Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Hi,
sometimes changing my clover config leads to a system that doesn't boot anymore. My way to reset is to use the USB install stick to boot and 're-install' (reset) OSX. Once I can boot my system again I swap out the EFI partition with the last working backup (before changing the Clover config) and all is good again.
Quite comfortable since all I need to do is wait around 15 minutes for the reset.
Anyway, the big downside is that the reset does in fact reset some stuff in OSX - yesterday I lost all my VPN settings that way.
Not that dramatic but also not great. So I'm wondering what you guys are doing in those cases? All I really need is access the EFI partition (preferably with a GUI). The OSX reset is just my lazy way of doing it.

Ok, I think I know what you want.

First, can you boot with the USB installer plugged in? Use it to reach your HD's desktop.
Or, If you can't reach the desktop you can boot from the USB and use Terminal to copy those files.
Or, You could be more careful when messing around with Clover's config file....

PS - Please input your configuration information into you signature, per forum rules.

I was going to ask a similar question today as I am a little unclear. I need to troubleshoot a few things in Clover configurator and make some changes, but want to know the procedure if I screw up clover to the point of the machine not booting anymore. Can I boot in safe mode?, get to the desktop, mount EFI and revert the change I made? I really dont want to have to fool with the USB stick and reloading sierra every time..

Sorry for the noob question, but I need to understand the process.

thanks

I was going to ask a similar question today as I am a little unclear. I need to troubleshoot a few things in Clover configurator and make some changes, but want to know the procedure if I screw up clover to the point of the machine not booting anymore. Can I boot in safe mode?, get to the desktop, mount EFI and revert the change I made? I really dont want to have to fool with the USB stick and reloading sierra every time..

Sorry for the noob question, but I need to understand the process.

thanks

Bump

Backup your efi folder to a USB drive (formatted MBR, MS-DOS FAT if using disk utility). You can boot from that. Also Clover supports switching config.plist from the options menu. Duplicate your working file e.g. config.plist -> config2.plist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back