Contribute
Register

Big Sur Installation Crash at 12 Minutes Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar event. The installer seemed to crash during BS install. I restarted it, and it seemed to get to the end. Now when I boot I have to boot into the preboot volume every time - booting into the regular install volume leads to an immediate crash. But using the prebooter works reliably. I don't know why. Happy to hear a suggestion, but I am working in BS as we speak.

I should note I am using clover 5126 with the recommended quirks from the original postings.

Interesting finding. The idea to remove the GPU never cross my mind since I expect my RX580 to work natively in macOS. Maybe I will try this method in the future should there be any macOS update which will require me to reboot the computer. Anyway, is there any particular error message that lead you to believe that your GPU is the culprit?
Well, I use a basic SSDT to set up the RX 5500XT to make the card - from OS perspective - looking like a card macOS could expect. I think I read something, that Big Sur has some changes regarding Framebuffer. The SSDT sets "Python" as FB.
The crashes I saw, I assumed that they were on GUI level and not OS level, which then brought me to Framebuffer and then to GPU. But I had no substantial evidence on that. Only feeling. But it helped to get BS installed.

I'm having the same issue - Restarts at 12 minutes remaining, then doesn't make any progress.

Using Z390 Aorus Ultra - i9900k - 5700xt

I tried installing using iGPU only but got denied symbol trying to boot into the installer.

EDIT - I managed to get a fresh install using the EFI and information from this thread - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...on-z390-aorus-elite-board.306236/post-2194863

Also switched out the 5700XT for an RX 580 which might have helped.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I finally made it to Big Sur after more than 30 hours of bathing in blood and sweat fiddling around to achieve it.

1. What I thought to be "installer crashing" at 12 minutes mark turns to be a non issue. I found this out when I was about to give up and decided to go back to Catalina. While I was trying to install Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.3 (the same one I used to install Big Sur), I had the same issue. However, in Catalina, the 2nd reboot succeeded and the installer continued its progress. There's a few reboot after that but that's normal since the progress bar keeps going to its end. This made me realized that the problem with Big Sur is exactly at when it tries to reboot the installer for the first time.

2. After Catalina got installed, I try to do a direct upgrade to Big Sur from within Catalina. The installation went well since its not crashing (or so I thought). But when it tries to go for its first reboot to finish the installation, the same thing happen - I got into a boot loop of misery.

3. Luckily, I have a real Macbook Pro (mid 2014). I grabbed my external HDD enclosure, connect my SSD to it and start installing Big Sur to my SSD (which is now connected externally via that HDD enclosure) by clicking on the downloaded Install macOS Big Sur.app. The installation went fine. It even survive the reboots.

4. After installation finished, I booted the external SSD using my Macbook Pro and continue creating user account. I didn't login my iCloud yet at this point though.

5. After logging in to the desktop, I mount the EFI partition and copy my EFI folder that I used to install Catalina previously. Then, I shut it down and detach the SDD from my external enclosure. Then, I connect back my SSD via SATA to my PC.

6. Boom! Big Sur booted successfully.

View attachment 496047

What works:
1. Everything including iCloud drive sync, audio, sleep, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, airdrop etc. excluding:

What does not work:
1. DRM works partially. VDA decoder works but Netflix won't allow me to watch the movie. The short trailer works though. I don't really care about this as I usually watch Netflix using a custom extension made for Microsoft Edge (to get 1080p).
2. Emulated NVRAM. Since this doesn't affect anything like iMessage etc., I also don't care about this.

Using this method might not be the best experience. I might have to reattach my SSD back to my Macbook externally to apply any macOS update in the future if there's any . But while quite cumbersome, it's manageable. Hope OpenCore will fix this before the next macOS update.

EFI folder that I used attached below.
i tried the same way you did and boot successfully
Thanx in advance

Hi there.

I am trying to install macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (non-beta) using OpenCore 0.6.3 but keeps failing. Booting the USB installation went fine but after started installing it, at exactly "12 minutes remaining" mark, the installation reboot the computer unexpectedly. The only line that I can see is something along "SIGKILL sent by diskarbitration".

Here's my PC specifications:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580
Samsung 860 EVO SSD

I also attached my EFI below. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Same issue here. I’ll try some of the suggestions in this thread.

UPDATE

I finally made it to Big Sur after more than 30 hours of bathing in blood and sweat fiddling around to achieve it.

1. What I thought to be "installer crashing" at 12 minutes mark turns to be a non issue. I found this out when I was about to give up and decided to go back to Catalina. While I was trying to install Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.3 (the same one I used to install Big Sur), I had the same issue. However, in Catalina, the 2nd reboot succeeded and the installer continued its progress. There's a few reboot after that but that's normal since the progress bar keeps going to its end. This made me realized that the problem with Big Sur is exactly at when it tries to reboot the installer for the first time.

2. After Catalina got installed, I try to do a direct upgrade to Big Sur from within Catalina. The installation went well since its not crashing (or so I thought). But when it tries to go for its first reboot to finish the installation, the same thing happen - I got into a boot loop of misery.

3. Luckily, I have a real Macbook Pro (mid 2014). I grabbed my external HDD enclosure, connect my SSD to it and start installing Big Sur to my SSD (which is now connected externally via that HDD enclosure) by clicking on the downloaded Install macOS Big Sur.app. The installation went fine. It even survive the reboots.

4. After installation finished, I booted the external SSD using my Macbook Pro and continue creating user account. I didn't login my iCloud yet at this point though.

5. After logging in to the desktop, I mount the EFI partition and copy my EFI folder that I used to install Catalina previously. Then, I shut it down and detach the SDD from my external enclosure. Then, I connect back my SSD via SATA to my PC.

View attachment 496047

What works:
1. Everything including iCloud drive sync, audio, sleep, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, airdrop etc. excluding:

What does not work:
1. DRM works partially. VDA decoder works but Netflix won't allow me to watch the movie. The short trailer works though. I don't really care about this as I usually watch Netflix using a custom extension made for Microsoft Edge (to get 1080p).
2. Emulated NVRAM. Since this doesn't affect anything like iMessage etc., I also don't care about this.

Using this method might not be the best experience. I might have to reattach my SSD back to my Macbook externally to apply any macOS update in the future if there's any . But while quite cumbersome, it's manageable. Hope OpenCore will fix this before the next macOS update.

Great workaround. Let’s hope the reboot culprit doesn’t come back when Big Sur updates start coming available. I think I will try your workaround. I have a z97 board with the same cpu as you.

UPDATE

View attachment 496047

What works:

What does not work:

Thanks man; followed your example and got Big Sur up and running.
Captura de Pantalla 2020-11-17 a la(s) 23.22.47.png

Interesting finding. The idea to remove the GPU never cross my mind since I expect my RX580 to work natively in macOS. Maybe I will try this method in the future should there be any macOS update which will require me to reboot the computer. Anyway, is there any particular error message that lead you to believe that your GPU is the culprit?
I've tried this by removing my rx 580.. Same problem.

Finally upgraded to Big Sur... I had to update my BIOS so I could disable CFG lock... Did the trick, you can also apply patches that achieve a similar result.

Finally upgraded to Big Sur... I had to update my BIOS so I could disable CFG lock... Did the trick, you can also apply patches that achieve a similar result.
i checked my bios earlier on.. CFG lock been disabled for me.. I plan to just get a mac book and install big sur on my ssd then put it back in my system to boot in oc. I think that will only be the working solution in my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back