Contribute
Register

Big Bertha's Big Brother:Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Dual Xeon Broadwell v4 CPU's 64GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice geekbench score! What motherboard are you using?

I'm using the new generation bother of the one seen on my AVATAR, the ASUS X99DLX2, and finally got my Nvidia GTX 980Ti working, here are the results.

CineR15-2939.png

Went with the iMac14,2 because it's one of the smBIOS settings that will allow the 660ti to boot to the desktop rather than a black screen. To get boot you only need FakeSMC.kext nothing else is needed, it's almost as if this board is made for macOS Sierra, it's spookily easy. Still fighting with power management but getting convinced it won't work with these CPU's purely because they are locked to that one speed.

Added another 16Gb RAM today and a 480Gb Kingston SSD

Martin
@TpwUK,
from what i know, -xcpm is not more implemented in sierra, have you tried without this flag in config.plist (but don't know if Clover can handle generate P/C sate for your CPU's)

@TpwUK,
from what i know, -xcpm is not more implemented in sierra, have you tried without this flag in config.plist (but don't know if Clover can handle generate P/C sate for your CPU's)
If you can get this board to function with AICPM then you won't need -xcpm, however I couldn't get either NullCPM or AICPM to work on this board without the -xcpm and a fake CPUID. It's also looking as if the core/thread count is now limited to 64 again suggesting that any new MacPro on the immediate horizon is still only going to be a single CPU. I don't know any Hackintosh computers running above 64threads so I can't be certain of that limitations accuracy.

Broardwell-E and the Haswell-E processors both support hardware based power management built on the processors themselves. My understanding of this is that the processors can relay information back to the OS regarding their status without the need of an interpretation layer, and that the power-management is now a more direct communication between the CPU and the OS to achieve the best performance per CPU core/thread to maximise efficiency, hence no need for AICPM anymore. See PikeRAlpha's blog/research here ...
https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/xcpm-for-unsupported-processor/
You will see that with Sierra the -xcpm is actually more heavily integrated into the OS and the frequency vectors than what it was before, and things are still changing/moving around with new releases of the OS, so to get a reliable power management for this motherboard is not likely to happen until a new MacPro is released with a Broadwell-E based processor.

I am no expert in this area, so I could be totally wrong :think:

Martin

Hey Martin... where did you get the 64 thread limitation from? i will have my motherboard arriving next week and already have two E5 2698 V4 20 core cpus waiting, that would result in 80 threads...

@TpwUK, first off congrats. Very impressive. I own the Z9PE-D8 and loved it, minus the qwerks. When I was first looking at this I found this business/ thread about building this computer (CiderPC.com); unfortunately they got sued by Apple and I never got a hold of them to see how they did it. Well, done.
With, that, how stable is your setup? Can you run the intessive 3D programs (minus your lesser CPU issue)?

Hey Martin... where did you get the 64 thread limitation from? i will have my motherboard arriving next week and already have two E5 2698 V4 20 core cpus waiting, that would result in 80 threads...
Wow, you've got some dough then. I wait with baited breath to see how it turns out?

@TpwUK, first off congrats. Very impressive. I own the Z9PE-D8 and loved it, minus the qwerks. When I was first looking at this I found this business/ thread about building this computer (CiderPC.com); unfortunately they got sued by Apple and I never got a hold of them to see how they did it. Well, done.
With, that, how stable is your setup? Can you run the intessive 3D programs (minus your lesser CPU issue)?
It's very stable at the moment - Just the one crash so far with Blender when doing some heavy physics with particles, no problems with KeyShot which is my most critical app

Martin

Somebody and I mean just one person who has been working with XCPM and power management on Pikers blog and he has noted the value there, so where we used to play with DSDT it now looks as if it will be set in MSR too, if I have understood his findings that is.

Too much expense for me to gamble at the moment so I have a couple of ES 16/32 chips lined up for 64 thread testing, but my domestic bills keep chewing at my cash - lol

Martin

There was a few more posts posted today on Pikers blog that have revealed that there is a max_cpu_count in the Kernel and it has been set to 0x3f or 63 decimal, so you will need to (just as will I at some stage) have to edit that value to what's needed or to what-ever number you want as long as it's at least number of threads -1

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back