Contribute
Register

Big delay during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Definitely a TRIM issue related to Monterey and Evo 970 Nvme. As far as I know you never should disable TRIM, otherwise you can damage your nvme-ssd.
Where did you read that about TRIM damaging NvME Drives if disabled? You do realise that if not all, most modern drives has their own builtin garbage collection software (TRIM) in the firmware so it is hardly necessary to install a third party TRIM solution.

I have two M.2 drives in my system Monterey on one and Windows 11 on the other and as you can see both drives has TRIM activated and that is without any input or deliberation on my part.
Both drive boot times are 15 - 20 seconds to reach desktop.

Slow boot times can be attributed to other problems i.e out of date kexts etc, etc. The easiest way to determine slow boot is to invoke verbose mode and see exactly where the boot is hanging.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 9.07.31 pm.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 9.07.31 pm.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
I'm quite sure that these slow boots are connected to the nvme Samsung drives and macOS Monterey. Wondering if there's possibly a connection about formatting the drive to HFs+ instead of APFS (just for Samsung disks, as I've read here,#50).

With the same configuration did boot fast on Big Sur. On Monterey, booting suddenly takes ages.
I have different sources on this problem:

- Dortania, Samsung NvMEs not recommended
- Github, severe bug of TRIM implementation on samsung ssd (possibly NvMEs too?)
- Macrumors forum, Somebody swapped from NvME to SSD and overcame slow boots
- Tonymacx86 Forum, more or less same topic
- some thoughts about TRIM,i've read a translation...

You're right, disabling TRIM won't harm my Drive, but possibly slow it down.

I use O.C 0.7.5 and all kext updated, so no worries on this side.

Wich NvMEs do you use?

Edit: I've seen on your screenshot, that you use a Viper and a Samsung 970 Evo plus. You use the Viper for the MacOS and the Samsung for Windows, right?

Last edited:
Edit: I've seen on your screenshot, that you use a Viper and a Samsung 970 Evo plus. You use the Viper for the MacOS and the Samsung for Windows, right?
Yes but originally I had OS X on the Samsung drive as the pretty RGB lights of the Viper :lol: was hidden by the graphics card so I swopped them around. In saying that, I had no worries with slow boot when OS X was on it.

Yes but originally I had OS X on the Samsung drive as the pretty RGB lights of the Viper :lol: was hidden by the graphics card so I swopped them around. In saying that, I had no worries with slow boot when OS X was on it.
I see. Did you use the Samsung for MacOS before any Monterey beta was introduced?

just for the record, I'm another one using nvme Samsung 970 EVO and after updating to Monterey I have the same issue with slow boot. Before update everything was ok

For no good reason (I'm running Big Sur and have no such problem), I measured boot time, then added NVMefix.kext to my EFI and measured it again. In Big Sur, it added about 2 seconds to both cold boot and Restart. This was using OC 0.7.5 and Samsung 970 Pro on my computer at left. I'll hang onto this kext if/when I go to Monterey.

I can confirm same issue on mine with Samsung 960 pro 512GB boot drive.

Use HfsPlus.efi instead of OpenHfsPlus.efi. Had this problem ever since OpenHfsPlus.efi became the go-to.

For no good reason (I'm running Big Sur and have no such problem), I measured boot time, then added NVMefix.kext to my EFI and measured it again. In Big Sur, it added about 2 seconds to both cold boot and Restart. This was using OC 0.7.5 and Samsung 970 Pro on my computer at left. I'll hang onto this kext if/when I go to Monterey.
I've used NvMEfix.kext as well (MacOs 11 and MacOs 12), so this won't keep away the slow boot if you have a Samsung NvME.
Use HfsPlus.efi instead of OpenHfsPlus.efi. Had this problem ever since OpenHfsPlus.efi became the go-to.
I guess this isn't connected to this Problem. I don't use any of these kexts as my NvME is formated in APFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back