Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am testing. So far nothing too bad to report. I did notice upon reboot that the apple logo disappeared midway once. I had never seen this before so I am not sure if it is related.

I think I figured out why I was only sometimes seeing the "Low Energy" error when plugging my iPhone 7 into the left front USB3 port. The warning only appears when the iPhone 7 needs to be charged. If I plug the iPhone 7 into the left front port when it's fully charged - no warning.

Upon inspection of the labeling on the two front USB3 ports, the right front USB3 port has a "lightning bolt" and the left front USB3 port does not have a "lightning bolt." I suspect that only the right front USB3 port provides enough current for iPhone 7 charging. I never see the "Low Energy" warning on the right front USB3 port.

EDIT: I have read that the lightning bolt is supposed to mean that the port can provide power in standby. Maybe the port is also higher current for some reason - not sure.

EDIT2: This post suggests that the lightning bolt indicates a high-powered port, which is consistent with my iPhone 7 charging observations.

Last edited:
I have reviewed real Mac ACPI / IORegistry dumps back to Skylake platforms and have confirmed that Apple has been setting HPET._STA=0 for a while now. I'm surprised that I have never seen this mentioned in any guides and that newer guides still explain how to patch HPET for new hack platforms. I guess old habits / paradigms die hard. These HP EliteDesk 800 G Minis (starting with my experience in May 2020) are my first "new" hacks since my Socket 1156 system, so I have never had a reason to review the ACPI of new Macs.

Based on my own review, an ACPI patch with HPET._STA=0 should be the standard on new hacks with Skylake and newer architectures (maybe earlier). I haven't yet tested, but it would seem to me that with HPET deleted, it is no longer necessary to patch IRQs (e.g. with SSDT-TIME) (since the intent of IRQ patching is to eliminate the conflict with HPET).

It is probably inheritance and the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't touch it". It is indeed interesting. Do you see any benefit from removing the HPET patch?

It is probably inheritance and the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't touch it". It is indeed interesting. Do you see any benefit from removing the HPET patch?
I can't say that I have noticed any difference (strange since I swear my car goes faster after I wax it). At a minimum, the "benefit" is that we're no longer unnecessarily loading a device in the registry, macOS isn't unnecessary binding a driver to the device, and our hacks more closely resemble a real Mac for optimal macOS compatibility.

I can't say that I have noticed any difference (strange since I swear my car goes faster after I wax it). At a minimum, the "benefit" is that we're no longer unnecessarily loading a device in the registry, macOS isn't unnecessary binding a driver to the device, and our hacks more closely resemble a real Mac for optimal macOS compatibility.
Ha! I thought so much. Now it would be good to remove these IRQ patches too I suppose? I am all in to test this.

Ha! I thought so much. Now it would be good to remove these IRQ patches too I suppose? I am all in to test this.
Sure - that would be great. Thanks. I am currently booting CLOVER/Catalina, so not in a position to test with OC. Would definitely welcome your findings.

These HP EliteDesk 800 G Minis (starting with my experience in May 2020) are my first "new" hacks since my Socket 1156 system, so I have never had a reason to review the ACPI of new Macs.
It's still required on all Ivy Bridge and Haswell based hackintoshes. Not sure about Broadwell as I've never owned one to test. For Skylake and newer though, it's not going to cause any problems.

It's still required on all Ivy Bridge and Haswell based hackintoshes. Not sure about Broadwell as I've never owned one to test. For Skylake and newer though, it's not going to cause any problems.
Thanks, @trs96! I'm sure it doesn't "cause any problem." It's just that I'm surprised that newer guides for Skylake and newer architectures still explain how to patch Device (HPET) and IRQs instead of simply disabling HPET. If this has been an unwritten rule, I missed it.

And... I booted fine without these patches...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 11.13.15.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 11.13.15.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back