i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there.

I am trying to install macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (non-beta) using OpenCore 0.6.3 but keeps failing. Booting the USB installation went fine but after started installing it, at exactly "12 minutes remaining" mark, the installation reboot the computer unexpectedly. The only line that I can see is something along "SIGKILL sent by diskarbitration".

Here's my PC specifications:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580
Samsung 860 EVO SSD

I also attached my EFI below. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
Despite lacking alcid= (unrelated to your current issue), nothing is wrong with your config.plist.

Have you tried more times?

Having the same issue here. I've tried and referenced the Open Core guide many times to see if I missed anything.

i7-8700k
Z370
HP EX950
Nitro+ 5700xt

Having the same issue here

i5-4690k
asus h97 pulse i
intel hd 4600
Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Same issue here, running oc 0.6.3..

UPDATE

I finally made it to Big Sur after more than 30 hours of bathing in blood and sweat fiddling around to achieve it.

1. What I thought to be "installer crashing" at 12 minutes mark turns to be a non issue. I found this out when I was about to give up and decided to go back to Catalina. While I was trying to install Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.3 (the same one I used to install Big Sur), I had the same issue. However, in Catalina, the 2nd reboot succeeded and the installer continued its progress. There's a few reboot after that but that's normal since the progress bar keeps going to its end. This made me realized that the problem with Big Sur is exactly at when it tries to reboot the installer for the first time.

2. After Catalina got installed, I try to do a direct upgrade to Big Sur from within Catalina. The installation went well since its not crashing (or so I thought). But when it tries to go for its first reboot to finish the installation, the same thing happen - I got into a boot loop of misery.

3. Luckily, I have a real Macbook Pro (mid 2014). I grabbed my external HDD enclosure, connect my SSD to it and start installing Big Sur to my SSD (which is now connected externally via that HDD enclosure) by clicking on the downloaded Install macOS Big Sur.app. The installation went fine. It even survive the reboots.

4. After installation finished, I booted the external SSD using my Macbook Pro and continue creating user account. I didn't login my iCloud yet at this point though.

5. After logging in to the desktop, I mount the EFI partition and copy my EFI folder that I used to install Catalina previously. Then, I shut it down and detach the SDD from my external enclosure. Then, I connect back my SSD via SATA to my PC.

6. Boom! Big Sur booted successfully.

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 2.14.06 PM.png

What works:
1. Everything including iCloud drive sync, audio, sleep, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, airdrop etc. excluding:

What does not work:
1. DRM works partially. VDA decoder works but Netflix won't allow me to watch the movie. The short trailer works though. I don't really care about this as I usually watch Netflix using a custom extension made for Microsoft Edge (to get 1080p).
2. Emulated NVRAM. Since this doesn't affect anything like iMessage etc., I also don't care about this.

Using this method might not be the best experience. I might have to reattach my SSD back to my Macbook externally to apply any macOS update in the future if there's any . But while quite cumbersome, it's manageable. Hope OpenCore will fix this before the next macOS update.

EFI folder that I used attached below.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 424
hi, i have the same problem as Biborn but the solution remains a mystery after its 12 minutes.
What is missing in clover or opencore for a new Big sur installation?
Please help

Despite lacking alcid= (unrelated to your current issue), nothing is wrong with your config.plist.

Have you tried more times?
Yeah I put back the alcid to make my audio works.

I had a smilar problem. Start point: OC 0.6.3, latest Catalina. In the 1st Phase of installation, suddenly the desktop crashed and went back to login screen. This was reproducible every time, I started the Big Sur installation.
I decided to remove my 5500XT Card temporarily and switched temporarily back to Onboard GPU. Then, the installer did not crash and the installation went smooth.
After installation, I added the 5500XT Card again. No problems so far.

GB B360M-D3H; i5-8400; 16GB; RX 5500 XT;

I had a smilar problem. Start point: OC 0.6.3, latest Catalina. In the 1st Phase of installation, suddenly the desktop crashed and went back to login screen. This was reproducible every time, I started the Big Sur installation.
I decided to remove my 5500XT Card temporarily and switched temporarily back to Onboard GPU. Then, the installer did not crash and the installation went smooth.
After installation, I added the 5500XT Card again. No problems so far.

GB B360M-D3H; i5-8400; 16GB; RX 5500 XT;
Interesting finding. The idea to remove the GPU never cross my mind since I expect my RX580 to work natively in macOS. Maybe I will try this method in the future should there be any macOS update which will require me to reboot the computer. Anyway, is there any particular error message that lead you to believe that your GPU is the culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back