Contribute
Register

Big Sur Installation Crash at 12 Minutes Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

I am trying to install macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (non-beta) using OpenCore 0.6.3 but keeps failing. Booting the USB installation went fine but after started installing it, at exactly "12 minutes remaining" mark, the installation reboot the computer unexpectedly. The only line that I can see is something along "SIGKILL sent by diskarbitration".

Here's my PC specifications:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580
Samsung 860 EVO SSD

I also attached my EFI below. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I found the problem why it's not working for me. There's an nvram issue with z97 boards.... It requires me to flash my bios to an older version or i modify the new version bios and replace the nvramsmi with an older version. I've tried to flash my bios with a modded version using AI SUITE II my Logo, it doesn't flash it. So.. I tried another option which was use the manual bios flash back located on the back of my system. I had no luck with that as well. So best bet is if you have a z97 motherboard with these problems, just get a real mac and install Big Sur on there and put it back in your system.

Same trouble with an Asus H97-Plus: installation hanged after a few minutes, with apfs-related verbose output and then a kernel panic.

Had to roll back the BIOS to a 2014 version (2306.CAP specifically).

My sense is that: native NVRAM is REQUIRED for Big Sur installation (not subsequent use, hence the disk-transplantation procedure to a real Mac).

It seems that most Z97 manufacturers updated their firmware (for some weird virus threats) at around 2015, and in the process disabled native NVRAM support.

Worth checking that, I think, as the inconvenience is rather limited - and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the result!

Same trouble with an Asus H97-Plus: installation hanged after a few minutes, with apfs-related verbose output and then a kernel panic.

Had to roll back the BIOS to a 2014 version (2306.CAP specifically).

My sense is that: native NVRAM is REQUIRED for Big Sur installation (not subsequent use, hence the disk-transplantation procedure to a real Mac).

It seems that most Z97 manufacturers updated their firmware (for some weird virus threats) at around 2015, and in the process disabled native NVRAM support.

Worth checking that, I think, as the inconvenience is rather limited - and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the result!
I couldn't bother to flash back my bios mate.. I had troubles with it anyway..Especially using a modified .cap bios firmware.. I got Big Sur running perfectly on my system now by doing the transplant method which i mentioned earlier on in this post. Cheers mate.

UPDATE

I finally made it to Big Sur after more than 30 hours of bathing in blood and sweat fiddling around to achieve it.

1. What I thought to be "installer crashing" at 12 minutes mark turns to be a non issue. I found this out when I was about to give up and decided to go back to Catalina. While I was trying to install Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.3 (the same one I used to install Big Sur), I had the same issue. However, in Catalina, the 2nd reboot succeeded and the installer continued its progress. There's a few reboot after that but that's normal since the progress bar keeps going to its end. This made me realized that the problem with Big Sur is exactly at when it tries to reboot the installer for the first time.

2. After Catalina got installed, I try to do a direct upgrade to Big Sur from within Catalina. The installation went well since its not crashing (or so I thought). But when it tries to go for its first reboot to finish the installation, the same thing happen - I got into a boot loop of misery.

3. Luckily, I have a real Macbook Pro (mid 2014). I grabbed my external HDD enclosure, connect my SSD to it and start installing Big Sur to my SSD (which is now connected externally via that HDD enclosure) by clicking on the downloaded Install macOS Big Sur.app. The installation went fine. It even survive the reboots.

4. After installation finished, I booted the external SSD using my Macbook Pro and continue creating user account. I didn't login my iCloud yet at this point though.

5. After logging in to the desktop, I mount the EFI partition and copy my EFI folder that I used to install Catalina previously. Then, I shut it down and detach the SDD from my external enclosure. Then, I connect back my SSD via SATA to my PC.

6. Boom! Big Sur booted successfully.

View attachment 496047

What works:
1. Everything including iCloud drive sync, audio, sleep, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, airdrop etc. excluding:

What does not work:
1. DRM works partially. VDA decoder works but Netflix won't allow me to watch the movie. The short trailer works though. I don't really care about this as I usually watch Netflix using a custom extension made for Microsoft Edge (to get 1080p).
2. Emulated NVRAM. Since this doesn't affect anything like iMessage etc., I also don't care about this.

Using this method might not be the best experience. I might have to reattach my SSD back to my Macbook externally to apply any macOS update in the future if there's any . But while quite cumbersome, it's manageable. Hope OpenCore will fix this before the next macOS update.

EFI folder that I used attached below.
I tried the external method from my real Macbook Pro. The Big Sur Installer complains that there's some firmware partition missing from the target drive.

My real Mac is an M1. I don't know if that's anything to do with it.

I tried the external method from my real Macbook Pro. The Big Sur Installer complains that there's some firmware partition missing from the target drive.

My real Mac is an M1. I don't know if that's anything to do with it.

