Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to updating the Acidanthera kexts in my OC EFI. A new OC 0.6.3 EFI (r005) is attached to Post #1 with the following kext updates:
  • Lilu.kext (from 1.4.8 to 1.4.9)
  • AppleALC.kext (from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4)
  • WhateverGreen.kext (from 1.4.3 to 1.4.4)
I am not sure that these updates affected much if anything in the EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Minis and AppleALC 1.5.4 does not fix the microphone in the headset connector port (my microphone tests failed for both a stand-alone microphone and the microphone in a CTIA style (4-connector) headset).

DVMT Pre-allocated Memory is not configurable via the BIOS UI, so I've been wondering whether it is configured correctly (even though it doesn't appear to be causing any issues). As per Firewolf's instructions here, I confirmed the DVMT pre-allocated memory size for my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini by booting Windows and examining Advanced Display Properties. The Dedicated Video Memory is 128MB. Since MacOS boots without any issues and the Dedicated Video Memory > 64MB, we don't need to worry about adjusting DVMT Pre-allocated Memory.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to apply Firewolf's techniques (using UEFITool and Universal IFR Extractor) to find CFG-Lock. I extracted the BIOS .bin file, but UEFITool does not reveal a "Setup" section and any section body that I extract (with UEFITool) from the .bin file is unreadable by IFR Extractor (Error: Unknown Protocol). I tried with earlier versions of the BIOS .bin file, but still no luck.

thumbnail_DVMT-pre-alloc.jpg

Last edited:
DVMT Pre-allocated Memory is not configurable via the BIOS UI, so I've been wondering whether it is configured correctly (even though it doesn't appear to be causing any issues). As per Firewolf's instructions here, I confirmed the DVMT pre-allocated memory size for my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini by booting Windows and examining Advanced Display Properties. The Dedicated Video Memory is 128MB. Since MacOS boots without any issues and the Dedicated Video Memory > 64MB, we don't need to worry about adjusting DVMT Pre-allocated Memory.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to apply Firewolf's techniques (using UEFITool and Universal IFR Extractor) to find CFG-Lock. I extracted the BIOS .bin file, but UEFITool does not reveal a "Setup" section and any section body that I extract (with UEFITool) from the .bin file is unreadable by IFR Extractor (Error: Unknown Protocol). I tried with earlier versions of the BIOS .bin file, but still no luck.

View attachment 497951

On the BIOS binary... That's why I sent you all the bios setup options dump in another post. HP uses a proprietary BIOS management system which is accessible through a windows powershell tool.

On the BIOS binary... That's why I sent you all the bios setup options dump in another post. HP uses a proprietary BIOS management system which is accessible through a windows powershell tool.
Examining the BIOS Setup UI (via Windows Powershell Tool or otherwise) will not help us, since the BIOS does not expose CFG-Lock to the user. I've read in another forum that someone used Firewolf's technique to patch CFG-Lock on an EliteDesk 800 G1 Mini after finding the CFG-Lock memory offset in the .bin (using UEFITool and IFR Extractor).

CFGLock.efi by @brumbaer in another forum looks interesting.

Last edited:
I just tested the CFGLock.efi and it fails at not finding a cfg key...

I just tested the CFGLock.efi and it fails at not finding a cfg key...
Interesting. I wonder what it means if OC's VerifyMsrE2.efi reports locked MSR 0XE2, but CFGLock.efi reports that it can't find the key. My OC testing is much more limited than yours (still spending most of my time with CLOVER r5122 and Catalina), but I haven't noticed any behavioral difference when booting BS with OC 0.6.3, without the CFGLock Quirks. Do you notice any difference with and without the CFGLock Quirks? Could it be that CFG Lock is not actually enabled and is being misreported by VerifyMsrE2.efi because of something in the HP BIOS?

I am wondering about that too. I am not seeing any difference either but I am also not sure what to look for. kernel panic? error codes? I did an ACPI dump with hackintool and saw a couple of errors. I will post them in a bit.

I am wondering about that too. I am not seeing any difference either but I am also not sure what to look for. kernel panic? error codes? I did an ACPI dump with hackintool and saw a couple of errors. I will post them in a bit.
When I was first hacking the G4 Mini at the end of May 2020 (CLOVER r5119 and Catalina), MacOS would not boot without KernelPm=true (and contrary to what I read, CLOVER did not automatically enable KernelPm=true when required). When I discovered this, it was completely by accident (trial and error) and I had no knowledge of CFG Lock. I might have read it somewhere, because I certainly didn't know whether or why I needed it.

I thought that CLOVER's "KernelPm=true" was analogous to OC's "AppleXcpmCfgLock -> YES." But since I haven't found that I need OC's AppleXcpmCfgLock -> YES to boot MacOS with OC 0.6.3, I'm not sure what's going on.

You never stop, what a pace. One simple question because from what i've in this thread i'm a little bit confused.

From @deeveedee big post :) "Since my SSDTs are specific to the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, they may not work in other systems.", strict to G4 or also apply to be used with G5?

@rafale77 Are you using @deeveedee EFI or building a diferent one?

Once again FANTASTIC work, what an amazing job. Even though i'm a hackintosh rookie i read your posts deeply to try to learn something. You are gods on the Gs :)

You never stop, what a pace. One simple question because from what i've in this thread i'm a little bit confused.

From @deeveedee big post :) "Since my SSDTs are specific to the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, they may not work in other systems.", strict to G4 or also apply to be used with G5?

@rafale77 Are you using @deeveedee EFI or building a diferent one?

Once again FANTASTIC work, what an amazing job. Even though i'm a hackintosh rookie i read your posts deeply to try to learn something. You are gods on the Gs :)
I have only tested with my EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini. Others have claimed that my EFI also works with G5 Mini.

Read all Known Issues (including those in the Catalina thread) to see what you might have to change/customize in your EFI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back