ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
CPU
I7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello

Not sure where to post this, but here goes : I have today achieved a stable Hack (see my signature for h/w), using bits and pieces advice from many of you and following many threads on the forum ( notably Slugnet's, JaneDoe's, HackMack's builds and others).

Now is the time to start using my new Hack and I need to find out the most appropriate software for various common tasks. I am new to OSX so I need your help ...

The functionalities needed are listed below, these are the first that came to my mind and the list is not exhaustive, I'll try to summarise the best advice, according to my own research and also (that's the purpose of my post) according to your experience & feedback. Maybe this post can be useful for some of you first-time Windows-to-Mac switchers.

My utilisation of OSX will be purely as a hobby and pastime, so I'd like for each of the following functionaility one freeware and one reasonably priced software (for example Photoshop Elements rather than the costly Adobe Photoshop CS whatever)

Mail Client
Photoeditor
Video editor
DVD burner
Music Player
Text Editor
Office Software ( is openoffice available for macs?)

This list is not exhaustive and I may add some items in the days to come.

I thank you a lot for your participation.

ps: On the old Tonymac site, there was a "Donate" link, which i cannot find on the new one here. I want to pay tribute where tribute is due - even if the amount is only symbolic - and to thank Tonymac and team for allowing us to enter such a venture. Anybody knows where I can find that link now?

Contribute top left of this page. I gave $20 I figured I gave Apple this amount tonymac86 ought to get the same. :)

Mail Client-the integrated Maill app of OS X
For photo and video editors browse appstore(for free stuff)
For burning disks i use Roxio Toast Titanium
Music player?man,u're on Mac OS! use that iTunes,forget about winamp :D
Text Editor-integrated Text Edit app of OS X or Text Wrangler
Yes,you have OpenOffice for Mac,though if you can get iWork(it's Apple's Office suite) you'll find it amazing
OS X it's not Windows! You'll find out that a lot of stuff you are searching it's already in your computer, and you have to get used to use Appstore to browse for other apps of different categories
Also,Google can help you a lot!

Thanks to both of you . I had been working late yesterday and did not notice the obvious , the contribute link is still here..

As for googling for software and utilities , this will be my happy task during the next couple of weeks, together with gathering any feedback on this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back