Contribute
Register

Best way to partition HDD? (HFS+ and NTFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z270 IX HERO
CPU
i7-7700k
Graphics
Asus GTX 980ti STRIX
Hey guys,

I'll try to make this simple. I've got two SSD' and one HDD. Each of the SSD' has an operating system on it, Windows 7 and OSX Mountain Lion.
I want to use the HDD as a storage drive for both OS'.
Previously I had the HDD formatted in exFAT, and was sharing files between both OS', which was fine but I kept running into problems because exFAT is unstable.
So, ideally I'd like to have two partitions on the HDD, one HFS+ and the other NTFS.
My question is, will the HDD be stable if I do the formatting/partitioning in Disk Utility? If so, what "Partition Scheme" do I choose for each partition.
Some people online are saying format the HFS+ partition in Disk Utility and then NTFS in Windows, but I haven't had any luck with that.
If anyone knows what I should do, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'll try to make this simple. I've got two SSD' and one HDD. Each of the SSD' has an operating system on it, Windows 7 and OSX Mountain Lion.
I want to use the HDD as a storage drive for both OS'.
Previously I had the HDD formatted in exFAT, and was sharing files between both OS', which was fine but I kept running into problems because exFAT is unstable.
So, ideally I'd like to have two partitions on the HDD, one HFS+ and the other NTFS.
My question is, will the HDD be stable if I do the formatting/partitioning in Disk Utility? If so, what "Partition Scheme" do I choose for each partition.
Some people online are saying format the HFS+ partition in Disk Utility and then NTFS in Windows, but I haven't had any luck with that.
If anyone knows what I should do, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Format and partition the HDD in OS X disk utility and in Windows disk management like so:
Start with DU - format option GUID (Win7/8 can read GUID partition tables)
partition drive split in 2 partitions, (or more if you want more)
format the OS X partition same as usual - Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
format the Windows partition MSDOS FAT.

Reboot to Windows and open the disk management tool and select the MSDOS FAT partition and format it again as NTFS.
Your games will work just fine from the NTFS partition in Windows and the drive will be stable.

I think going bald has set you straight with the above info.

But yes, I have a very small Win7 OS drive and so I have to put most games on another internal. All of my other drives are Mac OS. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back