Contribute
Register

Big lie about Clover installation - how to do it properly to get Catalina working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z87M-plus
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare my current working Mojave installation for upgrading to Catalina 10.15.1.
We can assume that I have what you get from using Unibeast and Multibeast (some old Clover and kext put in /Library/Extensions on Mac OS partition - not in EFI)
What I know that we need to get Clover 5097, WEG 1.3.4 and Lilu 1.3.9.
If it comes to the WEG and Lilu, this is simple. Just download kext and put in EFI/Clover/kexts.
Delete these from /Library/Extensions and move rest of like AppleALC, FakeSMC or USBInjectAll to EFI/Clover/kexts (since Catalina is going to wipe them out).
Lets focus now on Clover and for me this is deal breaker. I was trying to use Clover Configurator and its Install/Update/Clover (there are two options package and CLOVERX64.efi only). If I use the package, then the result is that after selecting proper drivers (AptioMemoryFix, AudioDxe, SMCHelper, ApfsDriverLoader and others) you end up with not bootable version (you stop at ++++++++++++++ line). When you select CLOVERX64.efi only you get update that file, but Clover Configurator (after restarting that program) still claims that I have old Clover.
Why there is still no official Catalina helper from tonymacx? How to properly use these tools? Why Clover itself is now distributed in such wrong way (two places for download, no release history, it is not searchable by Google).
You guys really should do from time to time installations from scratch (download it starting from Google search and install it on wiped out partitions) to see how painful it is.
This is a big lie about Clover. Everyone says update to newest Clover version but there is so many things which can go wrong and it is even not about software compatibility or hardware. This is more about logistic of delivering tooling. I guess that at least 1/3 of messages/sites related to Hackintosh are more about the logistic.

Going with the classic meme "change my mind".

Attachments

• 3hwk24.jpg
    3hwk24.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot 2019-11-29 at 11.31.16.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-29 at 11.31.16.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare my current working Mojave installation for upgrading to Catalina 10.15.1.
We can assume that I have what you get from using Unibeast and Multibeast (some old Clover and kext put in /Library/Extensions on Mac OS partition - not in EFI)
What I know that we need to get Clover 5097, WEG 1.3.4 and Lilu 1.3.9.
If it comes to the WEG and Lilu, this is simple. Just download kext and put in EFI/Clover/kexts.
Delete these from /Library/Extensions and move rest of like AppleALC, FakeSMC or USBInjectAll to EFI/Clover/kexts (since Catalina is going to wipe them out).
Lets focus now on Clover and for me this is deal breaker. I was trying to use Clover Configurator and its Install/Update/Clover (there are two options package and CLOVERX64.efi only). If I use the package, then the result is that after selecting proper drivers (AptioMemoryFix, AudioDxe, SMCHelper, ApfsDriverLoader and others) you end up with not bootable version (you stop at ++++++++++++++ line). When you select CLOVERX64.efi only you get update that file, but Clover Configurator (after restarting that program) still claims that I have old Clover.
Why there is still no official Catalina helper from tonymacx? How to properly use these tools? Why Clover itself is now distributed in such wrong way (two places for download, no release history, it is not searchable by Google).
You guys really should do from time to time installations from scratch (download it starting from Google search and install it on wiped out partitions) to see how painful it is.
This is a big lie about Clover. Everyone says update to newest Clover version but there is so many things which can go wrong and it is even not about software compatibility or hardware. This is more about logistic of delivering tooling. I guess that at least 1/3 of messages/sites related to Hackintosh are more about the logistic.

Going with the classic meme "change my mind".

Hello.

Okay, I can understand your frustration with the current situation, but:

1) Clover Configurator is not written by the same people who code Clover. So if it gets things wrong, that is not Clover's fault.

2) UniBeast and MultiBeast are being prepared for Catalina, however the job is not an easy one precisely because of the issues you highlight. For now, the memory-fix driver AptioMemoryFix is currently (IMHO) the safest bet for Catalina. When deciding which to use, steer clear of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi because its author has discovered it is not safe to use. With your hardware I would expect OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to work for Mojave, but if it doesn't then more work is needed.

3) There is plenty of guidance here to help you install Catalina from scratch. Use the Catalina Beta Installation guide - it has been updated for the release version to act as a bridge until UniBeast is ready.

4) Remember to rebuild kext-caches when you remove items from Library/Extensions.

5) Finally - For reference - it should be noted that Clover is slowly being deprecated in favour of Open Core for Catalina and going forward. So some of the development has stopped. Having said that, what there is, currently, should be enough for the PC in your profile :thumbup:

If you have a spare SSD it may be less frustrating, it was for me but still not easy, to install Catalina with a fresh Clover and the kexts and then restore from Time Machine if you find Catalina works for you.

In fact you can install Catalina to a new SSD from within Mojave, using a USB adapter or SATA, and then construct your EFI partition from Mojave, what I did. A small SSD is not very expensive these days.

Basically Catalina is a "vanilla" installation. If you can get Catalina to boot then the EFI/Clover in Catalina should even boot Mojave--mine does. However I don't use Catalina even though it all works now because I still rely on a 32 bit version of Office and after struggling to get it to work found Sidecar distinctly underwhelming. Waiting for the TonyMac tools is a viable option but I suspect direct upgrading will still be difficult.

Well my problem is that I have successfully updated from Mojave to Catalina. But had some artifacts during booting coming from my RX 560 4GB. So I thought that fresh Catalina could solve the problem. What I noticed is that I was updating on not newest kexts but don't remember which. Where fresh Catalina install, I'm doing on newest stuff which is suppose to work and apparently is not. My bad that I haven't made EFI backup nor time machine copy. Also I spent 2 days to find out that HDMI on my dGPU is not working anymore (due to kexts; funny fact that these kexts with Mojave works great) and I was probably using DP during successful upgrade (but not successful for fresh install and Mojave upgrade for the second time). Dealing with EFI on pendrives is not a problem for me. I have another Catalina instance (with newer hardware) which supports me. Generally the outcome for today is that WEG 1.3.4 (newest) kext has broken port output for RX 560 4GB under Catalina (HDMI+DP+DVI). I was trying agdpmod=pikera and others but non of them works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back