Contribute
Register

Best value, most hassle-free way to building Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8H61 M-LX USB3
CPU
Intel Core i5-3470
Graphics
Palit Dual GTX 1060 6GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
So the current advice seems to be to go with a Skylake CPU; which I'm hesitant to do given their prices are still pretty much the same as they were on launch and they're 2 about years old now.

On the GPU front, only Maxwell and earlier are supported; and it's not easy to find a new Maxwell or earlier card for a reasonable price.

The Radeon compatibility points to black-screen and sleep issues despite having official driver support in macOS.

Intel HD graphics seems to have issues with only certain ones being supported (for example, Kaby Lake not working, HD 2500 not supported etc.)

For someone that just wants a basic Mac, it seems you either buy outdated hardware for an inflated price or get something incompatible. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a budget build?

Posted in wrong section. Apologies. Can a moderator move to buying advice?

There is only minimal difference performance wise between Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs. If you go with a Skylake system and a Maxwell graphics card you'll still get a system that outperforms many new Mac Desktops and laptops.

See:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/best-bfyb-skylake-core-i5-budget-build-at-newegg-495.215662/

I know the difference is non-existent but I really want to buy the G4560 instead of spending double on the i3-6100 for an extrea few MHz. And I don't want to buy Maxwell because it's too expensive, I'd rather use integrated graphics (I don't plan on gaming on Mac).

I have seen very limited success with that CPU and either El Capitan or MacOS Sierra. HD610 igfx are also not supported.
Of what use is saving a little money when you can only run Windows and not macOS with the Pentium CPU ?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/pentium-g4560-halfway-success-install.216410/

Hmm you're right. All this Hackintosh business seems far more effort than it's worth because the hardware supported is extremely limited. I don't think there's ANY modern build that's good value for money (and a budget build) which has no compatibility issues that doesn't require some low-level tinkering. Might as well just install Ubuntu. Will try to get macOS working with my i5-3470 and integrated graphics (even though HD 2500 is unsupported) when I upgrade to Ryzen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back