Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX-580
I am unable to update apps that show they need to be updated from the app store. They start to download get to about 80% and just stop. I am running opencore 0.6.4 and have been able to get Big Sur up to 11.1.1 or whatever current is but the update process is very odd. I download installer and start it, choose the current booted disk and it goes normally until it reboots, at that point the installer partition is chosen and runs for a long time then reboots at least once or twice. At some point though it starts a reboot each time you select the installer it runs about 40% on the apple logo bar then reboots. There is no "preboot" menu item but if I choose the actual disk not installer it appears to complete the install and I get to the desktop, no matter what i have tried including formatting drive and re running installer the store downloads will not run. I have seen some google items that mentioned you must select the PREBOOT partition to complete the install and some posts that indicate they had the problem exactly like mine but chose the preboot and it completed and then the store worked. I'm frustrated and out of ideas.. Any ideas gratefully appreciated. My other machine updates normally and the store works fine using the same credentials, I am pretty sure it's the machine/preboot thing not my apple account since it works fine on the other hack. It took the Big Sur update normally and rebooted with the correct disk each time till it was updated normally.

Updating apps from the app store has issues on real macs with Big Sur too, seems the solution may be
  1. Sign out of Apple ID
  2. Close App store
  3. Open Finder app. Go menu > Go to folder...> ‘~/Library/Caches/ '
  4. Backup/delete the following directories:
    com.apple.appstore
    com.apple.appstoreagent
  5. Reboot the Mac
  6. Sign back into Apple ID
  7. Open App store and sign in
I haven't tried this myself yet.

Thanks, I tried that one earlier but had no success, I have not been able to find anyone who can tell me if they still see "preboot" or Macintosh HD in Opencore picker... I just see installer still and the internal M2 disk that the OS is installed on which does boot to the desktop. Having the installer still there makes me think that is the problem somehow.

Thanks, I tried that one earlier but had no success, I have not been able to find anyone who can tell me if they still see "preboot" or Macintosh HD in Opencore picker... I just see installer still and the internal M2 disk that the OS is installed on which does boot to the desktop. Having the installer still there makes me think that is the problem somehow.

On OpenCore, you don't have to worry about preboot. It's automatically chosen.

I have scan policy set for 0 which i thought would allow "ALL" apfs disks and partitions to show since i see recovery etc. Thanks for the feedback. Any idea why the install partition still shows ?

I have scan policy set for 0 which i thought would allow "ALL" apfs disks and partitions to show since i see recovery etc. Thanks for the feedback. Any idea why the install partition still shows ?

You shouldn't see install. If you see install, it's probably because an update didn't finish.

yes, google seems to have some evidence that until a final step completes the store does not do updates. I found a couple of apple developer threads on it i don't recall seeing preboot at all in the update process but on my other machine it reboots chooses the correct disk and completes on it's own , just don't know why this machine won't

yes, google seems to have some evidence that until a final step completes the store does not do updates. I found a couple of apple developer threads on it i don't recall seeing preboot at all in the update process but on my other machine it reboots chooses the correct disk and completes on it's own , just don't know why this machine won't

If it didn't choose the correct drive to boot from, your NVRAM may not be working right.

Thanks, i verified i can set a variable via terminal and it shows up after reboot so i believe NVRAM is ok. I will keep looking, it's going to likely be something stupid i did but as noted the other machine is good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back