Confirmed that this is an issue with M1 Macs and formatting and/or installing to Mac OS on external drives over USB.

So I dug my 2014 Intel Macbook Pro out of the drawer and did it on that. It worked first time! I even set up an account on it.

I then plugged the drive back into the host PC, and Big Sur booted first time (via the USB stick) there too. All I then needed to do was copy the EFI folder from the EFI partition on the USB stick to the EFI partition on the newly installed Big Sur drive and I was home!

Very happy. Thank you so much for this tip. I honestly didn't even know that you could install MacOS to external drives in this way. It should really be stressed more on the Dortiana guides; do they mention it at all, in fact? It's a real short cut.

UPDATE

I finally made it to Big Sur after more than 30 hours of bathing in blood and sweat fiddling around to achieve it.

1. What I thought to be "installer crashing" at 12 minutes mark turns to be a non issue. I found this out when I was about to give up and decided to go back to Catalina. While I was trying to install Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.3 (the same one I used to install Big Sur), I had the same issue. However, in Catalina, the 2nd reboot succeeded and the installer continued its progress. There's a few reboot after that but that's normal since the progress bar keeps going to its end. This made me realized that the problem with Big Sur is exactly at when it tries to reboot the installer for the first time.

2. After Catalina got installed, I try to do a direct upgrade to Big Sur from within Catalina. The installation went well since its not crashing (or so I thought). But when it tries to go for its first reboot to finish the installation, the same thing happen - I got into a boot loop of misery.

3. Luckily, I have a real Macbook Pro (mid 2014). I grabbed my external HDD enclosure, connect my SSD to it and start installing Big Sur to my SSD (which is now connected externally via that HDD enclosure) by clicking on the downloaded Install macOS Big Sur.app. The installation went fine. It even survive the reboots.

4. After installation finished, I booted the external SSD using my Macbook Pro and continue creating user account. I didn't login my iCloud yet at this point though.

5. After logging in to the desktop, I mount the EFI partition and copy my EFI folder that I used to install Catalina previously. Then, I shut it down and detach the SDD from my external enclosure. Then, I connect back my SSD via SATA to my PC.

6. Boom! Big Sur booted successfully.

View attachment 496047

What works:
1. Everything including iCloud drive sync, audio, sleep, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, airdrop etc. excluding:

What does not work:
1. DRM works partially. VDA decoder works but Netflix won't allow me to watch the movie. The short trailer works though. I don't really care about this as I usually watch Netflix using a custom extension made for Microsoft Edge (to get 1080p).
2. Emulated NVRAM. Since this doesn't affect anything like iMessage etc., I also don't care about this.

Using this method might not be the best experience. I might have to reattach my SSD back to my Macbook externally to apply any macOS update in the future if there's any . But while quite cumbersome, it's manageable. Hope OpenCore will fix this before the next macOS update.

EFI folder that I used attached below.
After many unsuccessful tries using different OC releases to work with Big Sur on my X79, I dusted off the old macpro and took a hard look at what Biborn had done. AND IT WORKED!!!!

I updated the macpro from Mojave, to Catalina and then to Big Sur using an external drive. Then plugged the external drive into my x79 hack pro... and low and behold... She is running Big Sur!

Background... The x79 hack pro had been running Mojave flawlessly. She was upgraded through the official apple updates to Catalina. She wouldn't update (again through the official apple updates) to Big Sur no matter what I threw at her. But what Bitborn wrote in this forum worked like a charm!!! Fully functional (save for wi-fi which I don't use since my machine is plugged in via ethernet), speedy and quite honestly amazing.

One tiny issue (and Biborn please chime in) is that she only boots off of the external drive that I used with the macbook to get Big Sur. I cloned the external drive (several times to make sure I didn't do anything wrong) to an NVME drive, and even added the EFI from my Catalina Boot Drive. Nothing I have done will make the cloned NVME show up in Open Core Boot Loader. The drive literally doesn't show up.

We have Big Sur running properly on the old x79, but just can't get the external drives clone to boot. Any suggestions?

After many unsuccessful tries using different OC releases to work with Big Sur on my X79, I dusted off the old macpro and took a hard look at what Biborn had done. AND IT WORKED!!!!

I updated the macpro from Mojave, to Catalina and then to Big Sur using an external drive. Then plugged the external drive into my x79 hack pro... and low and behold... She is running Big Sur!

Background... The x79 hack pro had been running Mojave flawlessly. She was upgraded through the official apple updates to Catalina. She wouldn't update (again through the official apple updates) to Big Sur no matter what I threw at her. But what Bitborn wrote in this forum worked like a charm!!! Fully functional (save for wi-fi which I don't use since my machine is plugged in via ethernet), speedy and quite honestly amazing.

