Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For those who are feeling adventurous and who have the budget, I've seen evidence that hacking the EliteDesk 800 G6 Mini (Q470 Chipset, 10th Gen Intel CPU / UHD630) should be possible with good results. It looks like you'd need to spoof a device-id. I still think that the G5 Mini / i9-9900 is the best HackMini8,1 for the money at this time, but if someone does tackle the G6 Mini in another thread, it would be interesting to say the least. Because of the minimal performance difference between the i9-9900 and the i7-10700 (the only major difference being memory bandwidth), I wouldn't advise going with a G6 Mini unless you plan to equip it with a 10th Gen i9 (i9-10900 10 core / 20 thread). I can't guarantee that the G6 Mini will be a good hackintosh, so attempting a G6 Mini hack is at your own risk.

EDIT: I looked at the device-id for the i9-10900 (here) and see that it is 0x9BC5. According to this, device-id 0x9BC5 is natively supported. It is possible that an EliteDesk 800 G6 Mini with i9-10900 can run macOS without spoofing the device-id.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Many thanks to advice and instructions from @miliuco , @macnb and @antuneddu in another forum who patiently helped me understand how to change volume names in the OC boot menu / boot picker. If you are booting multiple macOS volumes via OC, these steps may interest you. I am repeating the steps here, because I have been unable to link and/or reference the original source without violating a tonymacx86 policy. Credit for this information goes to the three of them.
  1. Disable SIP by modifying OC config.plist. For Big Sur, disable SIP by changing csr-active-config to FF0F0000 and adding csr-active-config to NVRAM > Delete > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82. Reboot with the modified config.plist and Reset NVRAM before booting macOS with the config.plist changes.
  2. 'sudo diskutil mount' the Preboot volume associated with each volume whose OC menu entry you wish to rename
  3. using an editor like 'vi,' edit /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails in each Preboot volume, where UUID-number is the unique UUID of each Preboot volume. With the .disk_label.contentDetails file open in your editor, modify the volume name to be exactly as you wish it to appear in the OC boot menu and save the file.
  4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for each Preboot volume associated with the macOS volume in OC boot menu
  5. Reboot and confirm your changed volume names in the OC boot menu
  6. After confirming your changed volume names, fully enable SIP (change csr-active-config back to 00000000 in OC's config.plist), reboot and Reset NVRAM before booting macOS

EDIT: In "the other forum's" Open Core Discussion, @miliuco provided another way to disable SIP in Open Core: To quote him: "Misc > Security > AllowToggleSip when true enables Toogle SIP tool in the picker, this tool switch SIP enabled to disabled and vicecersa with a single click and makes it very easy to boot once with SIP disabled without modifying csr-active-config in config.plist."

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@miliuco

I probably should have posted using a spoiler ;)

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Some of the followers of this thread are probably too new to remember Rehabman who famously replied "No problem reporting files" when people posted questions without any supporting details/information. Occasionally, I visit other threads as I'm still learning and I'm amazed by the questions. I was once a beginner (and am far from an expert) and recall the many times that I asked questions only to receive Rehabman's "No problem reporting files" response. At the time, the response seemed trite, unhelpful and impatient, but now I know better.

Imagine if I visited a DIY car repair forum and asked "My car doesn't start. Can you fix it?" without stating the make, model and year of the car, the engine / trim specifics that distinguish my car from other models in its model/year, the symptoms, how many miles were on the car, the amount of fuel in the tank, what exactly the engine does when I engage the ignition switch ... Silly, isn't it?

When posting questions, always attach your EFI as described in Post #1, make sure that your post fully describes your system (e.g. HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini, i9-9900, 3 x DP -> DP displays, 32GB RAM, 500GB WD SN750 NVMe SSD, Open Core 0.7.4, macOS Big Sur 11.6) and include any supporting description / documention of the problem.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@deeveedee
I wish this were usual behaviour when asking for help. It's difficult for me to understand why someone asks anything thinking that there is no need to say some words about the hard and soft he/she is using.
And I miss Rehabman. What a brain!

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@miliuco I remember many times when Rehabman replied to me with "No problem reporting files." I wasn't intentionally trying to be difficult. I was just too much of a novice to realize that the people I hoped to help me weren't mind readers and magicians. They were (and are) just like me (only much smarter and much more patient :) ).

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've seen reports indicating that the new M1X-based MacMini will have memory options up to 64GB. Performance of the M1X should far exceed anything we've seen with Intel-based systems and should drive pricing of the "old" M1-based MacMini down even further than the current lowest price of $799 for the 16GB version.