Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
I9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but XCode 12.5.1 was updated to XCode 13 on my rig. I think it happened with the latest Safari 15.0 update, but I'm not sure why that would be the case. In any event, I need to stay on XCode 12.5.1 and now my software builds are broken. It's unfortunate that an update like this is quietly inserted without warning.

EDIT: I examined TimeMachine and see that I was running XCode 12.5.1 earlier today (prior to the Safari 15.0 update). Manually reverting to XCode 12.5.1 resolved my build issues.

Last edited:
Motherboard
PC HP EliteDesk 800 G4
CPU
i5 8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@dolphin19303 While I'd love to create ACPI patches and a working EFI for the G6, they're still too expensive (my opinion). For best performance right now, purchase a 65W G5 with i9-9900 (and ignore all my previous claims that the i9 was overkill). See my latest i9-9900 conclusion here. I love my rig with the following specs:
  • EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini 65W
  • i9-9900
  • 32GB DDR4 2666 (2 x 16GB)
  • 2 x 500GB SN750 WD Black NVMe SSD
  • 2 TB SATA HD (for backup, TimeMachine) (use SATA Caddy mod here)
If you need Wi-Fi, add the Wi-Fi module here.

If the above specs result in a system that is too expensive, purchase a G4 Mini 65W with i7-8700.
Hi @deeveedee I see this build is flawless with my budget for now.
I still have an concern that how is that compare to Mac mini M1 with 16GB RAM. This comparison is lame but I see lots of review about M1 Mac mini and the price is similar to above build.
At leasts in developer view (I'm a developer), I need much ram to multiple task so I can reach 32GB an so on in G5 but I see M1 Mac mini review is incrediable fast and smooth also, no lag, heating ...
can you give me some advance ?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
I9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@dolphin19303 I'm sticking with Intel for now, because some of the development tools I need aren't ready for M1. If you are certain that your tools all work on M1, you are lucky to have a choice. I don't have personal experience with M1, so I can't advise you on performance other than to point to the same reports and benchmarks that you have seen. M1 is impressive on paper. By the time I'm ready to switch to Apple hardware, I'm sure my tools will be ready. For now, this HackMini does work perfectly.

Maybe @turk101 and @xuandung38 and @mamomamo can offer advice.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP elitedesk 800 g4
CPU
i5 quad
Graphics
intel 630

deeveedee.....well my Hp went to a grandson in need....so I am on the M1 mini.....gave my father in law my 8 gig M1 and picked up a 16 gig M1 mini for 799 on apple refurbed....Love it...does all i need to do....and fast....i know there are some issues with older developer software...but as i start to step back from that part of my life...M1 is heck of a machine...and it just works....but..I have been hackintoshing for years.....its the thrill of the hunt...and why cant i do that....but i still keep my hand in it as long as i can....Thanks for your great help on this mission....but as you said....alot of software is evolving to the m1 so its a waiting game for some...​

logyon

Suspended
Motherboard
HP 800 G4 Mini
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630 ??
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@deeveedee thanks, there was something odd with my mac vanilla installer, just remade it and installed it and then followed the instructions so far in your opening post. Everything is working so far thanks I just need to sort the gfx properties I think to use 2dp and hdmi and then get my wifi Bluetooth card sorted on pay day.

Do you have any links to the adapters and the card in the UK it Ali express?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
I9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@logyon I think this and a search function should be all that you need to find what you're looking for.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
I9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@turk101 Thank you for posting the great info about the MacMini M1. I have close to $700 USD in my G5 Mini here (i9-9900, 32GB RAM, 2 x 500GB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, 1 x 2TB SATA HD) and its performance (on paper) does not match that of the real MacMini 2020 (M1). For those who are considering this HackMini because it's a cheaper alternative to the real thing, the real 16GB MacMini 2020 (M1) should give you reasons to reconsider.

Motherboard
HP Elitedesk G4
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I also had the M1 Mini with 16GB Ram and 256GB SSD. I can confirm the grahic artifacta issue, called pink squares after login, problems with dual display (no probs with single display)... These issues weresolves with the updates and reappeared later with newer updates.. I sold it because with my normal daily usage the system was swapping... With 16GB ram on a non replaceable ssd... I also noticed that the system got slower by time... Tried a fresh install, but the system remained slower ... All this in 3-4 month... I got angry on the apple ssd, the system swap thing and decided to sell the Mini...

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
[USER =2480189] @dolphin19303[/USER] Tôi hiện đang gắn bó với Intel, bởi vì một số công cụ phát triển tôi cần chưa sẵn sàng cho M1. Nếu bạn chắc chắn rằng tất cả các công cụ của bạn đều hoạt động trên M1, bạn may mắn có một sự lựa chọn. Tôi không có kinh nghiệm cá nhân với M1, vì vậy tôi không thể tư vấn cho bạn về hiệu suất ngoài việc chỉ ra các báo cáo và điểm chuẩn tương tự mà bạn đã thấy. M1 rất ấn tượng trên giấy. Vào thời điểm tôi đã sẵn sàng để chuyển sang phần cứng của Apple, tôi chắc chắn các công cụ của tôi sẽ sẵn sàng. Hiện tại, HackMini này hoạt động hoàn hảo.

Có thể @turk101@xuandung38@mamomamo có thể đưa ra lời khuyên.
I am using macbook air m1 version 16gb ram and macmini m1 version 8gb ram.
After using it for more than 2 months, I noticed that the m1 is much better, but with the 8gb version, there is often a shortage - overflow of ram!

Motherboard
HP
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Intel
Thanks for this comprehensive guide.
I have installed Big Sur on my HP Elitedesk G3.
Working, except, the display memory show up as 14MB.
(Graphics card is Intel 630)
What is the solution to this?
Thanks
Matt.