Contribute
Register

Best Single Slot Low Profile GPU for a Kaby Lake Sierra build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. I have the GTX 745 but now I am looking at this Quadro P1000 your talking about. I may even look at the P2000. My build does have enough power to handle it and can fit in my case.

I would definitely go bigger than the P1000 if I could, but that's the best low profile card in the Pascal Quadro line. Overall, I'd say that the P400 is at least on-par with the GTX 745, but gives it a couple advantages such as connectivity. P600 and P1000 should definitely be an improvement, and I'll know more once my P1000 shows up in a few hours.

Nice that it works! The Quadros might be a good option for multi monitor high resolution setups given the many DP ports you get on these cards.

That is the primary reason for me looking at these. The ability to push 4 4K displays, or at least 1 5K display (maybe multiple? I'm not sure) is pretty nice. I'll probably only use this card with 2 4K 27" displays, though.

Can confirm, Quadro P1000 works. Quite well, might I add.

Power draw:
Idle: 32.2W
Normal load (browser and approximately 5 other desktop apps open): max 48.9W
Full screen (27" 1440p monitor) 4K YouTube video: max 72.8W
Cinebench R15 OpenGL test: max 98.9W
Cinebench R15 CPU test: max 113W

KYdlKp9.png

0PE4Hqa.png

According to Cinebench, this card is close to double as powerful as the Quadro P400 and my previous GTX 745.

P1000 on top, P400 on the bottom. Both are the same size, and same layout.
TKq3jY4.jpg

And installed
pC8h1nK.jpg

So yeah, Quadro P400 and P1000 confirmed working with the latest Nvidia Web Driver. Performance (from quick testing, and a Cinebench R15 test) seems to be great, and this is likely the most powerful card I could get in this Streacom F7C Alpha case.

:)

Ran into my first issue yesterday, though it was a power-related issue. I was trying to export a project from iMovie and my build would just reboot shortly after it started. Hooked it back up to the killawatt, and I could see it was hitting around 120W and shutting off. My PicoPSU is rated at 160W (200W max), but my power adapter is only 10A@120V, so 120W. The reason I went with this power adapter versus a larger one is that the larger ones use the 4 pin power connector, which my case is not compatible with without modifications.

So my plan is to buy the 16A power adapter (192W), and drill out the existing hole and drill 2 smaller holes in my Streacom F7C Alpha case to accommodate. Here is the power adapter:
http://www.mini-box.com/12v-16A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter

For anyone else interested, here is the only diagram I've been able to find for this adapter:
http://imgur.com/wnzdAyl.png

Looks like a 13/32" bit should be adequate for drilling out the main hole, while a 3/32" bit should work for the 2 smaller holes that M2.5 screws go into. It'll probably be a week or two before I get around to doing this, but seems this is a necessary thing. Hopefully then I'll be able to provide enough power to this system as is. If not, I will either have to back down from the P1000 to the P600 (should have slightly less power draw), or swap out to a larger case (which I'd rather not do). Been a trial and error, but I'm happy with this build so if I can make it stable then perfect.

Also, not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread or not, but I bought a SMSL AD18 DAC/speaker amp to use for audio with this build. USB DAC, and has a 80W x 2 amp for speakers (I've got a pair of Klipsch RB-51 II's connected). Also has bluetooth input (not tested), as well as headphones out with a separate headphone amp. For the price and size, I'm quite happy with it. I'm sure a dedicated DAC and a separate speaker amp would do a lot better, but I am trying to keep this setup small and out of the way. the AD18 is definitely a niche product, but for what it is I'm quite happy with it.

Not trying to Hijack but does anyone have any suggestions for a GPU that works OTB that has display port and support 1440p? Intel 530 is killing me!
Do you need displayport? You can unlock 1440p via HDMI with pixel clock patch. That's what I did and it works great.

New 192W power supply came today, and it seems to have fixed my rebooting issue when doing something graphics intensive (i.e., exporting something from iMovie, benchmarking, etc) with the P1000 (which seems to pull the most power between the P1000, P400, and a GTX 745).

Original power connector:
dNfiw1J.jpg

Original power adapter (left) and new power adapter (right):
Hv2JKOY.jpg

Holes drilled (used a 13/32" bit for the center hole, and 3/32" bit for the two side holes -- yes, offsetting like I did was intentional because of the ventilation holes in the case -- I also countersunk the 2 outside holes because the aluminum of the case was too thick for the short M2.5 screws that came with this; didn't have longer screws handy, but this seems to work just fine):
h4D6GTH.jpg

New adapter connected and mounted:
8c0JU4h.jpg

Cable connected, and all finished:
HIERKia.jpg

So while it was extra work, and doesn't look super clean...I've come to the conclusion that I pretty well have the most powerful hardware that can be fit in a small case like this (based on both size and power limitations). Sure, I could have gotten the i7-7700k but I wouldn't overclock. Maybe there's an Z200 mITX board that supports 64GB RAM, but I didn't need that. The P1000 is definitely the most powerful card of this form factor. I'm quite happy.

There is also a 1050 ti in single slot, half height.

It's just a bit "tricky" to find it in the West.
(I don't have many "brownie points" on TMx86, and I don't want to get banned)

I have mine being delivered, for scientific purposes, in about a week.

Reactions: PBL
There is also a 1050 ti in single slot, half height.

It's just a bit "tricky" to find it in the West.
(I don't have many "brownie points" on TMx86, and I don't want to get banned)

I have mine being delivered, for scientific purposes, in about a week.

Who manufactures it? Thanks in advance.

Who manufactures it? Thanks in advance.

ASL.

Can I post their product page?

(I got "sudden death" suspension for putting pertinent gpu sff details in signature, now I'm paranoid)

Last edited:
That ASL looks like a nice card! Impressive size. Too bad it doesn't feature a Display Port.

That ASL looks like a nice card! Impressive size. Too bad it doesn't feature a Display Port.

Agreed, no dp, and its also quite long at 190mm.

But, I'm getting them for CUDA compute.

Two of these are less than 1 x Quadro 1000. ($220 AUD each, inclusive shipping)

Hoping with modest undervolt the, proprietary, 255 Watt psu can drive them? Otherwise alternative PSU required - making the 'bargain' a little less attractive.

9020 3 quarter.png

9020 internals.png

9020 back.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back