Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also had the MacMini M1 for a 20 days, I sent it back because every now and then it produced artifacts video card, it made horizontal pixels of the lines but not continuous, it did it only sometimes, maybe for 3 hours never anyway, apart from the video noise, the MacMini did not satisfy me very much (I state that I had the version with 8gb of ram) with the same applications that I usually keep open with the small Lenovo M93P the warning appeared very often to me that the memory was running out...
Maybe I should change the title of this thread from "The perfect MacMini..." to "The better MacMini..." :). Thank you for sharing your "real MacMini" experience. Given how incredibly good my experience is and has been with the 800 G4 Mini and 800 G5 Mini and given your experience, it sounds like it's very possible that this HackMini is better than the real thing. Amazing.

@deeveedee I've been watching this thread here and on the other site, found an i7-8700 G4 35W for a good price, and have diligently followed instructions. Most everything working (very occasional wake-from sleep issues). THANK YOU. Great box.

I had a 750GB 2.5" sata hard drive sitting around, so I dremel'd the caddy as per your instructions and added it as a 3rd drive (I've got two 512 m.2 drives, one macOS, one split for Windows and an extra exFat partition)… But I can't get it to play nice with 3 drives. If the 2.5" SATA is plugged in, one of the m.2s won't show, or will show… but as "disabled" in BIOS. Even when I switch positions of the m.2 drives, that clever HP bios seems to guess where MacOS is and disable that drive. If I pull the SATA cable… everything seems to go back to normal?

Anyone else had similar issues? I'm wondering if it's a limitation of the 35w version? Any bios secret setting I'm not aware of?

EDIT: @andjules - I'm leaving the post below, since it may still help, but my first thought after re-reading your post is that you must have 3 EFIs and the BIOS is disabling 1 of them. Is that the case? I'm guessing, but I have an HP Envy x360 15m laptop that I hacked (it is a perfect hack after much work). The BIOS on the laptop permits a single EFI, so I have the OC 0.7.0 EFI on my m.2 NVMe SSD and no EFI on the SATA HD (used for backup and time machine). Again, I'm guessing, but you may have discovered a "2 EFI limitation" with the HP EliteDesk BIOS. I'll leave my post below in case this guess is wrong.

Note: on my 800 G5 Mini, I configured the BIOS boot options so that the M.2 NVMe drives are bootable and the SATA HD is disabled (not a boot option). I have never tried/tested 3 bootable drives in the 800 Gx Minis.

--------------------------------------------------

@andjules I have no issues with 3 drives (2 M.2 NVMe SSD, 1 SATA HD). I use 2 WD Black SSDs and a Toshiba 2TB HD.

Are you certain that your BIOS settings are exactly as I described in the PDF attached here? What brand of NVMe SSDs are you using?

Please post your sanitized EFI.

One thought - my power supply is 95W. Could it be that your 35W rig has a 65W power supply? Maybe this doesn't source enough current for 3 drives? Also, the 35W rig does not include a 2.5" drive caddy fan. Did you install a drive caddy fan? If not, I would recommend that you install the drive caddy fan, because your 3 drives are generating some heat.

Last edited:
THANK YOU.
It's obvious to me now, but I'd been assuming I needed to rearrange the three drives in the boot order rather than disable one of them (without disabling the drive itself). When I kept seeing it ignore or disable one of the three drives I kept thinking something was wrong. Disabled the SATA drive as a boot option and now all is well.

It's true mine didn't come with a 2.5" drive caddy fan. I'll monitor (main) fan speed/noise for a little. I also left the middle metal floor out of the caddy, so the drive is just suspended from side screws. The reality is the third drive is a luxury and I'd love to have a script to mount it twice a day and run a time machine backup, then unmount it (and let it spin down). Then again, I see AliExpress will ship me the fan for ~$10 so perhaps a good investment.

@andjules Glad that helped. I pinged you on the "other site."

@andjules What are the "occasional wake from sleep issues" that you are experiencing. The only issue I observe after waking is that (very rarely) Ethernet is not restored. Is this what you're seeing? If not, what else? If you post your sanitized EFI, we can take a look.

Last edited:
An update from my Wi-Fi/Bluetooth post here... The Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 card is continuing to work perfectly for me in my HP Envy x360 15m laptop (i5-8250U Kabylake Refresh, SMBIOS MBP14.1). I've tested with both Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.4 and the card is natively recognized without any Wi-Fi / Bluetooth kexts. My testing with the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini was brief (just to confirm that the card worked), so I don't have anything more to report for the G4/G5 Mini.

If anyone is using the Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 or another Wi-Fi/Bluetooth solution with our 800 G4/G5 Hackmini, please post your experience/test results. So far, the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth options that we have are:

• BCM94360CS2 card (with adapter) here and here
  • Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 card here

Note that I am not including Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards. Others are reporting success, but my personal experience is that they are still not yet ready for prime time.

Last edited:
The reality is the third drive is a luxury and I'd love to have a script to mount it twice a day and run a time machine backup, then unmount it (and let it spin down)
My SATA HD sleeps until TimeMachine update starts or I need to access something on my HD storage volume. In System Preferences -> Energy (or Battery -> Battery / Battery -> Power Adapter), I enable "Put HD to sleep..."

I also hide my SATA HD Volumes from Spotlight.

My HD is asleep most of the time.

Note that I am not including Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards. Others are reporting success, but my personal experience is that they are still not yet ready for prime time.
I don't want to go down the wifi/bluetooth rabbit hole here, but I have had pretty good luck with the intel card's wifi. The bluetooth is a bit more questionable, although admittedly, my main peripheral is a MagicMouse 1 so it's a bit tricky to figure out whether it's the card or the mouse that is 'flaky'. Can I ask what you experienced with the Intel card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back