the OC boot chime. I have no idea why.
In case you did not know 0.6.4 enabled control of the boot chime from the macos settings audio option like a real mac using the nvram entry <StartupMute>. That part works but now I don't know what part of the update is resetting the volume value to 00.

I am editing my config.plist to lock this value...
I don't have this problem @rafale77. The only thing I have done when upgrading to 0.9.4 is changing the PlayChime entry from true to string Auto and the chime is working fine for me.

I don't have this problem @rafale77. The only thing I have done when upgrading to 0.9.4 is changing the PlayChime entry from true to string Auto and the chime is working fine for me.

That is interesting. Let me try that...

Edit:
Indeed, it appears that setting the "playchime" setting to "auto" instead of "enabled"/"True" makes OC ignore the systemvolumeDB. The OS still resets that value to 0 upon reboot though.

Last edited:
I've updated to 0.6.5 nightly and everything is working OK (i'm not using audio from ALC kext but from an USB soundcard). The configuration baseline is from rafale77 posted on this forum.

That is interesting. Let me try that...

Edit:
Indeed, it appears that setting the "playchime" setting to "auto" instead of "enabled"/"True" makes OC ignore the systemvolumeDB. The OS still resets that value to 0 upon reboot though.
That is not my case:
1608533101721.png

Excuse me, By my G5 dm, successfully installed Big Sur,I have a hp thunderbolt 3.0 port flex io, External graphics dock(Legion BoostStation eGFX box) is connected through this port with rx5700xt graphics card,The USB ports in the graphics dock is normal, Thunderbolt displays "are Drivers no loaded" in the system information, isn't work. How to enable it?

Excuse me, By my G5 dm, successfully installed Big Sur,I have a hp thunderbolt 3.0 port flex io, External graphics dock(Legion BoostStation eGFX box) is connected through this port with rx5700xt graphics card,The USB ports in the graphics dock is normal, Thunderbolt displays "are Drivers no loaded" in the system information, isn't work. How to enable it?
Sounds like a great setup! I haven't seen any other posts in this thread regarding Thunderbolt and I don't have that Flex IO port in my system. I would recommend that you search for other Thunderbolt threads (like this one) and post your questions there. In my opinion, as long as you have a supported Thunderbolt chipset, your solution won't be specific to the G5 DM, so you should be able to seek advice from others who have working Thunderbolt in different systems.

BTW - it's great to know that the Thunderbolt option exists in our EliteDesk Minis. One more expansion option that makes these little PCs such great hacks.

Hello! First, great work on creating and updating these guides!! Thanks to you I finally decided to install MacOS on a PC, as I happen to have an Elitedesk mini G4. I started with Dortania's Guide and had some problems with drivers so I downloaded your EFI folder and with that I installed Catalina with no problems. Is it possible to upgrade to Big Sur with Apple's tool in System Preferences? I didn't find much info on upgrading to Big Sur just fresh install but it seems it still has many issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back