Contribute
Register

Best way to put 10.7 on blank HD using existing hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H77N-wifi (F2 BIOS)
CPU
i3 2125 (Sandy Bridge)
Graphics
Integrated
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I have an existing 10.6.8 hackintosh that uses a GA-EP45-UD3P board (created with the old Stella/lifehacker method). I am building a new 10.7 hackintosh using the CustoMac Mini build recommended here(GA-H67N-USB3, i3 2125, etc.). What is the best way to use the existing hack rig to simplify and speed up the install on the new rig? (I've had some trouble doing the iboot+custombeast+xmove+custombeast method.)

Here's what I was thinking. I could put the blank new drive into my old SL hackintosh and:
1. Partition new drive into "snow leopard" and "installer."
2. Run SL installer from old rig, targeting the new SL partition.
3. Run CustomBeast from the old rig (with correct DSDT on desktop), to install the DSDT on the new SL partition.
4. Run UpdateHelper from the old rig, targeting the new SL partition.
5. Run 10.6.8 combo update from the old rig, targeting the new SL partition.
6. Mount installESD.dmg on the old rig, then run xMove to put the necessary files onto the Installer partition.
7. Install the new drive into the new rig, and boot into the Installer.

Would that work?

Sounds like it would work fine. You will still need to set BIOS on your new rig.

You might consider adding a small additional 8 GB partition on which to install a second startup OS as insurance....particularly if you have had issues upgrading previously.

Alternatively, you could try using Carbon Copy Cloner, then removing the cloned Extra folder and running MB to create one with the proper DSDT and kexts.

Easier way.
1. First and foremost, clone your 10.6.8 Snow Leopard install.
2. Download the Lion app from the app store. (copy it somewhere, the clone is a good place)
3. disconnect the clone (or original) to keep it safe.
4. run the Lion app on the 10.6.8 install, either original or clone (note, if using clone don't forget to install Chimera so it will boot).
5. create the xMove partition on the 10.6.8 install.
6. download rBoot and burn it to disk. Copy your CustomBeast to USB flash. Download DSDT if you are going to use one, copy to USB flash.
7. Shut down. connect your All Lion hard drive for your new rig, boot to SL and format it GUID Mac OS Extended (Journaled) /partition it how you want (if you haven't already done it).
7. Reboot to xMove installer, select your fresh drive partition and install. If you do not see the fresh drive at the Lion install screen, click on the show all drives button and select your freshly formatted drive partition and hit the install.
8. Install done, after first reboot to desktop, just shut down.
9. Move drive to new rig, boot with rBoot to desktop, run MultiBeast to install needed kexts, DSDT and Chimera. Update to 10.7.1 and reboot.

Post results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back