Contribute
Register

Big delay during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone confirm simillar problem with first aid?
1635583875366.png

Does the 970 evo problem only occur when it is the startup disk? Does the 970 evo drive needs to be removed completely from the system to solve the boot delay.
I've swapped the disks. Windows is now on my samsung NvME, Monterey is on a Samsung SSD. No slow boot with this configuration. You don't need to remove the NvME, but to boot on a different drive.

Before updating I first test the OC0.73 to 0.74 with an USB stick. I noticed that OC0.74 still with BigSur looks like it hanging at Apple Logo. So maybe it's something with OC0.74 and up? Question to be sure, can the update be done with OC0.73 in place?

Is there a chance the issue will be fixed? I have two 1TB 970 Evo Plus drives. So long booting time is annoying. I have never done the disk speed test before, but not it is about ~1500 MB/s for writing and ~2900 MB/s for reading.. I tried to Enable/Disable Trim and Enable/Disable NVMeFix.kext. No significant difference.
The NVMeFix.kext is designed to help with apparent power management issues with NVMe drives. As I understand it, the kext is recommended for all NVMe drives, but only for that reason.

The slow boot issues are another kettle of fish. IMHO, the best that anyone facing this problem can do right now is to either keep monitoring forums for some better news, or buy another non-NVMe drive for macOS - a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, for example - and use the 970 NVMe drive for something Windows oriented.

I've seen conflicting reports about whether that NVMe drive can coexist. @Fraxinus has indicated in his post (scroll up) that it works for him, but others haven't been so lucky.

If you do buy another SSD, just remove the NVMe's first until you finish setting up macOS. Later, add one NVMe back into the mix, and see what happens. If it all works out OK, at least you'll have more storage space to play with.

Before updating I first test the OC0.73 to 0.74 with an USB stick. I noticed that OC0.74 still with BigSur looks like it hanging at Apple Logo. So maybe it's something with OC0.74 and up? Question to be sure, can the update be done with OC0.73 in place?
If I understand properly, you want to skip having to deal with OC 0.7.4 and just upgrade to Monterey using 0.7.3...

If that's the case, then it's probably not a good idea. As I understand it, Monterey requires at least OC 0.7.4 for a successful upgrade. If you can get 0.7.4 working properly on Big Sur, then the upgrade path to Monterey should be a lot smoother.

Anyone with more specific information is welcome to jump in here!

If I understand properly, you want to skip having to deal with OC 0.7.4 and just upgrade to Monterey using 0.7.3...

If that's the case, then it's probably not a good idea. As I understand it, Monterey requires at least OC 0.7.4 for a successful upgrade. If you can get 0.7.4 working properly on Big Sur, then the upgrade path to Monterey should be a lot smoother.

Anyone with more specific information is welcome to jump in here!
Thanks for your reply. I will test further with OC0.74 and only update if that runs ok with BugSur.

Thanks for your reply. I will test further with OC0.74 and only update if that runs ok with BugSur.
Also, be aware of the differences between versions of OpenCore, especially those related to the config.plist layout, ignorance of which can often be the cause of major frustration.

Replacing Samsung nvme 970 evo with wd black sn750 will the boot time go back to normal?

Replacing Samsung nvme 970 evo with wd black sn750 will the boot time go back to normal?
I use Samsung 860 EVO SSDs (not NVMe M.2) and boot times are as expected for Monterey.

The WD SN750 is also an NVMe type SSD, so without knowing of anyone having successfully used one, without the slow boot, it's hard to guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to go back to regular ssd drive so I'm looking for an nvme drive without boot issues. I read somewhere that the chip of wd sn750 is "more" compatible that's why we don't read reports for big delays from users with wd drives but I want to be 100% sure before I buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back