Contribute
Register

Big Sur...BIG Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have not got any SS0* ports listed as USB3.0

best to read up on:
I mean type C Device I have but currently it is not connected hence it is not showing,its my san-disk dual 3.0 type c Drive

I mean type C Device I have but currently it is not connected hence it is not showing,its my san-disk dual 3.0 type c Drive
I am referring to your USB3.0 ports

they are normally paired, so if you have HS01 set as USB3.0 then you should also have SS01 set as USB3.0 as well etc...

See my HS01 and HS02 is located at the back side and that is USB 3.1 gen 2 ports. currently my USB keyboard and mouse is connected to that. They are usb 3.1 gen 2 ports but i will only connect USB keyboard and mouse to that so speed doesn't matter to me.
SS03 is type C port at 5 Gb/s that is working as expected. HS 10,HS 09 are front USB 2.0 Devices and HS04 is Front USB 3 device. HS10,HS09,HS04 are connected to Motherboard front header.
So currently all the ports are working fine as per my understandings,so still any modification need to be done.

See my HS01 and HS02 is located at the back side and that is USB 3.1 gen 2 ports. currently my USB keyboard and mouse is connected to that. They are usb 3.1 gen 2 ports but i will only connect USB keyboard and mouse to that so speed doesn't matter to me.
SS03 is type C port at 5 Gb/s that is working as expected. HS 10,HS 09 are front USB 2.0 Devices and HS04 is Front USB 3 device. HS10,HS09,HS04 are connected to Motherboard front header.
So currently all the ports are working fine as per my understandings,so still any modification need to be done.
so why have you listed HS ports as USB3 if they are USB2?

if hS04 is a usb3 then SS04 should be set to USB3

so why have you listed HS ports as USB3 if they are USB2?

if hS04 is a usb3 then SS04 should be set to USB3
I have Use USBMAP-Master Utility to map my ports,and I didn't find option to set port Speed.so do i need to remap using hackintool?
and what need to be done when same ports shows different speed on different devices,i mean when i connect USB 3 devices on HS 01 and HS02 it shows as SS*,so if i keep SS then will my keyboard gets detected on the same port.

I have Use USBMAP-Master Utility to map my ports,and I didn't find option to set port Speed.so do i need to remap using hackintool?
and what need to be done when same ports shows different speed on different devices,i mean when i connect USB 3 devices on HS 01 and HS02 it shows as SS*,so if i keep SS then will my keyboard gets detected on the same port.
I have not used USBMAP-Master Utility

Yes, test all ports with a usb2 and a usb3 device, use the drop down option in hackintool to change the port type if needed and then export

best to do this is Catalina as XhciPortLimit is broken in Big Sur

NO sir,
I have not used USBMAP-Master Utility

Yes, test all ports with a usb2 and a usb3 device, use the drop down option in hackintool to change the port type if needed and then export

best to do this is Catalina as XhciPortLimit is broken in Big Sur
No sir...what should i do if same port carry different list..for example HS01 and HS02 are Usb 3.1 .so if i connect usb 3 device then SS highlighted and if i connect USB 2 device HS gets highlighted,so if i save port list by HS will SS device gets recognised,because kext doesn't know SS device on same HS Port

NO sir,

No sir...what should i do if same port carry different list..for example HS01 and HS02 are Usb 3.1 .so if i connect usb 3 device then SS highlighted and if i connect USB 2 device HS gets highlighted,so if i save port list by HS will SS device gets recognised,because kext doesn't know SS device on same HS Port
which is why you need to use Catalina and enable XhciPortLimit and probably use USBInjectAll.kext (remove your current usb port kext) and go through the guide I linked you

You can open a kext with right click the kext, than show folder (I don’t know the translation in English)
There is a .plis file that you can open with propertree or xcode.

Than you go to the line xhc-imac (number of your selected smbios) and replace the number to 19,1

At the end of the list one line with smbios iMac + number again…change this to your iMac model too
That you can safe the file

Edit: maybe you can fix the blackscreen wake issue with one of the darkwake bootargs

So you have to be aware that USB2 (HS) and USB3 (SS) logical ports map onto the same physical port. I like the term "companion" which I learned from USBToolBox, for the pairs of speed personalities that match logical ports to a single physical port.

In USBmap, port speed (HS vs SS) is set automatically when (D)discovering ports, by plugging in a HS or/and a SS device. When the device is detected, it appears in the list and the personality is learned.
When a companion is detected as HS, it's name changes from UK (unknown) to "HS".
When a companion is detected as SS, the name changes to "SS"
Companions don't necessarily have the same ID in the list. So HS02 might have a companion named SS06.

As USBmap builds the list of discoverable ports, there is a hard limit of 26. So if you find a HS companion for a port, but after plugging in a SS device you can't find the SS companion, it might be because there are just too many logical ports.

[EDIT: I am myself still confused about how the 26-port ceiling relates to the overall mapping process. USBmap dummy injector tops out at 26 entries per root controller. In USBmap, these roots are objects are called "IOKitPersonalities" which belong to an "SMBIOS". I don't grok this language. However, we know the practical limit of 15 comes into play during (D)discovery as USBmap helps with this. Your goal is to get your final config down to 15 list entries per root controller, per below.]

You work around this by using the separate script USBMapInjectorEdit.command to disable list entries that you certainly will never need. When you "disable" ports with this script it updates the "dummy" Results/USMmap.kext you created when you started mapping, so after disabling, you need to re-install the kext in uou EFI and reboot to make room on the USBmap.command discovery list. If you know your HW pretty well and think it through, one creation of dummy followed by one disabling pass is enough to get everything you need.

Once you can detect devices on all the ports you need, you can use (P) edit to cut the list down to your preferred 15 ports per root controller and generate a final USMmap.kext, install, reboot and be good to go.

I'm writing all this up in a how-to but not sure when it will be done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back