Contribute
Register

Big delay during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

Swapped drives from NvME to SSD (both Samsung), unsurprisingly the long boot time vanished with same conifg (except disabled NvMefix.kext on SSD config).

long delays can be caused by bluetooth as well. Either add BlueToolFixup (Not guaranteed to fix it btw), or disable bluetooth to see if the delay goes away in Monterey.

I've swapped the internal 250 GB SSD of my MacBook Pro 2015 with a Samsung NVME 970 Evo Pro 500GB and have the same issue. Hope a new firmware could fix this or Apple itself.

Among Open Core developers last April, around the time first Monterey betas, a bug was reported that Apple's NVMe driver exposes a problem in the way Samsung implements Trim that leads to long stalls during boot. At that time it was a noted concern this would eventually come to a head. There was uncertainty about the nature of the bug and it is still open at Dortania github. It might be that Monterey has crossed the Rubicon, so to speak. I am not connected to that scene and have no expertise in the specific bug. What got my attention was that some NVMe drives are known to croak due to the way Apple's NVMe driver exercises the controller... A problem that was wrecking my life last spring as I was putting together an z590 iMac clone. This is discussed as part of the Anti-Hackintosh Buyers Guide. The trait in common for mortal failure is Phison controller. The problem with Samsung is not known to be fatal, but causes Trim stalls. I posted the details over at General Hardware Discussion "General NVMe Problems"

I got the same problem but with a SSD SATA Sandisk, not a SAMSUNG NVMe. I takes about 2 minutes until I reach the login screen. This is the only one out of my 3 hacks that behaves like this... I never had a single problem since Sierra with it...

I've h ad the same problem Samsung ssd 970 evo m2 1tb

I can confirm 100% for sure: using Corsair MP600 as boot drive I experience no boot delays. So it seems to be Samsung firmware related or the new TRIM handling Apple is doing since Monterey.

Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb, HFSPlus.efi, bluetooth disabled. OC 0.7.4, updated to Monterey 12.0.1 this past Monday and boot time from OC picker display to appearance of Monterey desktop is now 5 minutes, 10 seconds. I do have a working Thunderbolt external HD I may try switching Monterey to and see if that improves things.

i am using Samsung 960 Evo 500GB and both OC 0.7.3 and OC 0.7.4 do the same so it is Monterey vs Samsung related or there is some new OC 0.7.4 config flag i am missing
obviously its TRIMming for 240-260 seconds as shown in the logs
1635431892502.png

also the NVMe disk performance sucks now
1635432001886.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back