Contribute
Register

Big Sur Early Adapter > Don’t Rush in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have little technical knowledge, if any, and nevertheless managed to install Big Sur using Opencore, I personally thinks it's non-trivial, but using the guide and actually sticking to it works really well. Just follow the steps, everything is explained in detail, it's very much like following a recipe.

I was just wondering what's next, considering hackintoshing is apparently nearing an end. There might be a couple more OSs ahead for us to hack, but probably no more than two. Then what, stick to WIN/Linux ??

I really hate the fact that Apple is watching everything I do, I'm actually having second thoughts about buying a new Apple Silicon MBP. I just installed Ubuntu on my 2012 MBP and it runs quite well, and is not running the fans like mad compared to what it was doing with Catalina. Maybe I'll stick to "Old Tech" for a while, and see how the privacy thing sorts out. Same with my iPhone, a 6S, works fine, has all I need, no need for a change.

I wonder if there'll be a way to stop the spying/snitching. I'm pretty sure Apple is aware we all have hackintoshes by now running Big Sur.
I run an Unraid server for Plex and a Win10 VM for games. When hackintosh is over, I probably would start to use Linux on my main machine and run the last possible MacOs over VM on the Unraid server just to minor things.

Just like the Hackintosh era is likely coming to an end so is my term as an Earther as I am now in my twilight years, obviously I would like to go on for as long as possible, the same hope I have for Hacks but as they say, 'Where there is a beginning there is an end' so I intend to enjoy both to the fullest for as long as possible. :headbang:
Hope I haven't depressed any other Hackintosh old fogey out there. :lol:

If you treat the PC as like a standalone thing, then sure Linux is logical, so you get the Unix shell and all.

But the main thing is the Apple ecosystem integration, you'll lose all that no matter where you go.

I predict there will be quite an amount of Hackintoshers getting real Macs down the road.
I guess that is probably the most rational thing, going to apple hardware, to retain the integration and all the apps. Actually would hate to lose my setup and apps.

I am already on Linux. the only reason I'm still tinkering with this stuff is that I like doing it. Also I could buy a house if I could have back all the money I've given to Apple over the years. Same with Win . I paid for the license and now it would be a waste to not use it. My daily driver is a 2009 Macbook pro with Arch linux and DWM. Which I love more than anything. IMHO when it comes to AMD and Intel Win and MacOS are 5 years behind Linux. And I think in the very near future they (Arch,Debian,RedHat) will take the lead in ARM CPU's for Desktop as well.
I have to say though .. The latest design of the MacOS (Big Sur) is gorgeous, and now the prices for Apple hardware are fair and reasonable. At least not as crazy as 5 or ten years ago. Big Sur is truly a very good looking OS. It's really beautiful to look at. I think that for the first time since he took over , TC is really doing a great job with Apple. After ten years of Phones and tablets he really invested in the laptop. Which is pretty cool. If I had and extra $1K, I would buy a Silicon Laptop tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back