Contribute
Register

Big Sur + AirPlay Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little laggy because of the lack of hardware acceleration, but thats understandable.

It still works though. Its not a massive flop.....

Ive been researching online how to try and get hardware acceleration to work, but as for Big Sur actually running on the Mac, it does work.

I run a Kingston SSD on it with no problems. Going to upgrade it to 16gb memory just after Christmas or thats the plan anyway.

there are ways to probably patch it but probably won't be perfect

best to go back to High Sierra to have everything working on it, wouldn't spend much money on it, especially a ram upgrade :)

True Pilgrim, but that three legged dog still had stuff right with it before it was swapped out.

True Pilgrim, but that three legged dog still had stuff right with it before it was swapped out.
not sure you have a leg to stand on though...... :)

Lol guys.... Excellent acronyms guys.

Shame I can't provide anything to track it down since theres just this one thing wrong with it that Ive noticed.

Without hardware graphics acceleration, I don't see how AirPlay can possibly work.

It works guys. You just miss the functionality out. I sware, Im not joking. I actually have an early 2011 Mac running Big Sur. Its just it has a few things not working right. AirPlay and hardware acceleration being a start.

It works guys. You just miss the functionality out. I sware, Im not joking. I actually have an early 2011 Mac running Big Sur. Its just it has a few things not working right. AirPlay and hardware acceleration being a start.
so the options you have are:
1) go back to high Sierra where everything works
2) stick with Big Sur with no graphics or airplay
3) purchase a newer MacBookPro

We know. But parts of the OS you are now missing do not. The guys are right. The point has been made. There are hardware reasons why things are not working.

Yes, you can replace the wifi/bt card okay (don't get a wrong one), but the hd3000 isn't anywhere near as easy. On a PC you can spoof a device ID and trick macOS by patching it in from a bootloader convincing the OS the graphics are compatible. You can NOT do this safely on a real Mac. The machine will be bricked.

Of course you are free to run a three-legged dog if you wish and well done on getting this far. But why do you need Big Sur at this point?

Edit - it took me so long to write this on my tablet that @Feartech put it much more succinctly!:D

Of course you are free to run a three-legged dog if you wish and well done on getting this far. But why do you need Big Sur at this point?
This is a classic case of FOMO or fear of missing out. Look at the shiny new Big Sur icons and wallpapers etc. Everyone wants the latest greatest right ? One solution would be to stay on High Sierra where Airplay and most everything works. Download the new BS wallpapers, even the icons on HS can be changed. Then change about this Mac to say "macOS 11.1 Big Sur." Tells the reptilian part of your brain (where the FOMO originates) that you're now on Big Sur. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back