Contribute
Register

Best Single Slot Low Profile GPU for a Kaby Lake Sierra build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will have to wait for a LP single slot RX460 with dual DP 1.4 for an upgrade to make sense:)

As one of the previous posts mentioned there's really not much difference between the two. The 750 may have slightly faster ram but that's about it.

Thanks for the answer. After reading this I will go with the GTX 745. My needs are not much. I do have enough space on my case for the GTX 750 ti, just barely. But if I can get the GTX 745 and almost no difference in performance for half the price I will go with that.

You will have to wait for a LP single slot RX460 with dual DP 1.4 for an upgrade to make sense:)

Or potentially the Quadro P1000, if ever supported in hackintosh.

Reactions: PBL
So an update, just for tracking. I've updated my Nvidia Web Driver to the latest 378.05.05.05f02, which I understand as having Pascal support, and all has been working fine so far.

I've not found any evidence, comments, or statements saying whether or not the Quadro P1000 card would be supported, but it is Pascal-based so I guess I'm just hopeful. I've ordered a Quadro P400 (the lowest end Pascal Quadro), and it should be here on Monday. Going to give it a try and see if it works; if it doesn't, I'll send it back to Amazon. if it does work, I'll still send it back to Amazon and order a Quadro P1000.

Assuming the P400 works, I will be doing some power tests (idle, normal use, heavy load) as well as Cinebench r15 tests, and the same with the P1000. My hope is that the P1000 will work in my system (mainly because of my PicoPSU), and be a substantial upgrade to my current GTX 745 (which seems to be a great card, though). If it does work, then I can't think of any way to have more powerful hardware in this Streacom F7c Alpha case. ;)

Reactions: PBL
So card arrived this morning, and I've already gotten it installed. As previously stated, I had updated my Nvidia Web Drivers to the latest (378.05.05.05f02 at the time of this post), so today I just powered down, removed the GTX 745, put in the p400, and powered on and it was just working without issue.

Just from normal use (i.e., stuff like YouTube), it seems great. Very smooth, seems issue free. Cinebench R15 scores are pretty identical to the GTX 745 (OpenGL at 63.98 fps, CPU at 876 cb), so I'm not sure if I can say for certain if it's an upgrade over the 745, but definitely on par. I'm going to use this for a few days while I wait on a P1000 to be delivered, and then I'll send the P400 back. I imagine the P1000 will be an upgrade over the GTX 745, and should be the best GPU I could possibly get for my build (based on my power and space requirements). I also like that this P400 has mDP 1.4 instead of HDMI/DVI-D (P400 has 3, P600 and P1000 have 4), and they come with mDP to DP adapters, though I will just use mDP to DP cables for my 2 monitors. All in all, very happy!

I probably won't do power draw tests with the P400, but will once I get the P1000.

l9u16z3.png

GTX 745 on top, Quadro P400 on the bottom.
FuRjB5P.jpg

Quadro P400 installed.
Jax7ptu.jpg

Quadro P1000 ordered, and will be delivered tomorrow!

How is the fan noise on the P400 in your case with the top/sides on ?

How is the fan noise on the P400 in your case with the top/sides on ?

Frankly, I haven't heard the fan at all. In the case is also a Noctua 90mm case fan and a Noctua 80mm CPU fan, so I can't say that the P400 is any louder than those. Something else to keep in mind is that I have a 25U server rack in my home office, so my office definitely isn't quite (though not really that loud, about like a box fan on low setting).

Quadro P1000 ordered, and will be delivered tomorrow!

Very interesting. I have the GTX 745 but now I am looking at this Quadro P1000 your talking about. I may even look at the P2000. My build does have enough power to handle it and can fit in my case.

Nice that it works! The Quadros might be a good option for multi monitor high resolution setups given the many DP ports you get on these cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back