3.41 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I've run the installation for Big Sur several times now after the installer requests a restart. I'm wondering if the installation is really continuing or if it is starting from the beginning again?

I am upgrading from Sierra and I have Clover Bootloader installed. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,
I've run the installation for Big Sur several times now after the installer requests a restart. I'm wondering if the installation is really continuing or if it is starting from the beginning again?

I am upgrading from Sierra and I have Clover Bootloader installed. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
You are trying to upgrade from Sierra? I take this to mean that you attempted to run the Big Sur installer from inside Sierra, correct?

If so I don't think it will work in your case. The version of Clover on your machine is mostly likely an older version which does not support booting Big Sur.

I strongly recommend you make a USB installer of Big Sur using OpenCore (or Clover 5124 and later) as bootloader, and that you install Big Sur fresh on a second disk. Disconnect and/or remove the Sierra disk and keep that so that in case of failure you can fall back to Sierra and work from there again.

JamesBond007,
Thank you for getting back to me! You have assessed exactly what I am trying to do! Since you responded I was able to upgrade my boot loaded to Clover 5123 on my rig.

The thumb drive I currently have is set up with Unibeast to load Sierra with Clover 4045. I will update it, as you suggest to use Clover 5130 and Big Sur. My plan is to first see if I can get the computer to boot and get to the installer. If that works, I will reformat an additional SSD that I have and install Big Sur on it. As suggested, that will leave me a fall-back!

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back