Contribute
Register

Big List of Solutions for El Capitan Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to install and boot El Capitan GM candidate in a GA-P55M-UD2 system and solve the USB 2.0 ports (no USB devices recognized due to port count restrictions) and built-in sound issues with the assistance of Rehabman and Toleda. Look for the threads that I created to see the solutions. The only unresolved item is the kext support for a USB 3 PCIe expansion card using a NEC/Renesas chipset. To sort this out quickly, I already ordered a new card which is natively supported by 10.11 (Intel / FL1100 chipset) and will sell the other one.

Took a look at your threads. Doesn't look like you had the problem I was having (and FWIW my kb/m worked fine in the installer.) Perhaps Unibeast is the problem. To clarify, when you say you made an installer with a dsdt, you copied your Yosemite dsdt to /EFI/Clover/Acpi/patched, correct? Unibeast doesn't prompt you to put anything there. Perhaps I can try that. What Kexts do you have in EFI/clover/Kexts/10.11?

Edit: well, it didn't work, and entering the installer again gave me a prohibitory sign.

Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

• This seems to indicate that you're not booting to the USB successfully.
  • Unplug all devices except your keyboard, mouse, and the install USB drive and try again.
  • Try different USB ports for the USB install drive; use a USB2 port if you have one.
  • Make sure you're booting to the Clover USB or drive. Use the BIOS hotkey if needed to bring up a boot device menu and pick a specific boot device. If you have two entries for the USB drive (one legacy, one UEFI) try both. If you don't see the USB listed, check the BIOS for allowing boot UEFI devices and/or boot Legacy devices.
  • One person reported this failure when BIOS was on Legacy and UEFI boot, but with BIOS set to UEFI boot only it worked

Little bit further of an explanation:

If you get the message Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel, it could be that the system is attempting to boot El Capitan using Chimera in legacy mode from the existing drive.

Chimera doesn't support El Capitan. You must choose the USB or system drive in UEFI mode for the hard drive to get Clover to load. Set boot priority in BIOS to load UEFI system drive as first option, or set CSM in BIOS to load UEFI mode first.

sorry on final question.
I now have everything working when booted but however I am used to the system booting on its own. Now I have to select the El Capitan partition in the clover boot screen. As I am a total noob to clover can you tell me how to automate this.
I have change the time in boot from 10 to 5 to see if that make a diff but it does not.

I now have everything working when booted but however I am used to the system booting on its own. Now I have to select the El Capitan partition in the clover boot screen. As I am a total noob to clover can you tell me how to automate this.

In config.plist, set the DefaultVolume to the name you gave your El Capitan system drive, and then that will boot by default in "Timeout" seconds.

I've tried every solution mentioned and no matter what, I simply cannot even get to the Installer using Clover. My machines does not support UEFI so I've only tried the Legacy option but the best I've been able to do is get to the "Boot OSX from USB" step and it just hangs at a black screen; most of the time, I just get the black screen with the cursor in the upper right corner but it never gets any further.

I managed to get Mavericks installed on two different Dell PC's (a Vostro 200 and an Optiplex 320) but I cannot upgrade to anything newer. I've followed the steps to the letter; tried 5 different flash drives (all 16+ GB).

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but right now, I'm :banghead:. If anyone has a suggestion that hasn't already been mentioned, I'd be more than willing to try it. Nothing I've tried has worked yet

OK, I wrote a longish post about my failures over in the Install thread. BUT after a period away from the keyboard to calm down I decided to try again.

So to offer help for others on how I'm getting back to working order ...

My SSD has been upgraded over the years so I took the step after the failure of reformatting it and doing a full, fresh install using all instructions Tonymacx86 posted in the install thread and with the relevant files linked there.

On a clean SSD the installation has gone very well indeed - I'm writing this on the hack'.

Graphics is accelerated, wi-fi running well, disks showing up as they should (previously my FAT32 format external storage drive was not recognised).

Realtek ALC 892 sound wasn't working at first but I then read someone else's post (sorry I can't find it again to attribute) and found a solution. The recommended ALC*.command script refused to find the EFI mounted partition and so I couldn't use that. Instead I took the AppleHDA-892.pkg from version 7.5 of MultiBeast and ran that. Sound is back and working as it should.

Next is a play with Clover Configurator and then to see if wake-from-sleep can be tested.

So if it helps - and you can do it - a clean install has eliminated a lot of problems for me.

Onwards and upwards! :)

(PS - remember if you do decide to reformat, boot with USB if you can and DeAuthorize iTunes before you start. Otherwise you'll use up valuable authorisation count.)

Ignored? No. I haven't had any issues myself, but I don't use a 5 series motherboard anymore on a regular basis. My P55M worked fine in tests, although I use a Apple keyboard with its own USB hubs. Issue is likely USB/ACPI related- there are unresolved USB issues in El Capitan.

I remember when you released first version of UniBeast for Yosemite there was exactly same issue, later you released version with option for Legacy USB Support and it resolved the issue.

The issue now is not El Capitan specified, I tried to install Yosemite with UniBeast 6.0 and had the same issue, no input in installer.

I'm having issues with Unibeast 6.0.0. I've had no issues with unibeast ~4 with which I installed mavericks on this machine, but I have been unable using the same flash drive (after being repartitioned) or 2 others to get the installer to boot. I keep getting "boot disk not found" or whatever the exact error is from my bios, So I never even get into clover. Sadly this is an intel G33 chipset so no UEFI booting, but Ive tried setting all the other bios flags I can, and 3 different flash drives and all 6 different USB ports. I have made sure every time to use legacy mode from Unibeast 6.0. Any ideas?

This build is a Q6600 with an Apple OEM 8800 GT GPU from a Mac pro 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back