Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@deeveedee I'm using 800 G4 65w with your hackintosh for a long time ago and It worked perfectly. I keep following this thread since then. I have a concern that If I want to buy another one for my friend. Which one should I choose now, G5 or G6 ? (I want to use the I7 CPU for maximum perfomance, he is a developer :D)

@dolphin19303 While I'd love to create ACPI patches and a working EFI for the G6, they're still too expensive (my opinion). For best performance right now, purchase a 65W G5 with i9-9900 (and ignore all my previous claims that the i9 was overkill). See my latest i9-9900 conclusion here. I love my rig with the following specs:
  • EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini 65W
  • i9-9900
  • 32GB DDR4 2666 (2 x 16GB)
  • 2 x 500GB SN750 WD Black NVMe SSD
  • 2 TB SATA HD (for backup, TimeMachine) (use SATA Caddy mod here)
If you need Wi-Fi, add the Wi-Fi module here.

If the above specs result in a system that is too expensive, purchase a G4 Mini 65W with i7-8700.

Last edited:
@deeveedee okay tks for your advance, It helps a lots. I'll searching G5 for him because I see everything almost the same with my G4 (only different CPU) :headbang:

Graphics Device Properties
  • 3xDP-to-DVI (default solution in EFIs attached to Post #1): 3 x DP -> DVI adapters. Audio over DP/HDMI is disabled with property No-hda-gfx to prevent kernel panic on wake. Provided by @deeveedee. See here and here and here for my work to determine these DeviceProperties.
  • 3xDP_NoHdaGfx: 3 x DP. Audio over DP is disabled with property No-hda-gfx. Provided by @cavesdev
  • 3xDP_NoHdaGfx-v2: 3 x DP. Audio over DP is disabled with property No-hda-gfx. Provided by @deeveedee . This is a simplified property list that needs testing. If you have 3xDP and do not want audio over DP, please test and post your test results. See background here.
  • 2xDP+1HDMI: 2 DP + 1 HDMI. Audio over DP / HDMI is ENABLED. Provided by @NeoNero
  • 3xDP: 3 DP. Audio over DP is ENABLED. Provided by @rafale77. See details here.
Are there any properties for 2xDP+1VGA port. I got 35W Mini elitedesk version with 2xDP+1VGA port

Are there any properties for 2xDP+1VGA port. I got 35W Mini elitedesk version with 2xDP+1VGA port
VGA has not been supported for many years

VGA should be supported with UHD 630. I've seen multiple approaches, so you'll need to try both. Try 3 DP port-types (a DP port for the VGA port) and then try a VGA port-type.

@thinh.lam If you post your EFI with your attempted config, we can take a look. When you get VGA working, we'll want to add it to the DeviceProperties listed here.

@thinh.lam This post should help you with your DeviceProperties patching.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 10.59.08 PM.png

VGA should be supported with UHD 630. I've seen multiple approaches, so you'll need to try both. Try 3 DP port-types (a DP port for the VGA port) and then try a VGA port-type.

@thinh.lam If you post your EFI with your attempted config, we can take a look. When you get VGA working, we'll want to add it to the DeviceProperties listed here.

@thinh.lam This post should help you with your DeviceProperties patching.
Thank you very much let me try with your post first to see if it working or not

Just wanted to say thank you for this great guide and all the helpful links and infos!

For those interested I attached an upgraded EFI which is based off the OC 0.7.1 EFI from the OP.
It includes the OC 0.7.2 upgrade described here and a nice OpenCanopy boot picker using BigSurFlat theme. I also disabled the BootChime. A properly formatted changelog in Markdown is included (I also reformatted the whole changelog from the OP).
The BootChime is explicitly disabled without removing AudioDxe and its configurations, so you may just enable it again.
I know that most likely I could remove a lot of the OC Binary Data since it is currently unused by the theme, but I refrained from doing so.
Screenshots of the Bootpicker and OS info for reference:

bootpicker.png
system.png

@deeveedee Since I'm tinkering with DeviceProperties right now I've got a question: as mentioned by you over here it's not required to explictly set most of the properties because they're automatically set by the Kexts. Is this still true if I want to change the device type of one specific port, e.g. change con2 device type to HDMI? Would just adding enable framebuffer patching and the connection type to @rafale77 3xDP properties like shown below be enough (I'm going to test this next week, but can't right now)?

Code:
                <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>

Attachments

• OpenCore_0.7.2_r002.zip
    11.6 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
@Shadowghost - I'm glad this guide helped. Thanks for sharing your EFI! I don't have time to look at your EFI right now, but your approach sounds correct. The challenge with changing port types is that sometimes, the changed port types require different busIds. You can certainly try your proposed approach first. Be prepared to experiment as I did here when I was getting DP->DVI adapters to work. Good luck!

EDIT: See this post for more framebuffer patching help.

EDIT 2: Note that for the 3xDP patch, explicitly setting the port types was not required, because the framebuffer (AAPL,ig-platform-id) already defines the three ports. Read this to learn more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back