Graphics
ATI 560
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Portable
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi a was experimenting With and Without DSDT and i discover that with ''NullCPUpowermanagement.kext'' All my audio Software [ LogicPro 9.13, Digital Performer 7.12, Ableton Live 8.2 , and Studio one 1.6.1 ] perform MUCH better , some experimenting songs Full of Plugins and audio tracks Can't handle if the installation has DSDT, and in another HD [same specs. / Hitachi 1tera 32 megs 7200 rpm SATA, both inside the Hackintosh ] Without DSDT with proper kexts that same songs , play perfect , no random stops and no Cpu spikes , no Warnings..... so what i did in the DSDT H.D. i add the ''NullCPUpowermanagement.kext'' , and now i have a good performance without Cpu spikes , and Warnings , BUT.... now my sleep mode is gone...... i have the latest BIOS FC and the Latest DSDT for that Bios and no Luck........ no sleep, but Killer Performance !!

ar13

You gave me great news. :) In fact my primary goal is building a custo Mac Pro for Digital Performer 6 and 7.
By the way we have the same MoBo, but different i7.
Actually I'm waiting for components arrival, my hack is still to be built :(

Anyway, I hope you'll be collaborative when I send you some questions about your build.

Thanks
Michael

I have definitely not noticed this in my own testing. I get identical performance with/without. On the other hand I don't have a DSDT and speedstep is not working for me so my processor is locked at it's max clockspeed, so possibly you were getting worse performance because of speedstep, which would explain why using the NullCPUPowermanagement kext helped.

In general audio performance is pretty poor on OSX compared to windows. With ableton live (tested this with multiple 8.x versions), I can use my focusrite saffire with a 64 sample buffer w/out audio glitches at 80+% cpu usage in Windows 7, in OSX I'm forced to increase the buffer size to 256 samples if I want things to be solid up to 80% CPU. I can set the latency lower of course, but it rapidly becomes unusable with increasing cpu usage (at 64 samples, cpu usage over 35% causes audio glitching, etc). This is an issue with real apple hardware. I've seen similar performance using mac pros, macbook pros, new imacs, etc. I've tested a ton of systems/interfaces, coreaudio is just terrible, at least with the various interfaces I've tested (which all used native coreaudio support).

You might find this interesting, it corroborates what I'm saying: http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm.

I would love to hear about performance at low latencies with high cpu usage for RME interfaces as from what I understand they don't use native coreaudio they actually have their own drivers (Apogee does this as well I think).

zeekay said:
I have definitely not noticed this in my own testing. I get identical performance with/without. ...
Thanks also to you zeekay ;)
I'm simly burning because the pieces that I've ordered on november 24 are so long to deliver.
Anyway, I'll be back when my new build is ready. :)

zeekay , dude , yes there is a BIG difference in performance , dont know why, but i have songs that are Full mega loaded with lots of plug ins and audio tracks, and with DSDT this songs CANT be played, in LogicPro 9.13 i get this Warnings all the time, and the Computer stops , in DP7.21 i get CPU spikes, but WITHOUT DSDT this same songs CAN be played with no problem at all..... strange.....

I never said YOU don't see a difference in performance. I was trying to point out a probable reason behind your performance issues/improvements. Using the NullCPUPowerManagement kext doesn't give you any inherent speed advantage, the only reason you'd see improved performance would be because it alleviates performance problems stemming from speedstep or incompatibility problems you might be having with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. If your clock speed fluctuates it can cause similar issues, so I kind of lean towards it being speedstep-related. But it could also be an issue you are having with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement compatibility or even some other issue with your DSDT/specific install/hardware.

Let's don't forget that ar13 overclocked his 930... That's why ho found useful the installation of "NullCPU powermanagement".
By the way, this is a hypothesis...

Yes, but does not matter, if i OC the cpu , i did my setups in the BIOS , like Normal=2.8Ghz , Medium =3.33Ghz , and High = 3.8Ghz , and of course in 3.8Ghz i will have more Cpu power, But the problem that i have With and Without DSDT , are in the same speed , lets say 2.8Ghz , and WITH DSDT and in Logic Pro 9 and the song is MEGA loaded, i got this warnings and the song stops, i have to start disabling off lots of plug-ins, and in DP7.2 i got lots of CPU spikes [ Only when the songs are MEGA Loaded 90 tracks and 80 HEAVY plug-ins] in real life i use around 60 tracks and 60 not that heavy plug-ins , so with or without DSDT you cant tell the difference in performance.........Whatever !

I am experiencing the same problem :

I had a poor performing RAID 0 with 4 disks as I was booting with CustomBeast or iBoot CD.

With iBoot CD it was 100MB/s more !

Now I have found the caveat : when nullCPUPowerManagement is installed, I am performing 450MB/s with my RAID 0. When I remove it, I am falling to 280MB/s. Extreme difference...

So I'm gonne stick with NullCPUPowerManagement and no sleep... I'll try to leave with that, it's a machine that is intended to be used for Photography and Video work so no need for sleep mode as of now.

Can we take a quick step back here.

AR13 - I have basically the same system as you with bios version FE and half of the ram. I'm using Corsair 6gb XMS kit that can handle XMP profiling 9-9-9-24.

Can you tell me what exact settings your using in your bios setup? Maybe start with the Optimized Defaults and tell me what you changed on each page?

Also, using Multibeast (with or without UserDSDT), what exact options do you select? Are you getting full performance by using the NULL kext and using the sleep kext?

Thanks for your help. I'm a PT user and I want to make sure my system is running optimally but with full functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back