Contribute
Register

Best Single Slot Low Profile GPU for a Kaby Lake Sierra build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSI Radeon RX 560 4GT LP OC would indeed be a nice card but it seems to take two slots. And it is expensive for the power it has and it is hard to find.

The Radeon Pro WX 4100 is your only choice as far as I know... Not cheap but a very nice card.
I would agree as well. It comes with both brackets for full size and low profile single slot. To be honest you can probably get a used one on eBay for a good price if you don’t mind getting used. Just get from a reputable seller that also offers returns as well. I bought a Radeon Pro WX 5100 for $180 on eBay. Works good so far.

MSI Radeon RX 560 4GT LP OC would indeed be a nice card but it seems to take two slots. And it is expensive for the power it has and it is hard to find.
I also have this card as well. Definitely worked in my build but then one thing I didn’t like was that the fans were very loud.

I also have this card as well. Definitely worked in my build but then one thing I didn’t like was that the fans were very loud.

I put one of those in my daughter's tiny little macs. I removed the shroud and fans. Positioned 2 Noctua 92mm thin fans over it. The PC-TU100 case can accommodate a dual slot card but it can't really breath. so I mounted the 92mm fans in custom holes on the bottom of the case. Quiet, and works wonderfully.

Here's what MSI and Gigabyte have done due to the popularity and hence shortage of RX560 cards. They now put the RX480 chip into an RX550 branded card. So it is OOB compatible with macOS. I haven't tried this myself but others have reported that it works. Should perform better than an RX560 card does. Some RX 550s have the RX 460 chip so make sure you look closely at the specs before buying one. This doesn't mean that every brand of RX 550 will work with macOS. Many of them still won't because they still are RX 550 GPUs.

Screen Shot 6.jpg
Screen Shot 8.jpg

Last edited:
Here are two RX550s that you definitely should avoid because they won't work with Mojave or Catalina;

Screen Shot 17.jpg
Screen Shot 10.jpg

That MSI RX 550 4GT LP OC looks very interesting!

I'm not in the US, but the same model is available in Europe as well. How can I tell if the models sold here have the RX480 processor? Is it just a game of luck, or do all the MSI RX 550 4GT LP OC have an RX480 processor?

That MSI RX 550 4GT LP OC looks very interesting!

I'm not in the US, but the same model is available in Europe as well. How can I tell if the models sold here have the RX480 processor? Is it just a game of luck, or do all the MSI RX 550 4GT LP OC have an RX480 processor?
If the model number is the same printed on the box it should be the same thing with an RX 480. It shoud also show the RX 480 GPU in the Graphics Coprocessor section as in the screenshots above in post #106. Just to reiterate, I've not bought or tested these. The 480 was obviously limited in some way to make it work without any supplemental power. If you do buy one report back on how it works out. Buy from a seller like Amazon in your country so that you can easily return it if you need to.

Reactions: PBL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back