Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @deeveedee,

It is still puzzling that the event is so rare. Because I have owned both G4s and G5s, I can even go as far as to tell that the hardware are identical. The difference is in the BIOS and the biggest difference between the G4 and G5 is the CPU microcode and device ID preventing you from cross flashing BIOS. I can't actually see any other difference.
Between the 600 and the 800s, the difference is in the remote management support, also located in the BIOS.
Maybe look for some BIOS settings? Low CMOS battery? When errors are inconsistent like these, they tend to be a timing issue during the boot process.

Thanks @deeveedee,

It is still puzzling that the event is so rare. Because I have owned both G4s and G5s, I can even go as far as to tell that the hardware are identical. The difference is in the BIOS and the biggest difference between the G4 and G5 is the CPU microcode and device ID preventing you from cross flashing BIOS. I can't actually see any other difference.
Between the 600 and the 800s, the difference is in the remote management support, also located in the BIOS.
Maybe look for some BIOS settings? Low CMOS battery? When errors are inconsistent like these, they tend to be a timing issue during the boot process.
I replaced the battery on the off chance might be it....been looking at bios until i am blind....works great now...always trying to run lean and mean EFI.....missed something on my EFI

Thanks @deeveedee,

It is still puzzling that the event is so rare.
I have an 800 G3 Mini with i7-7700T and occasionally test it to try to get wake from sleep working. It almost always experiences RTC issues during normal operation without RtcMemoryFixup.kext and rtcfx_exclude=B0-B4 (probably a narrower exclude range, but haven't bothered to test). I don't own all platforms, but based on observations, something has improved from G3 to G4 to G5. I haven't compared the hardware, so I'll trust you that the G4 and G5 Mini hardware is identical and that the CPU and CPU Microcode in BIOS are the only differences. We are running with different graphics connectors (and thus different framebuffer patching) which can definitely have implications.

Regardless, the RTC issue (when it does happen on the G4 Mini) is so easy to recover from (just ignore the error and press Enter) that it's just a minor annoyance and not a show-stopper.

I have an 800 G3 Mini with i7-7700T and occasionally test it to try to get wake from sleep working. It almost always experiences RTC issues during normal operation without RtcMemoryFixup.kext and rtcfx_exclude=B0-B4 (probably a narrower exclude range, but haven't bothered to test). I don't own all platforms, but based on observations, something has improved from G3 to G4 to G5. I haven't compared the hardware, so I'll trust you that the G4 and G5 Mini hardware is identical and that the CPU and CPU Microcode in BIOS are the only differences. We are running with different graphics connectors (and thus different framebuffer patching) which can definitely have implications.

Regardless, the RTC issue (when it does happen on the G4 Mini) is so easy to recover from (just ignore the error and press Enter) that it's just a minor annoyance and not a show-stopper.
I am setting this up for my 81 year old father in law...his old 2012 mac mini starting to fade away...so fixing this up for him...trying to keep it simple for him..lol..and this is a great machine...same footprint..etc..and with 16 gig ram and samsung NVME...it is very fast..

For those experiencing RTC issues with the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, this may be helpful. I have found with my G3 Mini that the rtcfx_exclude range required for my G3 Mini is NOT a contiguous range (e.g. not B0-B4).

EDIT: I tried to convert my G3 Mini rtcfx_exclude range to an rtc-blacklist in OC 0.6.3, but my converted exclude range did not work. I'm sure this is user error and will need to review this again to find my mistake. Staying with boot-arg rtcfx_exclude and RtcMemoryFixup.kext for now.

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 8.03.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Prior to my upgrade to OC 0.6.5, I upgraded to Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) (still running OC 0.6.3). I also attached the latest version (r006) of my OC 0.6.3 EFI to Post #1. Including RTCMemoryFixup.kext with boot-arg rtcfx_exclude=B0-B3,B7 has resolved the RTC issues that I observed with my EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini. The updated EFI (r006) includes the following changes from r005:

ACPI
  • Replaced SSDT-AWAC with SSDT-AWAC-HPET: disables AWAC and HPET
  • Removed SSDT-HPET (no longer patching HPET now that it is disabled)
Kexts
  • Updated AppleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen
  • Added RTCMemoryFixup
config.plist
  • Updated "ACPI > Add" to reflect ACPI changes
  • Updated "ACPI > Patch" by eliminating unnecessary HPET / IRQ patching (now that HPET is disabled)
  • Added "Booter > Quirks > AllowRelocationBlock=No" (prep for OC 0.6.4+)
  • Changed "Booter > Quirks > EnableWriteUnprotector" from Yes to No (as recommended by OC Sanity Checker for CoffeeLake Laptop)
  • Updated "Kernel > Add" with RTCMemoryFixup
  • Added "Misc > Security > BlacklistAppleUpdate=Yes" (prep for OC 0.6.4+)
  • Added "rtcfx_exclude=B0-B3,B7" to "NVRAM > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args" to prevent RTC corruption on Big Sur Shutdown and during MacOS installs

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 8.00.20 PM.png

Last edited:
I was poking around in some other threads and wanted to clear up a misconception: OC does fully support injecting a user-patched DSDT (instead of renaming / SSDT patching). I am currently experimented with a custom DSDT for my EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini and OC has no problem injecting my patched DSDT.

The OC EFI update referenced below has been superseded by the update here.
----------------------------------------------------
I have attached a revised OC0.6.5-EFI-r001.zip archive to Post #1. This revised EFI for 0C 0.6.5 includes the following updates:
  • Replaced all drivers with those released with OC 0.6.5 (including OpenCore.efi)
  • Updated AppleALC, IntelMausi, WhateverGreen kexts
  • Updated config.plist with 0C 0.6.4+ changes:
    • Added NVRAM > LegacySchema > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 items (not relevant to our rig, but added for completeness)
    • Changed UEFI > Audio > PlayChime type from Boolean to String and set to Auto
    • Added UEFI > Audio > SetupDelay to match OC 0.6.5 sample.plist
    • Added @rafale77 's starup audio settings to UEFI > Audio (although I have no boot chime which is fixed here)
    • Changed UEFI > ProtocolOverrides > FirmwareVolume from 0 to 1 to match OC 0.6.5 sample.plist
    • Removed UEFI > Quirks > DeduplicateBootOrder to match OC 0.6.5 sample.plist

Last edited:
Upgraded my 800G5 to 0.6.5 along with the latest released kexts. No problem except for the need to remove the deprecated UEFI deduplicatedbootorder quirk entry from my config.plist so as not to get a warning during bootup.

Last edited:
I posted some questions for @MaLdOn on the other forum and happened to be browsing some of his DSDT patches. I think that some of what he patches is just cosmetic, so I decided to look again at the differences between a real MacMini8,1 ACPI and our HackMini8,1 ACPI. Attached is a SSDT that adds some of these cosmetic differences. I don't think these make any functional difference, but you're welcome to test and let me know. Note that I have not wrapped any of these additions in "Darwin" conditions, so these may break any non-Mac OSes if you are mutibooting with OC.

Attachments

• SSDT-MM81.zip
    677 bytes · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back