Motherboard
GA Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI 2.0 - F2 - Clover
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
I have a computer I am in the process of setting up to run Logic Pro X. As far as storage, I have a 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD (System Volume) for the OS and applications, a second 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Current Volume) for project files, and a 4TB 5400RPM platter drive (Archive Volume) for storage and backups.

My current plan is to have Logic installed on the System Volume, current Logic project files on Current Volume, and older projects stored on the archive drive. My question is about Library files (and anything else that looks sub-optimal). I don't use music Library files very often, so I am not sure where the best place to keep them is. Ideally, I would have a third SSD for these files, but there are only 2 M.2 NVMe SSD slots on this motherboard. I probably could have got a motherboard with 3 M.2 slots for $100 more or so, but I went with 2 since I don't use Libraries that much. I could keep the Libraries on the Archive drive, but they would take forever to load since the SSD's are 35-40 times faster at sequential read than the 5400 RPM platter drive. I could create a second partition on the System Volume, which only is using 11GB at the moment, but that would put the files on the same drive as Logic. I could also put them on the Current Volume with the Logic project files, but that would use space where it is bound to be limited eventually.

I don't actually know if Logic used a scratch file, but if it does, the location of such files would be relevant.

I would appreciate advice on this topic.

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Last edited: