Contribute
Register

Big Sur install guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed the RX 5700 XT and tried starting the machine without a GPU installed. The machine would not boot up, gave 5 beeps. I installed the GTX 1080 Ti, and the result is the same, Apple logo displays with progress bar, then it restarts. The Catalina installer never loads.

I set the BIOS to use the integrated GPU, removed the 1080 so no GPUs were installed. The machine did start up, however the result is the same. The Catalina installer never shows up, Apple logo shows with progress bar, then the machine restarts.

I tried with the GPU installed and removed all Boot Args except for agdpmod=pikera. That had the same result, Catalina doesn't load.

I tried with the GPU uninstalled and with Boot Args: dart=0 nv_disable=1 agdpmod=pikera. This time the Apple logo showed and the progress bar seem to get stuck half way, the machine did not restart. So I decided to restart it and try again in verbose mode. With verbose mode on, Catalina never loaded and the machine restarted.

Does starting in verbose mode ignore the Boot Args?

I tried again with the GPU not installed and with Boot Args: dart=0 nv_disable=1 agdpmod=pikera and verbose off, this time the machine restarted and never loaded the Catalina installer.

And then I tried again with the GPU not installed and with Boot Args: dart=0 nv_disable=1 agdpmod=pikera and verbose off... this time the Apple logo showed and the progress stopped about just under %50... I'm going to wait and see what happens, but as I'm writing this it has already been about 3 minutes and the bar has not moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back