i5 6600
Graphics
EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone,
After getting my brand-new hackintosh up and running, I figured it was time for a small programming project. I missed the ability to control my display brightness with the F1 / F2 keys from my MacBook, so I wrote a small application to do just that on a hackintosh. Well, I know there are apps that do the same thing, but not quite! My application uses the F1 / F2 keys instead of a clumsy menubar item. Additionally, my app shows the native system UI:
Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-14 um 20.54.07.png

Other programs can sometimes cause the system to hang / freeze, my app doesn't have this problem.
This program is for desktops and monitors that support DDC/CI. Yours probably supports it if you connect it with anything more recent than VGA. If it doesn't work, try finding an option for it in your monitors OSD.
This application will automatically add itself as a login item to system preferences. This might be optional in a future release.

This is a beta release and I'd appreciate feedback. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Please read the instructions on the GitHub download page carefully.

TIP: If you're using an original Apple keyboard, this app won't work with your F1 F2 keys straight away.
You can use Function+F1 / Function+F2.
To map Function+F1/2 to just F1/2, there are several options:

LINK: https://github.com/Bensge/NativeDisplayBrightness/releases
[new release 0.0.5 is up]

Tested and verified to be working on:
ACER G246HL
Asus PA248Q
Dell P2415Q
Dell U2715H
HP 2711x
Samsung C24F390
Samsung U28E590

Should work with many other monitors too

Cheers,
Bensge

Last edited:
You sir, are a genius!!!! This works perfectly on Dell U2715H.

Didn't work with me.
3x monitors LG 27MP77HM. May be it's the Logitech wireless keyboard's fault?
I would love to have this working.

Didn't work with me.
3x monitors LG 27MP77HM. May be it's the Logitech wireless keyboard's fault?
I would love to have this working.
Do you have your function keys configured as shortcut keys maybe (like on apple keyboards)? Or is another application using the same global keyboard shortcuts? You can also try registering F1 / F2 as a shortcut in some application and see if it works

Bensge

I think I didn't do any configuration or used any app that could mess with the keys. By default the keyboard is using Function keys primarily (F1, F2 etc). Only if I press Fn the other functions will be enabled (Mission Control, Volume etc). But I'll try later registering F1/F2 to other keys, as you mentioned.
I confirmed in the LG site that these monitors have DDC/CI. I'll also check in the monitor option menus if there is any option to enable/disable this.
Thank you!

bensge, would it be easy/possible for you to add an input switcher into the code? Maybe use f11 for input scrolling and f12 as an enter key?

bensge, would it be easy/possible for you to add an input switcher into the code? Maybe use f11 for input scrolling and f12 as an enter key?
Are you talking about switching the monitor's input source? This is theoretically possible, but I haven't tried it myself (yet)

Are you talking about switching the monitor's input source?
Yes :) I know it's a long shot, but i thought there's no harm in asking haha

I may have found a bug.

When I use the keyboard commands to decrease the brightness for the first time after starting the computer, the monitor gets significantly brighter first and then it will begin to dim. It only happens once after the initial startup and it doesn't happen after going to sleep. This really doesn't bother me because the convenience is still worth it. I thought I would mention it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back