Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion on the suggested cooling enhancments and settings tweaks: With the Mini series, HP has made conscious design tradeoffs between size and performance. For me, the decision to purchase an 800 G Mini was more about size while still getting great performance. For those who want better performance (especially when needing to run CPU-intensive applications for long periods of time), I'd suggest purchasing a PC with a larger case and a better cooling solution. If someone knows how to tweak CPU voltage on the 800 G Minis so we can experiment with undervolting our rigs, that would be interesting, too.
Completely agree. I am not going to add fans or any outside the box mod for these since the main draw of this box is its small size. It is technically smaller than even a mac mini and ohh so much more flexible in what it can contain and what can be plugged into it. I just think it is worth mentioning that a core i9 in this is a waste and one should be content with an i5 or i7 for the 65W CPUs. It is not just a matter of TDP as effective heat generation varies quite a bit. Like most desktop applications, single core performance probably matters more.

@rafale77 - I agree with your i9/i7/i5 assessment. I might even go a step further and suggest that 9th gen is a waste in this mini formfactor. The i7-8700 is plenty powerful in these Minis, which means that purchasing a G4 Mini is going to be a better deal than a G5 Mini. Note: I'm typing this post on my EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini with 9th-Gen i7-9700. :)

This article is enlightening.

EDIT: My 9th-Gen comment is not a ding of the Intel 9th-Gen CPU. 9th-Gen CPUs are great. However, since the 9th-Gen Intel CPU is available only on the G5 Mini (unless someone has successfully installed a 9th-Gen CPU on a G4 Mini), I'm merely stating that the 9th-Gen CPU is not the best bang for your buck in the Mini series (because it is only available on the G5 Mini). Based purely on my own experience, as long as G5 pricing remains higher than G4 pricing (and I don't see why it won't stay that way), I think the G4 Mini is a better value than the G5 Mini for our HackMini8,1.

See my revised comments about the i9-9900 here.

Last edited:
I'll share my configuration. I'm using 3x DP: 2x original DP ports + USB-C flex port (not tested, will report back when I get a USB-C cable)
Currently using just one DP cable.
------------------------------------------
DeviceProperties : 3 x DP
Audio Device Properties
: Audio over DP / HDMI is disabled with property No-hda-gfx. My monitor does not have speakers, so I use the internal one.

Attachments

• 3xDP.plist
    1.9 KB · Views: 44
I'll share my configuration. I'm using 3x DP: 2x original DP ports + USB-C flex port (not tested, will report back when I get a USB-C cable)
Audio Device Properties
: Audio over DP / HDMI is disabled with property No-hda-gfx. My monitor does not have speakers, so I use the internal one.
Thank you! I attached your DeviceProperties here.

Audio Device Properties
Working like a charm! With your DeviceProperties section I was able to get rid of some random black screens. Thank you so much.

I'm using it with 3 x DP, no adapters.

Working like a charm! With your DeviceProperties section I was able to get rid of some random black screens. Thank you so much.

I'm using it with 3 x DP, no adapters.
If you have speakers on your DP monitors, you should be able to remove the No-hda-gfx audio property to enable audio over DP. I'll post additional DeviceProperties here when we have a proven solution using DP with Audio.

Hello, i use this DeviceProperties connected with two DP 1920 x 1200 without Adapter and one HDMI 1920 x 1080 with DP/HDMI Adapter.
I see that your DeviceProperties include 3xDP framebuffer_conX_types, even though you're using a DP->HDMI adapter on the 3rd DP port. Three questions:
  1. Are you using the Audio No-hda-gfx property? If not, does your rig wake without a kernel panic? I ask, because I've observed that a kernel panic results without No-hda-gfx when a graphics adapter is used. For example, I need to use No-hda-gfx because I have DP->DVI adapters (otherwise, I get a kernel panic on wake) and I have successfully advised others to use No-hda-gfx when they were using DP->HDMI adapters.
  2. Have you tried framebuffer-con2-type = 0x0800 (reverse byte order 0x00080000)? I ask, because I've observed that graphics work best when the framebuffer-conX-type matches the converted display (e.g. when using a DP->HDMI adapter, the framebuffer-conX-type should be HDMI and when using a DP->DVI adapter, the framebuffer conX-type should be DVI).
  3. According to this guide, bus-id 0x01 is not valid for DP ports (valid bus-ids for DP ports are 0x02, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06). I haven't confirmed this myself and have just trusted the guide. Are you having any issues with using bus-id 0x01 with a DP port? Have you tried using only ports 0x02, 0x04, 0x05 and/or 0x06 to see if your rig performs better in any way?
Thanks!

Last edited:
anyone also using the Intel wifi/bluetooth card? The wifi works great, but bluetooth works only if it's 6-12 inches close to the PC.
I thought it was a faulty wifi card, but with Windows it works normally, 10 meters or even more. It might be a IntelBluetooth problem tho. Unfortunately I can't really test since I sold my laptop.
So it was the card that was bugged or with some weird problem. It is a intel 7265ngw, I bought a 8265ngw and it works flawless under windows and macOS with the itlwm. Only bluetooth 4.0 won't connect. but that's an intel bug.
Now the only think i've to fix is the audio with the DP to HDMI adapter. I know that it doesn't work because it was made to work with DVI>DP. But since my monitor doesn't have audio I couldn't care less. But since I sometimes use the elitedesk over my TV I kinda need the audio over hdmi adapter, as soon as I get some free time I will try to fix it.

@stormblessed I haven't seen evidence that AppleALC audio is possible with an adapter (e.g. DP -> HDMI). I first discovered that the No-hda-gfx DeviceProperty was required with my DP->DVI adapters and it appears to me that DP->HDMI has the same issue. If you're using AppleALC.kext, then when using a graphics adapter (e.g. DP->DVI or DP->HDMI) without No-hda-gfx DeviceProperty, you're likely to experience a kernel panic on wake from sleep. I don't want to discourage you - just letting you know my experience.

EDIT: @stormblessed - see here for more info about the AppleALC kernel panic.

EDIT2: @stormblessed - I was reviewing the Catalina Thread and see that I was experimenting with VoodooHDA.kext. Since VoodooHDA.kext does not have the kernel panic issue, you may want to test it to see if you get audio over a DP->HDMI adapter AND you can still wake from sleep. You will need to add VoodooHDA.kext to your EFI/OC/Kexts folder, disable AppleALC.kext in your OC/config.plist and enable VoodooHDA.kext in your OC/config.plist.

Last edited:
  • @rafale77 - I think you have DeviceProperties that are not yet added here and I want to make sure your DeviceProperties are represented. Do you mind posting your DeviceProperties modeled after the example here?
  • @Delek - you indicated here that the BCM94360NG works in our Minis OOB with no mods/kexts. Are you (or anyone else) still recommending this Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card for our HackMinis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back