One tiny issue (and Biborn please chime in) is that she only boots off of the external drive that I used with the macbook to get Big Sur. I cloned the external drive (several times to make sure I didn't do anything wrong) to an NVME drive, and even added the EFI from my Catalina Boot Drive. Nothing I have done will make the cloned NVME show up in Open Core Boot Loader. The drive literally doesn't show up.

We have Big Sur running properly on the old x79, but just can't get the external drives clone to boot. Any suggestions?
So, your issue is not being able to boot from an NVME drive? Have you tried this:
1. Use NVMEFix.kext OR
2. NvmExpressDxe.efi

I've no NVME drive so I wouldn't know any better. LOL

Congrats on your X79 successful bootup. It's not easy to get a hackintosh working.

Okay now to the nitty gritty.

Afaik there's quite a bit of a problem when cloning Big Sur. It is a known issue that you cannot properly get a complete backup of Big Sur using the traditional cloning method because Apple had changed the way the data is saved since Sierra ie. containers.

There have been updates made recently by Carbon Copy Cloner that said it was supposedly possible to make a clone of a drive, but it only copies the Data portion of the drive. > https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/frequently-asked-questions-about-ccc-and-macos-11. The best way to get a working system is to install the OS and then migrate the data from the old drive. So you'll need to look at perhaps booting from your working copy, wiping your current NVMe copy, and try to re-install onto the NVMe and then migrate data from the working external drive instead.

Aside from this, to get OC to see the drive at boot, you need to make sure the drive is properly formatted using GUID partition, and using APFS (since it is the only format Big Sur now recognises). That's because only on systems with a fully populated and correctly marked Container logical & EFI partitions will the system boot.

Afaik there's quite a bit of a problem when cloning Big Sur. It is a known issue that you cannot properly get a complete backup of Big Sur using the traditional cloning method because Apple had changed the way the data is saved since Sierra ie. containers.

The CCC complete clone via the APFS replicator option (CCC calls it something like Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant) works fine at least up through macOS 11.5.2 and prolly for 11.6, though I personally haven't tested 11.6

Using APFS replicator requires erasing the target drive, so a full backup is required.

CCC makes it easy to run the APFS replicator, but CCC makes a point to note that it's an Apple built-in with no promise by Apple to keep it working. (But Apple promises nothing anyway.)

There is a very grave concern that if there are any read errors on the source, APFS replicator fails with no explanation and the clone is useless. — This is just a fact of life using the replicator.

Unlike using the Apple APFS replicator option, CCC's built-copier is resilient to errors, keeps running, and notes affected files in the task log. But it can't handle the signed system volume (SSV) due to the crypto that ensures it isn't tampered with.

So yes, you can get a complete system clone using CCC, assuming the source drive is healthy.

The problems with CCC backups based on SSV pertain to making incremental clones: due to the crypto, only the Data volume can be incrementally copied.

This restriction is ok as long as the SSV isn't updated.

The problem attends when Apple code in the Data volume, including apps such as Safari, and support libraries of any kind which depend on a certain rev of the system volume, get updated but the system volume does not, or vice-versa.

There's no simple way to handle this that fits well with the overall Apple update capability and CCC's idea of tasks.

The workaround is to completely disable automatic updates, then arrange updates to include a subsequent full APFS replicator backup. As this will erase the target, the user should have two backup drives and alternate between them to avoid a gap in backup coverage, especially because the time you're most likely to encounter source drive errors is precisely during the APFS replication, which leaves arbitrarily incomplete and essentially unusable backup data upon failure.

Bombich recommends just making Data volume backups and doing Apple SW restore plus Migration Assistant to recover, but this also doesn't quite address any mismatch between the OS rev of the backup and the restore either. Consider how iOS requires a equal-to or newer install to restore from a iTunes backup, which leads to problem of you can't recover using an older device which doesn't support newer iOS.

The combinatorials get especially on macOS because of 3rd party App dependencies.

Due to the inability of CCC to keep incrementals tracking the OS for easy recovery, the primary selling point of CCC bit the dust with the SSV. No doubt this has been incredibly aggravating for Bombich+Users.

However, the old approach can still work with appropriate care, and a clever user can fudge a complete recovery out of mismatched SSV and data. The trick is there are pitfalls that may test the resolve of even the experienced mac admin.

The way to make sense of it is as follows:

• Get OS + Apps to desired rev
• Completely disable auto SW updates of OS and Apps
• Make a full clone with APFS replicator
• Run incrementals as you like with the proviso of no-Apple-SW-updates allowed and limited 3rd-party App updates allowed between incrementals (know your apps!)
• Schedule the job of any Apple update to include an immediate subsequent system full clone and verify you can start from new backup
• Use two backup drives and alternate between them for the full clones

And don't forget to watch our for any of the myriad other ways that backups can go wrong!

HTH, I am using this method and I have recovered from a couple of NVMe drive failures by booting via OC to backups made as described above on both NVMe and SATA drives.

This said, and to repeat: There are still ways for things to go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back