Contribute
Register

[Beta release] NativeDisplayBrightness 0.0.5 testing [updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I didn't do any configuration or used any app that could mess with the keys. By default the keyboard is using Function keys primarily (F1, F2 etc). Only if I press Fn the other functions will be enabled (Mission Control, Volume etc). But I'll try later registering F1/F2 to other keys, as you mentioned.
I confirmed in the LG site that these monitors have DDC/CI. I'll also check in the monitor option menus if there is any option to enable/disable this.
Thank you!

I used an app to register the fn key to other key and finally I could use the F1 and F2 alternate function, but I can't change the brightness. The F1 key changes the triple monitor configuration, mirror or three different desktops, and the F2 does nothing. I needed to figure out if I could change the brightness with other app, so I downloaded this app https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/controlling-your-monitor-with-osx-ddc-panel.90077/ and in fact it did change the brightness! What do you think the problem is? Key assignment or maybe the triple monitor setup?
By the way in DCC Panel (the working app) I need to select each screen at a time in order to change the brightness. It would be great if your app changed all the three at the same time.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for this amazing application!

It works as intended. What I did to make it work was to follow the instructions provided at the download site. Though they are a few quirks that almost made me look someplace else for an alternative solution to a problem I never thought I had before discovering this application.

First of all, I use an Apple Magic Keyboard. The brightness up & down keys do not work for some bewildering reason (do consider looking into that). What does work, however, is in accessibility settings, changing the shortcuts for display brightness to the real F1 & F2-keys. That actually allows you to change the brightness as intended, but with the small caveat of having to hold in the Fn-key to do it. The remedy to that is the 3rd-party application FunctionFlip (refer to link at bottom). That app allows you to switch which function keys you need to hold Fn for and which you keep as default Apple system control keys.

Secondly, a minor gripe. As I am a newbie programmer, I am not qualified to tell you what you should do, especially if it is outside your code's capabilities. It might be my displays (LG Flatron E2441)(x2) slow response times, who knows, but regardless. When I change brightness settings, it responds slower than say the audio controls. Clicking once is instantaneous, but holding in the brightness up / down keys makes it have a delay in adjusting the brightness. The more you hold it in, the longer the delay gets. Mind you, the computer does not lag and works smoothly when adjusting brightness.

Outside of my two notes, this is genius! I love it. I had previously naturally assumed it is a feature that won't be mine to use with my external monitors. I was wrong, you made my hackintosh experience one step closer to the real deal. No point in buying a Mac Pro now (not that I would pay for the current 3-year old, overpriced hardware).

FunctionFlip - http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know the keyboard activation would be so problematic, but it doesn't surprise me to be honest. I am using a non-apple keyboard with my hackintosh. That means, my function keys are actually recognized as F1-12 keys and not as special-os-function keys like on apple keyboards. I should probably figure out a way to map the special apple brightness keys to my application, but it's hard to test for me without such a keyboard. Meanwhile, it's probably best to use the trick from #17 if you have an apple keyboard.
I'm really busy with college right now, but I will update my app when I have time for it.

Cheers,
Bensge

Tested with Asus Z170-PRO, RX 480, Samsung C24F390 and Sierra 10.12.2

Everything is working fine, no bugs and fast speed. Used BetterTouchTool to remap Brightness to F1 and F2 on Apple Wired Keyboard. :thumbup:

@Dashy If you're up for some testing, I'm sure we could get the brightness keys to work. I just need someone with an apple keyboard to record the key codes with a special application.

About the lag you're experiencing, this does indeed depend on your monitor. I have an idea that could reduce the lag a bit, but I would need you to test it first

Bensge

Thanks for the bug report. I have absolutely no idea how my app is causing this problem, but I will look into it.
Thank you:)
I miss using your app daily haha

@Dashy If you're up for some testing, I'm sure we could get the brightness keys to work. I just need someone with an apple keyboard to record the key codes with a special application.

So from reading it is a very nice idea. I'm building tomorrow my first hacki und i can test it .

I can test it with an Dell U2414H . In the setting i saw the option to enable.

When you need help i can test with Magic Keyboard Wireless and cable :)

About the lag you're experiencing, this does indeed depend on your monitor. I have an idea that could reduce the lag a bit, but I would need you to test it first

Bensge
I am indeed interested in helping you out. Let me know how to get in touch with you if more direct communication and feedback is what you are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back