Contribute
Register

Big problem! Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i tried clearing the CMOS again and putting one ram stick in.

Unplugged the cable, put the jumper cap on for 10 min, took it of, put 1 ram stick in the first slot, plugged in the power, powered it on, and it almost immediately restarts, and then again i get nothing (no beeps no screen) I also tried some different slots, and each of the 2 rams i got, but nothing changed.

Meanwhile i read somewhere that more than 20 beeps could indicate a power supply problem, so thats the next thing im going to do.

Would the Corsair CS450M be good just to check if psu is the problem?

Damn this thing is getting on my nerves.... :problem:

thanks again for the help guys.

The norm is a min of 500w (your one is 450) but as long as you don't have an additional GPU you should be fine. Unplug the drives etc so it's just the motherboard and fans as all you're trying to prove is that the motherboard, CPU and Memory are ok and you can get the BIOS up and running.

Alright guys,

So i borrowed the 450 PSU.
Cleared CMOS, plugged the PSU in only my motherboard and cpu, and i put 1 4gig ram stick in the 1st ddr slot. Turned it on and i get a burst of rapid short beeps, continuous, then it restarts and it goes beeping again continuously. Had to hold down the power button to deactivate.

Pulled out the power cable.
Then i decided to check another ram slot, put it in the 3rd ddr slot. And also i hold the power button for 30 sec just to make sure. plugged the power back in and turned it on. I GOT INTO THE ******* BIOS!
At this point i was thinking, it had to be the power supply.

Just to make sure i plugged in my own power supply again, and it got into bios again..... im just lost now, i mean what could have caused this all ? Also i put my other ram stick in slot 1 and it also got into bios again no problem.

So now im happy that its not my motherboard or cpu or the power, but im also confused, how did this happen?? :D:crazy:

Now that i can get into bios again, should i just put in my bios settings that i had and replug my ssd and hdd or do you guys suggest a clean install ?

Sure...you may as well.

I'd be interested to understand the ram slots a bit more and what you did. When you say slot 1 do you mean DDR3_1 (i.e. the slot furthest away from the CPU)? You need to be careful with the slot numbers as they are (from the furthest from the CPU (Slot1,3,2,4). So if you have 1 ram stick it can go in either Slot1 or Slot2 (Furthest from CPU and the 2nd nearest the the CPU). If you have two sticks you always fill these first. Then Slot 3 and then 4. This is due to Dual channel capabilities.

I put 1 stick in the DDR3_3 slot, so that's the second furthest from the CPU, and then i got into bios. My system is up and running right now with 1 in the DDR3_3 slot and 1 in the DDR3_4 slot.
Before my sticks were in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 slots.

I still have 1 problem tho, at About this mac it shows Memory 8 GB 0 MHz RAM.
This started when i installed yosemite.

Seems that you have it working on the second channel, which shouldn't be an issue but it should work in 1&2. Are all the memory dims the same? If you mixed the channels with different memory it may have caused an issue.

I'm glad to hear it's all up and running now.

Not sure about it not showing the correct memory speed. I think that may have something to do with the SMBIOS but I'm guessing. It may also have something to do with the first slots being empty and SMBIOS not liking it.

If it's working...I'd be happy with my lot. (Although I would try moving the memory back into the correct slots i.e. DDR3_1 and DDR3_2.)

Yes the memory's are exactly the same.

I fixed the memory stuff by putting Maxmemdetect no in de boot plist, now it shows up as 8 gb 1600 Mhz.
But still sometimes when i start it up it seems to try and boot but then shutdown and reboots, really weird, its like it isn't getting enough power or something.

You know when you start the computer u hear like a little tik ? even before the motherboard speaker beep you hear like a quick tik, maybe thats a fans turning on, but this morning i heard 2 of those and then it started rebooting again.

I disconnected my asus usb n13 wifi adapter and my line 6 ux. audio interface and switched the power cable to directly in the wall, and now it works again.

Thanks a bunch again for all the help you guys gave me, it really helped me allot :)

HWmonitor under load. Seems normal right?

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 12.06.19.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-09 at 12.41.02.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-09 at 12.40.11.png

The problem is back.... but.

This time i start up and, everything turns on (no screen or beeps) but i immediately hear 2 clicks coming from the psu and then is restarts over and over again giving me the same 2 clicks everytime.

Normally i hear 1 click from the power supply when it starts.

Update:
Removed the SSD and HDD and case fans, cpu fan starts spinning, no beep, no screen... back to square 1 i gues....
also tried only 1 ram stick, cleared cmos, put ram in different slot, but its still the same.

Weird thing i noticed, sometimes when i power of the PSU (with the power button on the PSU) i get a short static electrical sound.

NEW THREAD: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/172994-no-startup-no-beep-no-screen.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back