Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed the thread and have successfully installed big sur 11.6.4 on elitedesk 800 g4 mini (i5-8500t) and everything works very well so far.

The only thing i need to tweak is to uncheck "put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in energy saver.
Otherwise, it doesn't wake up if it sleeps for about 20 mins.

@408408 That's great. Glad this guide worked for you. I do have "put hard disks to sleep when possible" enabled without any issues (including no sleep issues). Do you have a mechanical hard drive installed in your EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini? If you want help, post your EFI as noted in Post #1.

Also, it would be best if you change the "Motherboard" in your profile to "HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini." I know that technically, it's not a "motherboard," but it will be much easier to know your system with that minor change.

Great job!

@408408 That's great. Glad this guide worked for you. I do have "put hard disks to sleep when possible" enabled without any issues (including no sleep issues). Do you have a mechanical hard drive installed in your EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini? If you want help, post your EFI as noted in Post #1.

Also, it would be best if you change the "Motherboard" in your profile to "HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini." I know that technically, it's not a "motherboard," but it will be much easier to know your system with that minor change.

Great job!
Thanks for the reply!
I'm only using a nvme ssd.
The sleep problem only happens if it sleeps for a longer time (> 20 mins). It wakes up with no issue if it sleeps less than 10 mins.

For the OC EFI, I combined the one in post #1 with graphics device properties in post #10 (2xDP+1HDMI: 2 DP + 1 HDMI. Audio over DP / HDMI is ENABLED).

I use DP port to connect to my monitor.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
@408408 You'd be amazed how many simple edits still have a mistake. Always best to post your EFI for help. Without a mechanical drive, I don't believe that the energy setting makes much, if any, difference for you.

Have you applied these power management settings as indicated in the installation instructions?

@408408 You'd be amazed how many simple edits still have a mistake. Always best to post your EFI for help. Without a mechanical drive, I don't believe that the energy setting makes much, if any, difference for you.

Have you applied these power management settings as indicated in the installation instructions?

My bad, didn't click the save button :(

And to answer your question, I did run that script for power management settings.

I guess I will do a few more tests later today with "put hard disks to sleep when possible" enabled. Maybe I did something else that fixed the issue.

@408408 I did a quick search and don't see any references indicating that "put hard disks to sleep when possible" has any affect on or value for SSDs. If you don't have a mechanical drive, just leave the setting off.

EDIT: @408408 I seem to recall having another hack where "put hard disks to sleep..." wasn't an option in my energy settings. I think that MacOS tries to detect the presence of a mechanical drive and that the option should only appear when a mechanical drive is present. It's possible that you found a bug in our hackintosh implementation that fools macOS into thinking there's a mechanical drive when there isn't. Again, without a mechanical drive, disable "put hard disks to sleep..."

Last edited:
Hello,

I followed the guides and created the USB installer for Big Sur. Tried many combinations and settings, but ran out of ideas! The installer hangs at downloading the Big Sur image. Attached is my EFI folder and a screenshot where the installer freezes.

Could anyone please have a look at what might be the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5131.jpg
    IMG_5131.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5130.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 49
  • EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
Looks like it's attempting to connect to Apple servers, is it connected to the internet ?

Hello,

I followed the guides and created the USB installer for Big Sur. Tried many combinations and settings, but ran out of ideas! The installer hangs at downloading the Big Sur image. Attached is my EFI folder and a screenshot where the installer freezes.

please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Looks like it's attempting to connect to Apple servers, is it connected to the internet ?
Yes, also the installer doesn't start if there is no internet connection.

I noticed some IFJS: Package Authoring Errors..., not sure if it might be the cause. See the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• IMG_5134.jpg
    IMG_5134.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back