Contribute
Register

Big Sur 11.1 DRM issue with Apple Music Videos (sound works)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z490 phantom gaming ITX/TB3
CPU
I9 10850k
Graphics
RX 5500 XT/UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I recently enabled the iGPU in BIOS and configured it as headless to use my Apple TV for screen mirroring with the following settings:

"AAPL,ig-platform-id" using 0B001204 as Device Property and "device-id" using 12040000 as Device Property. All was working and I was even able to play videos in the Music app something I had not been able to do for a while. I messed up something later on which forced me to reset BIO and reinstall Mac OS.

Now everything works except videos in the music app; video launches but only sound plays, no video when not mirroring. I can Airplay the video but when I mirror it to Apple TV, I get the following message on the Mac:"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)". Not a big loss but it bugs me because it was working before.

Looking at IOReg IGPU@2 correctly shows HD4600 with the set ID's. However looking into Hackintool's system tab I see that while the proper platform id is listed, the device ID isn't and is set as 0x04128086 with GPU name being Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller.

Could that be the issue? If so how can I fix it? I've been looking around but can't find a solution. As it was working before it could be something wrongly configured in BIOS but so far I can't identify the issue.

My system is an I7 4770k HD 4600 on an MSI Z87 Power Max with a GTX 760 2GB - iMac 15,1. I'm running latest OC+Kexts version.

Hope someone can help, thanks :)

Last edited:
You may be out of luck with this issue. I would recommend you read the new entries at the bottom of this page - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Chart.md

It confirms that a number of DRM decoders were removed from Big Sur, the legacy Nvidia decoders being among those removed by Apple.

You may need to revert to using macOS Catalina to get this functionality back with your current setup.

Thanks @Edhawk
Sadly I've not been able to get back to the state where the Music app was actually playing videos and now "Listen now" can't connect as an "error has occurred. Dunno if this has always been the case with Big Sur (it worked in Catalina)

Setting the platform ID is something new to me as I never bothered with that before getting the Apple TV but there is still I'm struggling with.

There are two ID's that can be used with Haswell CPU's when configured as headless 04001204 and 0B001204 (the one I'm using for the moment), what are the differences between the two? I've looked around but can't find the info.

Both ID's seem to be working so I was wondering which one shall I use? I'm not using device ID as I understand that the HD4600 doesn't need this.

Thanks

The 0B001204 framebuffer matches with the iMac 15,1 system. The other is the standard framebuffer for a number of other Haswell SMBIOS’s. Both will work, so using one over another is not an issue.

If you are looking to match the way your Hack works to how a real Mac works, then you should be using one of the headless framebuffers.

Hi @Edhawk,

One more thing that I would like to check.
In Hackintool, on the patch tab, GPU name is correct :
Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 13.12.57.png

However, when looking at the system tab, the IGPU name is different :
Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 13.15.14.png

Does it matter? If so, would you know how can this be changed to HD4600?

Thanks!

It isn’t wrong or incorrect. The two screenshots show the correct information for both sections.

The two entries are showing different pieces of information for a single device.
  1. The first is showing the IGPU‘s Framebuffer info.
  2. The second is showing the Device ID for the IGPU.
They are similar, but are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back