Contribute
Register

Better results WITH ''NullCPUpowermanagement'' /Audio Progs

Status
Not open for further replies.
zeekay said:
I have definitely not noticed this in my own testing. I get identical performance with/without. On the other hand I don't have a DSDT and speedstep is not working for me so my processor is locked at it's max clockspeed, so possibly you were getting worse performance because of speedstep, which would explain why using the NullCPUPowermanagement kext helped.

In general audio performance is pretty poor on OSX compared to windows. With ableton live (tested this with multiple 8.x versions), I can use my focusrite saffire with a 64 sample buffer w/out audio glitches at 80+% cpu usage in Windows 7, in OSX I'm forced to increase the buffer size to 256 samples if I want things to be solid up to 80% CPU. I can set the latency lower of course, but it rapidly becomes unusable with increasing cpu usage (at 64 samples, cpu usage over 35% causes audio glitching, etc). This is an issue with real apple hardware. I've seen similar performance using mac pros, macbook pros, new imacs, etc. I've tested a ton of systems/interfaces, coreaudio is just terrible, at least with the various interfaces I've tested (which all used native coreaudio support).

You might find this interesting, it corroborates what I'm saying: http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm.

I would love to hear about performance at low latencies with high cpu usage for RME interfaces as from what I understand they don't use native coreaudio they actually have their own drivers (Apogee does this as well I think).
Try using the Apogee stuff!
I don't have any issues... but rethinking your way of doing music is always the issue with DAWS of any kind, PC or Mac.

zeekay said:
In general audio performance is pretty poor on OSX compared to windows. With ableton live (tested this with multiple 8.x versions), I can use my focusrite saffire with a 64 sample buffer w/out audio glitches at 80+% cpu usage in Windows 7, in OSX I'm forced to increase the buffer size to 256 samples if I want things to be solid up to 80% CPU. I can set the latency lower of course, but it rapidly becomes unusable with increasing cpu usage (at 64 samples, cpu usage over 35% causes audio glitching, etc). This is an issue with real apple hardware. I've seen similar performance using mac pros, macbook pros, new imacs, etc. I've tested a ton of systems/interfaces, coreaudio is just terrible, at least with the various interfaces I've tested (which all used native coreaudio support).

You cannot rely on Ableton's built in CPU monitor. Ableton's monitor is showing the hardest working core, not your whole systems usage.

hi
I've just install 10.6.8 snow leopard on Z68X UD3H B3 with multibeast
i5 2400 Sandy Bridge / DSDT patched for gygabyte

all works fine, but If i don't have NullCPUpowermanagement.kext in Extra folder I have black desktop !

so I'm using Logic Pro 9 and I have a problem , i dont' know if nullcpupower....san be responsable of this...or what is the mistake...
when I open EXS24 in a song in play mode if i change sounds the Logic crash afer 8 / 9 sounds changed in sequence !

any suggestions ?

about this tyopic iv'e also found this:

native power management on a Sandy Bridge platform.

General requirements for native power management:

An Intel CPU that can run the vanilla kernel
Power management features and ACPI 2.0, ACPI APIC enabled in the BIOS
Chameleon 2.1 (or derivative) with GeneratePStates=y and GenerateCStates=y set in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
"best match", complete model identifier DMI data in /Extra/smbios.plist. Use a model identifier from a Mac with the same or similar CPU microarchitecture. Use a Macbook identifer for a laptop, MacPro or iMac for a desktop. If you can find one with a similar Intel or Nvidia chipset and even on-board video, then that's a plus.
AppleLPC.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext must be loaded
Sometimes DSDT patches to USB and other devices are required for S3 sleep/wake to work properly

I will revive this thread because I experimented the same with mountain lion just now.

I used by first time "Kernel Cache" since I heard it boost the boot time, and indeed it does (with my SSD, the spinning wheel do just a half round before the system boot up), but I used to have "NullCPUPowerManagement", in the Extra folder and I noticed that using "Kernel Cache" disable any kext in the Extra/Extensions folder.

Wich "NullCPUPowerManagement" disabled I noticed and horrible drop in system overall performance, windows, effects, dragging, mission control, etc.

My normal Geekbench score is around 12,500 - 12,600. Using OSX without "NullCPUPowerManagement" I got a maximum of 6,195.

Moving the "NullCPUPowerManagement" from Extras/Extensions to System/Library/Extensions makes me recover my usual Geekbench score and OSX runs smooth as usual.

Reading the multibeast description, it says that "NullCPUPowerManagement" it just for system without a patched DSDT, but by what I have been told by users here, my motherboard doesn't need any DSDT patching.

So, I have no idea why the dropoff of performance using OSX without "NullCPUPowerManagement"

Any ideas?

Hi a was experimenting With and Without DSDT and i discover that with ''NullCPUpowermanagement.kext'' All my audio Software [ LogicPro 9.13, Digital Performer 7.12, Ableton Live 8.2 , and Studio one 1.6.1 ] perform MUCH better , some experimenting songs Full of Plugins and audio tracks Can't handle if the installation has DSDT, and in another HD [same specs. / Hitachi 1tera 32 megs 7200 rpm SATA, both inside the Hackintosh ] Without DSDT with proper kexts that same songs , play perfect , no random stops and no Cpu spikes , no Warnings..... so what i did in the DSDT H.D. i add the ''NullCPUpowermanagement.kext'' , and now i have a good performance without Cpu spikes , and Warnings , BUT.... now my sleep mode is gone...... i have the latest BIOS FC and the Latest DSDT for that Bios and no Luck........ no sleep, but Killer Performance !!

Please read the post I have made. I am having the problems you mention. Is there any guide for a newbie to do this NullCPUpowermanagement.kext??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back